Ren'Py What files does RenPy create on Windows OS

The Bunny

Jun 20, 2017
Lets say we open any RenPy.exe on Windows OS.

What files does that renpy executable create ? Such as %AppData%Renpy location....

The most important question i have : Does it create registry entry in regedit ?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
What files does that renpy executable create ? Such as %AppData%Renpy location....
Only this.

The most important question i have : Does it create registry entry in regedit ?
No.

But if you shouldn't play adult games on the computer, or even should play, the best thing is to no play on it.

• Haha
Reactions: The Bunny

The Bunny

Jun 20, 2017
Just wanted some other opinion on the matter. I caught some nasty viruses from .exe in VirusTotal from a few RenPy game posts here. The type of viruses that even managed to trigger Bitdefender. Thank you for your responses

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I caught some nasty viruses from .exe in VirusTotal from a few RenPy game posts here.
Nope, no viruses in games available here.

A false positive time to time, but all links on a thread opening are virus free. When exceptionally it's not the case, it's reported and fixed in less than one hour.

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Nope, no viruses in games available here.

A false positive time to time, but all links on a thread opening are virus free. When exceptionally it's not the case, it's reported and fixed in less than one hour.
Actually not entirely accurate.
The links themselves may be clean, but that doesn't mean the ads hanging on the host site are clean as well.
So, i'd recommend installing uBlock Origin before going spelunking around here. :whistle::coffee:

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Actually not entirely accurate.
The links themselves may be clean, but that doesn't mean the ads hanging on the host site are clean as well.
To my knowledge, but I can be wrong, the hosting sites and even more their ads, are not "games available here", and even less "RenPy game posts here".

AgentWhackjob

Aug 30, 2019
There are bad actors who put up renpy games torrents that download malware, last I checked it was super common. The torrent files are 'clean' but the EXE is a downloader that pulls down the renpy runner and malware then runs renpy and you think everything is fine.

In my experience the links here are all clean, team does a great job.