Others - Waifu Island 2 [v0.1] [Waifu Island]

1. 4.00 star(s)

DownTownDish

In short, I think there is a few problems in this game, but overall this game has lots of potential!

The Good:

Art - I'm a sucker for pixel art, so pixel art is always a plus for me.

Animation - animation is not easy and is very time consuming, this game has animations, and they are pretty good!

Scenes on first release - There is/was content on first release, not a whole lot but enough for a first release, which unfortunately is rare for devs to do.

The Bad:
    Game play - I do like 2d side scrollers, but I don't think this game has any interesting mechanics or unique features to make that the main part of the game.

Grind - I don't mind grind, sometimes even enjoy it, the grind in this game is not good. There is two ways to do it; a mini game and an area to kill boars. You need to collect 10 wood at one point, and the mini game is horrible and slow. You also have to collect meat which that area to do so, is extremely basic and the combat is a solid whomp whomp. I just ended up using cheat engine. Why not just fish? Or forage for food?

Movement - Not very robust feels floaty and like your sliding. Along with the very basic platforming.

Slow - The dev needs to add a sprint or make the maps smaller, needing to spend lots of time walking back and forth sucks.

Art Consistency - The scale is off, the mc's character in the side scroller area is not consistent with the other characters, probably just temp art.

Pacing - I personally like slower pace stories, to make scenes feel "earned". Scenes happen after a small quest which is too quick for me.

I was pretty critical in this review but I still give it 4 stars, the art is good, the scenes that go along with the art is also good, the dialogue is just okay. It's really early stage of development, needs some time to cook.