what do you call a game with only story.

Nov 4, 2023
Hello everyone I'm new here and I wanted to create a game Like visual novel, I wanted to know if there are games with no choices or minigames but only story like texts and picture(renpy ofc), I thought of creating comics too but making it in a renpy engine type seems better,.

The game will contain adult scenes(sex) but focused on story and art rather than choices/sandbox.

what I wanted to know is that will people like/support these kind of games? or what do we even call these type of games?

please do let me know your thoughts.

Edit: I've already made a comic do check it out :

Last edited:

Living In A Lewd World

Jan 15, 2021
It's simply called "kinetic visual novel"

I didn't see a successful KVN here so far. But this doesn't mean anything. You might have to promote your KVN maybe rather in an adult-comic-forum, as comics are still quite successful, and as far as I see, even purely erotic stories without images can have some success.
I personally can enjoy a KVN. But as choices are a quite strong and simple means to entertain people, you have to drag your audience through good images and image-composition and storytelling even more, when you don't have choices.

Last edited:

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
If you aren't simply making it a video file, but using some kind of game engine - it sounds like a kinetic novel. From the Tag rules page in the Game forum, under the Technical tags spoiler:
  • Kinetic Novel [Used when a a visual novel style game presents the player with no choices.]

Reactions: forbiddenfables1

Living In A Lewd World

Jan 15, 2021
Depends on what constitutes success, I suppose? Love Sucks was well-recieved, I would say, as art was top-notch and the story didn't suck.
I actually saw this first after your recommendation. It is really interesting and well made, but I think, it doesn't really count as KVN, as there are choices. I don't know if they matter, but they are still there.
The art is definitely top notch, also the animations are quite well made and entertaining. The texts also read quite well.

Nov 4, 2023
It's simply called "kinetic visual novel"

I didn't see a successful KVN here so far. But this doesn't mean anything. You might have to promote your KVN maybe rather in an adult-comic-forum, as comics are still quite successful, and as far as I see, even purely erotic stories without images can have some success.
I personally can enjoy a KVN. But as choices are a quite strong and simple means to entertain people, you have to drag your audience through good images and image-composition and storytelling even more, when you don't have choices.
Thank you for the reply, I'll be still making comics but also KVN. well as for good images I'll try my best.

MarshmallowCasserole

Jun 7, 2018
I actually saw this first after your recommendation. It is really interesting and well made, but I think, it doesn't really count as KVN, as there are choices. I don't know if they matter, but they are still there.
Oh, when I played it they absolutely didn't. They very quickly looped back to the choice until you pick the "correct" one.

Basically "lol nope, pick again"