What do you call the type of animation similar to wallpaper engine?

Jul 18, 2021
I'm not sure what to search for in google but I think I've seen several games uses that type of animation to save time redrawing things.

I already have wallpaper engine but I'm not sure if that's appropriate for making animated sprites, are there others?

quarzo

Aug 25, 2017
I dont understand very well, do you mean engines for do cut-out animations?

Jul 18, 2021
I'm just looking for the exact terminology for those cut-out animations... or maybe the actual term is 2d 'cut-out' animations?

Jul 18, 2021
thanks. After searching for that term in google I get mostly general animation tools

I was thinking more in the likes of wallpaper engine or dragonbones, which is the best one and easy to use?

quarzo

Aug 25, 2017
at the moment the only i use is Spine, and i find it very friendly (but is not free), why? because is full compatible with my game framework. but if this not involve mesh transformation, then i guess godot and unity have a free utility for use in your games

Jul 18, 2021
thanks for the recommendation, I'll be using Godot so I guess Spine won't work for me. But after searching around spine reddits etc I found kestrelmoon's creature (unfortunately paid, but supports godot) and also I may be able to try godot's own skeleton thing

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I don't know if there is a name for the style, but I know the name of 2 programs that do it.

As already mentioned, Spine. The other is Live2D.

If you understand the technical aspect of how it works, you can use Blender as well, which allows you to max and FBX export which can be easier to export to different game engines. Live2D has a plug in for unity to let you use their animations, I don't know about Spine, since I think it only exports final animations, but if that's all you need, I think spine is the most common.

Reactions: SeasonalSalmon

Jofur

May 22, 2018
I'm not sure what to search for in google but I think I've seen several games uses that type of animation to save time redrawing things.
I think it has a few names. Cutout animation, skeletal animation, motion tweening/inbetweening.
Doing it in 2D is similar to what you do with 3D animation. You build a skeleton, then move each limb to a set of keyframes, and the program interpolates between the frames.

I don't know if Godot has a built in animation editor like with Unity, but I think this is a good place to start:

Reactions: SeasonalSalmon
Nov 28, 2021

check out my wallpaper engine works, i make highly interactive hentai mixed with media and the h games

Reactions: Saki_Sliz