VN Ren'Py We are making a game set in the zombie apocalypse.

Mr_caveman

Game Developer
Dec 26, 2018
And that was all Mr_caveman !

My thoughts:

• History/writing: real good history, good narrative and immersion. Good writing, very few typos or grammatical mistakes. Also not big text walls, the amount of text feels about right and the action pace is correct. Character personalities are well depicted and are unique, they don't feel "plain" or "generic".
  • Art: Very nice and pleasant. Characters have realistic body proportions (I know some people complained about this, but I'm against of overexaggerated bodies), are attractive, and also the finished backgrounds are very good. As I mentioned, this is a demo and very few backgrounds are not final (are generic assets) but most of the art is unique and the style fits very well.
  • Animations: at the moment only use two frames, but again, this is a demo and I'm sure it can be revisited. There's lots of opportunity also to use Live2D, Spine, etc.
  • Gameplay: The story feels linear, there are few choices, which usually leads to see one or another scene. It will really depend on the game designer/developer to see if they want to follow the linear approach or create an "open world" where the MC can roam around and progress. But again, this is a demo, so probably as an introduction to the story, characters and settings, a linear approach is the best choice.
  • Music/SFX: Good sound effects, but I encourage to improve the musical aspect, choose more background music to fit the different events and atmosphere. Use an action driven background music when fighting zombies, use a sexy tune as a background for H scenes, etc.
  • Room for improvement: there's plenty, but again this is a demo. And a very good one. Very few bugs/typos (which I already reported). I would enable the generic menu options of RenPy (especially "Preferences" as players might want to mute or modify the sound volume), and would add a Gallery option to revisit memories (unlocked H scenes). This is basic in any adult game.
I really liked your demo, I see lots of potential, but despite I'm already overstrecht supporting many creators in Patreon (see my signature), I believe in you guys and I subscribed in the "Detective" tier in your Patreon.

Now here's my advice: fix all bugs/typos I reported (they are all minor and quick fixes), release a new version of trhe demo, then set up a game thread, open a discord server, set up a Twitter account, etc. Basically build visibility. I wish you the best of luck during this journey!

:)
Thank you for the comprehensive review, have noted on your comments, choices and consequences will be added as we exit the demo/ intro chapter and in to the game proper. We will continue to work on all aspects, though at this point, animation/live2d is pretty low on my priority right now. Again, really appreciate your interest and effort!

Topo_Gigio

Jan 8, 2018
Thank you for the comprehensive review, have noted on your comments, choices and consequences will be added as we exit the demo/ intro chapter and in to the game proper. We will continue to work on all aspects, though at this point, animation/live2d is pretty low on my priority right now. Again, really appreciate your interest and effort!
Sure, best of luck with this!

Reactions: Mr_caveman