• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Tool Visual Novel OCR, for translating games directly from a screen capture

Nov 21, 2018
It surprises me that this software isn't more popular in this subforum. It let's you translate a game directly from a screen capture, by taking it, reading its text and then translating it using an online service. Just make sure to configure the screen capture window properly so the software can read the text in it.

DOWNLOAD

GUIDE

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So, here's a quick guide for getting any Japanese game translated without waiting for a translation for months:
1. Search for games in sites like .
2. Search for a torrent for it in sites like .
3. Download the game, install it or play it ( to Japanese and restart the computer before doing this).
4. You'll be able to play the game, but you won't understand anything. Launch Visual Novel OCR, start it by using one of the two translation services (I reccommend DeepL), and arrange the software windows in a way that is comfortable for you.
5. Then just play the translated game! Every time you encounter a new Japanese line, click on the translate button. You can also crop a part of your screen when you need it.

That's all, I hope this is useful for you.

Last edited:

Hodedra

May 7, 2020
I tried to play the recently released Two Beast or Not to Beast and it's quite good.

Last edited:

kbkhan

Mar 18, 2023
Hey there! I'm new to this forum, and I saw your post about using Visual Novel OCR to translate Japanese games directly from screen capture. This sounds like a really cool tool!
I noticed that the download link you provided isn't working. Have you tried looking for other sources to download the software from? Additionally, have you considered using a third-party OCR library like ? They offer powerful OCR technology for text recognition and could be a good alternative solution.
Overall, I think your guide is really helpful for anyone who wants to play Japanese games without having to wait for translations. Thanks for sharing your tips with the community!

Last edited:

DADDDAAA

Jan 6, 2018
download link not working
Hey there! I'm new to this forum, and I saw your post about using Visual Novel OCR to translate Japanese games directly from screen capture. This sounds like a really cool tool!
I noticed that the download link you provided isn't working. Have you tried looking for other sources to download the software from? Additionally, have you considered using a third-party OCR library like ? They offer powerful OCR technology for text recognition and could be a good alternative solution.
Overall, I think your guide is really helpful for anyone who wants to play Japanese games without having to wait for translations. Thanks for sharing your tips with the community!
Just check under the YT video in the OP, you'll see a Patreon link.