Ren'Py Daz Illusion What 3D engine should my new game be made in? Honey Select or Daz?

IamUnderman

May 11, 2020
Hello. I am currently working on a Ren'py visual novel game and I have a question for the community about 3D modelling software.

I originally thought this question was a no-brainer; I like the visual style of Daz a lot, it is free to download, and many assets can be found for free on sites such as this. Seemed simple and so I began to learn the software. However recently it seems that every new adult game I find that is of high quality uses Honey Select graphics and it feels like the style is in a bit of a golden era. Games like Stormside, Twisted Memories, Cosy Cafe, and Pheonixes are all extremly high quality games that seem to be on the cutting edge of the genre, whilst most of the games which use Daz seem to be older/longrunning projects. I can't remember the last brand new game that really excited me that uses Daz. To me this is crazy to see because i remember a time that Honey Select graphics were maligned and viewed as a reason to avoid a game.

So my questions to those out there with more 3D experience than me are this:

- What are the pros and cons of Honey Select versus Daz?
- Is Honey Select the overall superior softwware right now?
- Is it worth me jumping to Honey Select despite my experience with Daz? I have included a sample of my Daz renders below to showcase how far I am with that software (I still have a long way to go either way, but I have at least made a start).

Thank you for your time either way, I am also happy to answer questions about the game premise itself.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Honey Select Cons:
-You cannot sell your game on Steam or other shops if you use Honey Select.
-Western looking men are harder to make on Honey Select.
-Relies on modding to extend it beyond what's offered in the repack.

Honey Select Pros:
-You take screenshots instead of rendering, so it's quicker.
-It doesn't take a very good machine to get good results. You can even work on scenes on low quality to get the best FPS, then take screenshots on highest quality since it won't matter if your fps are very low at that point.
-You can download cards of characters/scenes and learn from them.

Also, DAZ assets are not free.
If you download them and use them in your project without license, you are only asking for issues.
There are legit free DAZ Assets (https://f95zone.to/threads/free-stuff-for-daz-3d.22194/) and you can import your own models/render ready models from turbosquid or other platforms.

IamUnderman

May 11, 2020
Honey Select Cons:

Honey Select Pros:
-It doesn't take a very good machine to get good results. You can even work on scenes on low quality to get the best FPS, then take screenshots on highest quality since it won't matter if your fps are very low at that point.

If you download them and use them in your project without license, you are only asking for issues.
There are legit free DAZ Assets (https://f95zone.to/threads/free-stuff-for-daz-3d.22194/) and you can import your own models/render ready models from turbosquid or other platforms.
What do you specifically mean by issues? How would anybody be able to tell if my game was made with licensed assets or not? Genuine question as I am quite new to this.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
What do you specifically mean by issues? How would anybody be able to tell if my game was made with licensed assets or not? Genuine question as I am quite new to this.
Not sure, but if they have a license, I am sure they also have their ways to enforce them.

Reactions: IamUnderman

IamUnderman

May 11, 2020
Not sure, but if they have a license, I am sure they also have their ways to enforce them.
Well my copy of Daz studio isn't pirated or anything, it is legit from their website. And all that would actually end up in the game are render png files with no way of checking what exact assets were used in them.

I am not saying you are wrong, it is something I would have to look into more for sure. But I am not sure exactly how any ill-gotten assets could be used against me.

• Haha
Reactions: Sneed's

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
[...] it feels like the style is in a bit of a golden era.
And ?
What software is used for the CGs is totally irrelevant, and even more is what CGs engine is currently rising (expected that it's effectively rising). What matter is how much the result will fit in the game and its story.

I can't remember the last brand new game that really excited me that uses Daz.
And ?
What a strange thought than switching the software you'll use for the CGs in your game because of what others are producing.

To me this is crazy to see because i remember a time that Honey Select graphics were maligned and viewed as a reason to avoid a game.
And I remember that it's still the case, like there's still thousands peoples who spit on Daz Studio renders, and thousands who can't stand 2D CGs.
It's not because among the recent successful games, those who catch your eyes use Honey Select for their CGs, that suddenly the world have changed. It just prove that, unlike you, most creators don't choose the software they'll use depending on a supposed trend in the market.

Well, in addition to what Winterfire just said:
Daz Studio renders will have depth, while Honey Select screenshots will feel more flat.
Honey Select is easier to operate, while Daz Studio is way more powerful and it offer way more customization through its now more than a hundred thousands assets.
And, probably the most important point, if you are good enough, Daz Studio renders can be used as it, while Honey Select screenshots will need post processing to stand out.

For easy to go, fast, and not to demanding, screenshots, it have always been.

- Is it worth me jumping to Honey Select despite my experience with Daz?
This question make no sense, like in fact your whole post.

It's your game, you should use whatever software you want, not whatever software you believe as being the current trend.
Last year, there were more than 3,400 new games. There's just no way that you seen them all, and then absolutely no proof that there isn't games based on Daz Studio CGs that would have catch your eyes in the same way that the four using Honey Select that you named.
Plus, of course, it's not because few games caught your eyes, that the whole world is liking them and want more that would looks like them.

IamUnderman

May 11, 2020
And ?
What software is used for the CGs is totally irrelevant, and even more is what CGs engine is currently rising (expected that it's effectively rising). What matter is how much the result will fit in the game and its story.

And ?
What a strange thought than switching the software you'll use for the CGs in your game because of what others are producing.

And I remember that it's still the case, like there's still thousands peoples who spit on Daz Studio renders, and thousands who can't stand 2D CGs.
It's not because among the recent successful games, those who catch your eyes use Honey Select for their CGs, that suddenly the world have changed. It just prove that, unlike you, most creators don't choose the software they'll use depending on a supposed trend in the market.

Well, in addition to what Winterfire just said:
Daz Studio renders will have depth, while Honey Select screenshots will feel more flat.
Honey Select is easier to operate, while Daz Studio is way more powerful and it offer way more customization through its now more than a hundred thousands assets.
And, probably the most important point, if you are good enough, Daz Studio renders can be used as it, while Honey Select screenshots will need post processing to stand out.

For easy to go, fast, and not to demanding, screenshots, it have always been.

This question make no sense, like in fact your whole post.

It's your game, you should use whatever software you want, not whatever software you believe as being the current trend.
Last year, there were more than 3,400 new games. There's just no way that you seen them all, and then absolutely no proof that there isn't games based on Daz Studio CGs that would have catch your eyes in the same way that the four using Honey Select that you named.
Plus, of course, it's not because few games caught your eyes, that the whole world is liking them and want more that would looks like them.
I really appreciate your time to answer my question and offer your insights. It seems clear to me that it is basically a question of 'power' versus 'speed', which will be interesting to consider.

I don't really see why you decided to be so accusatory in your post though. I simply noticed a trend of high quality games made in a 3D style I am not familar with and was wondering if there was something I was missing. Like, if HS had a far more expansive toolset or something. I want my project to be made with the best technology that I can reasonably learn and right now it seems likely I will stick with Daz, but I felt it prudent to explore other options.

Once again, thank you for your time.

IamUnderman

May 11, 2020
Honey Select Cons:

Honey Select Pros:

Out of interest, how does this screenshot system work with animations? Do you require seperate software for those using HS?

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Out of interest, how does this screenshot system work with animations? Do you require seperate software for those using HS?
No, a mod (already preinstalled in the repack) integrates ffmpg to HS. You just need to open a menu (Shift + E if I recall correctly), put the settings you need, and just hit record.

Reactions: IamUnderman

IamUnderman

May 11, 2020
No, a mod (already preinstalled in the repack) integrates ffmpg to HS. You just need to open a menu (Shift + E if I recall correctly), put the settings you need, and just hit record.
That sounds a lot more user friendly than Daz.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I simply noticed a trend of high quality games made in a 3D style I am not familar with [...]
The older of the four games you listed is from early 2022. Around six thousands games were started during those two years... four of them do not make a trend.

IamUnderman

May 11, 2020
The older of the four games you listed is from early 2022. Around six thousands games were started during those two years... four of them do not make a trend.
Ok. Not sure why you are mad about it though. I just like a few HS games and wanted to learn more.

Thanks for the response.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Hello. I am currently working on a Ren'py visual novel game and I have a question for the community about 3D modelling software.

I originally thought this question was a no-brainer; I like the visual style of Daz a lot, it is free to download, and many assets can be found for free on sites such as this. Seemed simple and so I began to learn the software. However recently it seems that every new adult game I find that is of high quality uses Honey Select graphics and it feels like the style is in a bit of a golden era. Games like Stormside, Twisted Memories, Cosy Cafe, and Pheonixes are all extremly high quality games that seem to be on the cutting edge of the genre, whilst most of the games which use Daz seem to be older/longrunning projects. I can't remember the last brand new game that really excited me that uses Daz. To me this is crazy to see because i remember a time that Honey Select graphics were maligned and viewed as a reason to avoid a game.

So my questions to those out there with more 3D experience than me are this:

- Is it worth me jumping to Honey Select despite my experience with Daz? I have included a sample of my Daz renders below to showcase how far I am with that software (I still have a long way to go either way, but I have at least made a start).

Thank you for your time either way, I am also happy to answer questions about the game premise itself.
it is a no-brainer to me. hs looks like crap. yes the games you linked too. not high quality. i would take your renders over those games any day. that's my opinion. if you feel differently you don't need my approval to switch to hs if you think hs is better

IamUnderman

May 11, 2020
it is a no-brainer to me. hs looks like crap. yes the games you linked too. not high quality. i would take your renders over those games any day. that's my opinion. if you feel differently you don't need my approval to switch to hs if you think hs is better
Thanks for the compliment. I would recommend giving those games a chance because they are very good, but it is interesting to see that there are still people who dislike HS intrinsicaly.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Thanks for the compliment. I would recommend giving those games a chance because they are very good, but it is interesting to see that there are still people who dislike HS intrinsicaly.
i'm not saying the games aren't good. i can think a hs game is good but it still looks like crap

Saint_RNG

Apr 2, 2018
Personally, I've always felt that HS was more for those who want to 'imitate' an anime/hentai style.
With DAZ, it's closer to something realistic (even if it's possible to do things that look like hentai via morphs).

Izakiya

Apr 29, 2023
I prefer HS and Koikatsu over Daz, as Daz gives me uncanny valley feelings. The most important thing is, I think you should figure out which software you prefer using and stick with it. After all, does it matter if your audience prefers HS if you hate using the software? You'll end up getting frustrated and might abandon the game.

If your game has good writing and good sex scenes, you'll find your audience no matter what software you use.

Reactions: DuniX and Satori6

Satori6

Game Developer
Aug 29, 2023
I prefer HS and Koikatsu over Daz, as Daz gives me uncanny valley feelings.
I have the exact same issue. Most Daz renders give me the creeps, because unless the faces are perfectly done, the resulting character ends up looking like some possessed doll instead of a human.

Reactions: DuniX

xutora

Jan 8, 2024
imo both are good if properly used and it comes down to what style you prefer

Last edited:

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
I have the exact same issue. Most Daz renders give me the creeps, because unless the faces are perfectly done, the resulting character ends up looking like some possessed doll instead of a human.
that's surprising coming from someone who uses ai. i think ai girls like yours look even more creepy and like possessed dolls with that porcelain skin

Reactions: anne O'nymous