Weird body normal map

Yorma86

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2021
I have a character who looks otherwise just A-okay, but somehow her heightmap or normal map looks super weird. Here's a quick example.
arm thing.PNG
As you can see, her skin appears super wrinkly. Especially the arms, the elbows and hands. And some parts of her torso as well. I've tried to set the bump and normal map strengths to 0 because I'd rather have a baby smooth skin than this, but the wrinkles are still there. What could I do to fix this?

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
It'd be useful if you said what figure is it, since some sellers just make weird normal maps. But this looks more like denoising gone wrong than a bad normal map. Turn your normal map back on and turn the denoiser off, see how it looks.

Yorma86

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2021
It'd be useful if you said what figure is it, since some sellers just make weird normal maps. But this looks more like denoising gone wrong than a bad normal map. Turn your normal map back on and turn the denoiser off, see how it looks.
It's Kayla for Genesis 8. Or HD Kayla Remake, I suppose. It's the only character I'm having problems with. I love the face, but the skin texture...

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I have a character who looks otherwise just A-okay, but somehow her heightmap or normal map looks super weird. Here's a quick example.
View attachment 1966332
As you can see, her skin appears super wrinkly. Especially the arms, the elbows and hands. And some parts of her torso as well. I've tried to set the bump and normal map strengths to 0 because I'd rather have a baby smooth skin than this, but the wrinkles are still there. What could I do to fix this?
Aint really academic but quick fix the part PS or Gimp within 2 min?
Remember doing that for eyebrow or pubic hair long time ago.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
It's Kayla for Genesis 8. Or HD Kayla Remake, I suppose. It's the only character I'm having problems with. I love the face, but the skin texture...
That is possibility worst normal map I have ever seen in anything, inside or outside of DAZ, have you got photoshop I can show you a 2 second fix of what Id do.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Do you have some kind of HD skin addon going? Perhaps a rogue one, or something of the sort? I've got her pulled up and her SubD cranked with normal and bump maps at their defaults and I'm not replicating the issue in Iray Preview. You could try tossing on a different normal map for the arms. Something like Victoria 8.1. I also wonder if the HD Details have something to do with it. SubD might solve it too, or it might not. Try turning the SubD for the model down. Not for the viewport, but for the Render.

kayla1.png

Edit: It does seem to show up in an actual render, though. I'd try changing the normal map for the arms or lowering the SubD before going into Photoshop.

Last edited:

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Edit: It does seem to show up in an actual render, though. I'd try changing the normal map for the arms or lowering the SubD before going into Photoshop.
Its this, its fucking shit, need to burn it. dd.png

Yorma86

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2021
Like you said but, swap it for another one, off anyone, or anything, a potato would be better.
Wow, yeah. I had problems finding another normal map, but I imported another character and then their normal map showed on the selection menu. This did fix it, nice. Thanks everyone.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Wow, yeah. I had problems finding another normal map, but I imported another character and then their normal map showed on the selection menu. This did fix it, nice. Thanks everyone.
Not sure where your or how you have your folders/assets stored (I know mine is weird as fuck, tbh.), but if you have the base layout/organization, generally you're going to find normal maps in Runtime > Textures > Artist Name > Model Name. In the case of Daz Originals (e.g. Victoria 8.1, etc.), it'll be similar. Runtime > Textures > DAZ > Character Generation (Should be Genesis3, Genesis8, Genesis8_1, for example. Though Genesis 8 seems to store all of the 8.1 files, as well, at least for me.) > Model/Figure name > Maps.