HTML What is the general opinion of devs taking over slow or dead games?

Whats your opinion of it

• Against

Votes: 29 34.5%
  • Pro

Votes: 57 67.9%

• Total voters

russianbot

Oct 28, 2022
Usually when developers abandon games, it's because the half-assed foundations that they laid out at the start of development has lead to the game being more effort to continue than it's worth.

DawnCry

Nov 25, 2017
No, why would anyone try to pick up an abandoned project of another dev?, if you like the concept or how something works you can take inspiration (a.k.a copy it), but there is no reason at all to not make your own project, even more when you never know if the developer will want to keep making it at some point.

Umarius

Game Developer
Jun 10, 2017
If a game is completely abandoned, then I don't see an issue with the idea of someone trying to finish it's development. However, I do think it would have to be done in a way that tries to align with the original vision of the game, and what was set up in it before it was abandoned.

BigRedRadio

Oct 8, 2022
There's games I'd like to see finished Selena One Hour Agent leaps out as one especially as it felt very close to an ending. Others like the 100 Big Brother Clones have thier own issues (though BBIS ir Looking Fun) if it inspires you to finish it sure why not, but you're going to be bui;ding on older assets and following the original concept, so something new and update in the same world is always good

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
I'm generally against it. The one exception being when the developer themselves gives their game to a team member or someone else to continue it when they can't. Like Romanhume did with Dr. Amana or when Palmer died and his team continued their games without him.

Else, you're pretty much making a fan game. Like all the Big Brother clones.

PTSdev

Oct 21, 2019
If the dev allows it, I'm game. If not, I'm against it - unless the game was declared open source from the start. (HTML games are open source anyway, but you know what I mean.)

ManlyNEW

Feb 13, 2023
Take over dead games that people are still playing and talking about, and wishing more from.
A good example is the game "Captivity". The dev doesnt want to do more work on it themself because they're against being known as the maker in real life. its a project that needs a dev, and still goes for $5 on itch.io.

with significant improvement, maybe a new level, then it could be resold "for the price of the added content" or given away free under a new maker.