• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

What are the "levels" of members here and how are they determined

Gamifexian

Jul 20, 2021
Hello, I was curious to see if anyone knew exactly how the site worked with determining what constituted for a certain role. For example what exactly determines when a "New Member" becomes a "Member," or a "Well-Known Member" and so on. Is being "promoted" (stupid word but that's the best way to describe it) based on the amount of messages or on reaction score? Also am curious on the difference between a "Newbie" and a "New Member".
Thanks for reading!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Hello, I was curious to see if anyone knew exactly how the site worked with determining what constituted for a certain role. For example what exactly determines when a "New Member" becomes a "Member," or a "Well-Known Member" and so on.
They aren't roles, just a generic label that automatically change depending on the number of posts wrote on the forum.

Also am curious on the difference between a "Newbie" and a "New Member".
There's strictly no difference. It's the badges that represent a "role".
Yet I use quotation marks because even there it's relative. Strictly speaking, only the "staff member" and "moderator" badges effectively come with rights. All the others come with some facilities or rewards, no effective rights ; they just show what is the member contribution to the forum.
By example, I'm a "donor", what mean that I once (cheaply) helped the forum to exist by giving (a really small) bit of money. A "modder", what mean that I made some mods for the games available here. And a "respected member", what mean that... Well, it's a good question... I wouldn't know how to define it, except that it's my global contribution that is respected, not me personally.

Gamifexian

Jul 20, 2021
They aren't roles, just a generic label that automatically change depending on the number of posts wrote on the forum.

There's strictly no difference. It's the badges that represent a "role".
Yet I use quotation marks because even there it's relative. Strictly speaking, only the "staff member" and "moderator" badges effectively come with rights. All the others come with some facilities or rewards, no effective rights ; they just show what is the member contribution to the forum.
By example, I'm a "donor", what mean that I once (cheaply) helped the forum to exist by giving (a really small) bit of money. A "modder", what mean that I made some mods for the games available here. And a "respected member", what mean that... Well, it's a good question... I wouldn't know how to define it, except that it's my global contribution that is respected, not me personally.
Okay, that makes sense, thank you!

Nov 23, 2023
How come you have a custom "I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way." description though? Are we able to edit this ourselves? I'd love to get rid of my previous username somehow, for example, but I cannot find a way to edit this.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Are we able to edit this ourselves?
No, I have a custom text because I'm a donor. Perhaps is it also possible for respectable users, but I never really cared at that time.

I'd love to get rid of my previous username somehow, for example, but I cannot find a way to edit this.
It will disappear automatically. From memory it's after two weeks, but it can be a bit more or a bit less.

Reactions: Peach Enthusiast

NoiceXu

Feb 11, 2020
Something to think about. I assume gamedevs get their tag for free? Kinda weird since this is a pirate site ....

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
Hello, I was curious to see if anyone knew exactly how the site worked with determining what constituted for a certain role. For example what exactly determines when a "New Member" becomes a "Member," or a "Well-Known Member" and so on. Is being "promoted" (stupid word but that's the best way to describe it) based on the amount of messages or on reaction score? Also am curious on the difference between a "Newbie" and a "New Member".
Thanks for reading!
Previous post about user titles.

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
..u forgot the new ones....like forum fanatic......conversation catalyst......
...message maestro......that's only for cxx
Yeah, because that post is from before the new titles were introduced.

So time for an update I guess.

New Member < 15 posts
Newbie >= 15 posts
Member >= 100 posts
Active Member >= 500 posts
Well-Known Member >= 1000 posts
Engaged Member >= 2000 posts
Forum Fanatic >= 4000 posts
Conversation Conqueror >= 6000 posts
Devoted Member >= 8000 posts ?
Message Maven >= 12000 posts ?
Post Pro >= 20000 posts ?
Discussion Dynamo >= 24000 posts ?
Message Maestro >= 50000 posts ?

The higher end thresholds have ? because there are fewer samples so it's hard to reliably identify the threshold.

And I'm not sure if Discussion Dynamo and Message Maestro are conventional titles or unique titles for exceptionalism, since there only appear to be one of each of those.

Last edited:

Lerd0

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Jul 29, 2017

New Member < 10 posts
Newbie >= 10 posts
Member >= 100 posts
Active Member >= 250 posts
Devoted Member >= 9000 posts ?

The higher end thresholds have ? because there are fewer samples so it's hard to reliably identify the threshold.

And I'm not sure if Discussion Dynamo and Message Maestro are conventional titles or unique titles for exceptionalism, since there only appear to be one of each of those.
noted-anime.gif

Reactions: MelonGod

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I'm almost sure that you can remove the question mark for this one:

RC-1138, "Message Maven" with 12,564 posts
Mormont, "Devoted Member" with 11,925 posts

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
I'm almost sure that you can remove the question mark for this one:

RC-1138, "Message Maven" with 12,564 posts
Mormont, "Devoted Member" with 11,925 posts
Probably, but while unlikely it could be 12.5K so I played it on the cautious side.

Shaggster

Dec 28, 2016

New Member < 15 posts
Newbie >= 15 posts
Member >= 100 posts

I was looking for this exact information, much thanks for posting

Reactions: Meushi

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022

New Member < 15 posts
Newbie >= 15 posts
Member >= 100 posts

thank you for explaining this information in succinct detail, this not only helped me but helped others as well.
I was looking for this exact information, much thanks for posting
same here, i am glad this information was very helpful.

Reactions: Meushi