Ren'Py What Type Of Update Do You Prefer?

What Type Of Update Do You Prefer?

• Short but more frequent updates

Votes: 30 34.1%
  • Long but less frequent updates

Votes: 58 65.9%

• Total voters

Hidden Life Studios

Game Developer
May 17, 2019
We are a new small developing team and we're wondering what type of update the average prefer.
Also, feel free to leave some advice for us newbies.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
People don't seem to mind waiting a bit longer for more content according to a previous poll I've made.

But from a developer standpoint you must also consider that frequent updates are way more effective in grabbing attention of a bigger number of users to your game.

So the answer to this is that you should find the best balance for your game.
Make updates as frequent as you can but don't make them so small that it disappoints those following your every update actively.

Imagine if they started releasing tv shows in 4 minute chunks... They finish a full episode before releasing for good reason.

Pretentious Goblin

Conversation Conqueror
Nov 3, 2017
Either can work fine, but a "when it's done™" development style is not something I'll ever crowdfund. If updates are not frequent, at the very least they need to be regular.

EthanHunt95

Oct 23, 2019
Simple English, 1000renders contents per 2months every updates then no one disappointing...

EnterpriseNL

Donor
Aug 16, 2017
I chose long, because that's where you get the longest enjoyment, but I also find short with frequent updates okay

But then it also depends on if you fast-forward in games

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
Frequent. Doesn't matter if it takes a long or a short time, as long as I can have an idea of when you'll be posting next and be assured that you will, that's all that matters. There are a couple of games that I follow that have on average a 6 month delay between updates, and those updates are always super satisfying. And I also follow a game that posts on the weekly and it is very enjoyable, but I find that I often skip releases if they don't have content I'm looking forward to in the changelog.

Reactions: SoulsSurvivor

Wankyudo

Jul 26, 2017
Frequent updates; albeit not necessarily "We added a kiss scene between character A." You can also just do a developer log in your game threads just sharing people what is being worked on if you want to do meaty updates (Though just be warned that either option you're going to alienate people. That's just nature of the beast; if you do frequent but less content people will complain about constantly redownloading the game for one scene. If you do meaty updates but significantly spaced out during the year, people will call it dead or abandonware. Ultimately go with the workload that you're group can sustain and try to grab just one half of the coin)

Oh. Also if you're going to do frequent content updates; make sure amongst the first things you get done is having your save systems properly import through versions. If saves break from vers 0.6.9 - 0.6.9a; doesn't matter how fast you're pushing the updates. People are still going to get annoyed if they commit time to a file and it goes away because "hotfix for bug a"

Reactions: Cryswar

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
ill die on the hill that a fairly decent content update once a month is suitable
nowadays devs feel the need to constantly push out updates where many include a bunch of dialogue and maybe a few cgs

zuulan

Oct 12, 2020
There is defination what is long or short update. Most people consider long update once in a month but there is also developers who post once in 3-4 months. In my opinion once in 2 week is good interval for updating. And once in month is that last limit where a developer could push and still be acceptable.

If developer aiming Patreon or subcribstar support then minimum 1 update in month is required and would need to be good sized. Reality is that alot of "developers" are just money crabers they post once in month or even less and updates are minimum sized.

Suggestion to new developers are dont expect big support of first months do you job do it right and support will come. Sometimes it will need half year good work to build it up and then you will have years of good sypport on also your following projects.

• Angry
Reactions: nln0

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
I tend to lose interest in games that have small, frequent updates. I forget which version I played last and every update only has like 10 minutes at most of new content so I keep putting off playing it and with some games I just keep putting it off indefinitely and just don't play them at all.

I prefer games that take a long time and give you a substantial update that's actually worth playing.

Reactions: SoulsSurvivor

sexypeanut

Jun 30, 2020
I'm ok with both. But longer updates create expectations the content will be long and amazing. Nobody forgives content that takes 6 months to be made but has just 30 minutes of gameplay (and, God forbid, just 1 new scene). People already expect less stuff with shorter updates.

Reactions: darkengeobr
Jul 21, 2021
Both is fine but im more to the wait longer side. If its a game i really enjoy having more updates quicker from my experience tend to be somewhat meh since its mostly at best 10 mins you can get out of it. I simply cant wait for trying out new updates when they happen so if it means waiting for good time but i get to play for hours im fine with it.

Reactions: Hidden Life Studios
Sep 3, 2017
I think that a combination of both is the best choice overall.

Big updates that take a long time are good for advertising your game, allowing the casual gamer to see your product and test out whether they want to invest any time into it or not. Often times people aren't really interested in replaying a game just to see small content updates. Of course, if you constantly plaster updates then they are more likely to click on it and check it out. But there is a better method of doing this.

Small updates should be used to show the more dedicated followers that you are actively building upon and improving the product. For example, Nirolith (who made Hero Party Must Fall) only updates his f95 page once every couple of months. However, on his discord he is constantly talking to his followers and showing all the small changes and ideas he has for the game. This gives him direct feedback on what the players think about certain decisions, as well as lets him steer his game to better fit his audience.

Deleted member 1017199

Nov 17, 2018
Dude everybody loves short and less frequent updates "Its been five months and I've changed the color a lil bit! Keep the pledges coming!" why else would such devs that milk their projects still have so many supporters. Its why I have such very strong appreciation that this site exists.

Eh jokes aside its good to be constantly updated that a developer is still active regardless if its just a trivial update post.

• Haha

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Overall It doesn't matter much, as long as your consistent and the size of the update matches the update window.

That said Short updates is better early on to create more of an initial audience. It pushes your game back to the update frontpage fairly often. Creates much more exposure than large updates. You can as well 'Cheat' a bit before pushing out your first release by already having finished the next 2 small updates. Gives you a bit of wiggling room with your first handful of updates if you run into problems along the way, while keeping a consistent update scheme going.

After a while when you have built an enough audience and your consistency is set, you can always switch to larger less frequent updates. Just be very clear that your switching to bigger updates with more content.

Eagle1900

Engaged Member
Oct 7, 2022
long and less frequent updates... even one every six months is enough, the important thing is that it is quite a long time and that it may not have bug problems etc etc :cool:

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
As long as you maintain certain quality standard, people will wait.
Not like they have a lot of choice if they like your game, and for them to like your game, that's where quality comes in. :whistle::coffee:

Nov 9, 2022
People tend to subscribe to Patreon when you release an update, and lapse when there hasn't been an update for 2-3 months.

More updates = more money.

The answer is probably "as many renders as you can make in a month."

But this seems like a reasonable place to start, if you need objective terms:

Simple English, 1000renders contents per 2months every updates then no one disappointing...
That's about 500 renders per month. If you can't do nearly that rate because of your computer or your skill level or the rest of your life's obligations, you might not be able to compete in this market. :(

That said, the biggest problem seems to be creators who didn't plan out their story properly, so they run out of ideas or gumption before finishing it. For this reason, you should spend time on brainstorming, outlines, and drafting, so you don't "paint yourself into a corner" later.

Good luck. And remember, :)