• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

VN Ren'Py Velvet Wonderland [Development thread]

Sierra Madre

Apr 16, 2022
bannerv2dante.png

OVERVIEW:
When tragedy befalls his home, a scholar delves into the occult in a desperate attempt to save his daughter.
As the veil of reality fractures, they are dragged into a macabre realm woven with scarlet threads ruled by entities known as The Duskbound Daughters.
His love becomes a beacon in the abyss, driving him to delve into the unknown depths in a desperate search for his daughter and the eldritch truth that binds their fates.
In this grim and haunted tale, step into the father's shoes and traverse a treacherous realm with an ever-lasting clash between darkness and light.
With the blood sun as your guide, embrace both the dread and the beauty of Velvet Wonderland.

SETTING/BACKGROUND:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

CHARACTERS:

GAMEPLAY:

QUESTIONS THAT MAY BE ASKED:

WHAT I'M DOING RIGHT NOW:

SCREENSHOTS:
showc1.png showc2.png showc3.png showc4.png showc5.png showc6.png showc7.png showc8.png showc9.png

LINKS AND WHATNOT:
-
Still very barebone, I'm just focusing more on the game for now.

More updates tomorrow or in two days.

Reactions: nln0

Sierra Madre

Apr 16, 2022
What kind of content tags would this game have?
Other than the vanilla sex tags such as oral, vaginal, big ass/tits, creampie, etc, I suppose the tags would be:
3dcg, animated, bdsm, corruption, dystopian setting or fantasy, female domination, graphic violence, horror, humour, incest, lesbian, male domination, monster girl, multiple endings, pregnancy, twins.

May 5, 2019
Other than the vanilla sex tags such as oral, vaginal, big ass/tits, creampie, etc, I suppose the tags would be:
3dcg, animated, bdsm, corruption, dystopian setting or fantasy, female domination, graphic violence, horror, humour, incest, lesbian, male domination, monster girl, multiple endings, pregnancy, twins.
I'm liking a lot of those. I look forward to progress.

Reactions: Sierra Madre

Sierra Madre

Apr 16, 2022
Dev Journal - 2023/07/11

It has been surprisingly difficult to NOT make the world map look cluttered while still showing the topography/how the world is supposed to look and making sure the player knows just by looking at the symbols which domain belongs to which girl(s) without having to memorize the name of the places. I am not so fond of how the name banners look, however.
It is a WIP. Personally, I prefer the third one because it's less saturated and has less clutter.
The map won't be present in the first release, so it is not quite a priority right now and it'll likely change a lot, but it's always good to not procrastinate when you have ideas.

mapWIP.png altmapWIP.png altmap2WIP.png

For the rest of the night (and tomorrow) I'll work on the scenes/environments.

Reactions: Saint Blackmoor

Sierra Madre

Apr 16, 2022
Dev Journal - 2023/07/13

After finishing all the renders of the initial scene where the father is performing a ritual in an attempt to heal his daughter, I realized that it wouldn't make much sense for him to have that backstory at first since he becomes amnesiac (same as his daughter) once he is in the "Wonderland".
Part of the plot is recovering his memories (hence the "recovering fragmented memories" bit in SETTING).
With that in mind, I've decided to go with my original plan for the opening segment: The MC simply wakes up, disoriented, and has no clue where he is, then the plot happens and the characters are organically introduced in a linear segment in a way that makes sense both for the player and the character himself.
Those renders will now be used as part of the "Déjà vu" system.

The "Déja vu" system
It is the player's ability to piece together clues to unlock memories or come to a conclusion. It's simple to create, it's just a drag and drop inventory with a different look, after all, I've done that in RenPy before.
Not every clue will be the truth. The player will be able to put together a truth and a lie or even two lies, it'll not lead to a game over, just to a different branching path in some cases (since putting together clues means that the character internalized that conclusion and can act on it (or not)), it may also lead to simple alternate scenes, innocuous dialogue changes, and different rewards like different cards or more memories/clues.
The drawn flowchart is an ABSOLUTE MESS to look at because of that but I can perfectly understand it, it's my own organized chaos.

Sierra Madre

Apr 16, 2022
Dev Journal - 2023/07/19

I'm confident enough now to have an actual status update on the 0.1.
The animations are included in the "Renders" portion.
Since 0.1 is a somewhat linear introduction, coding is being done at the same pace as the renders.

progr2.png
I don't like using numbers because while some things may be feasible to make as a FMV, others won't be feasible and they will be still renders with fast transitions to emulate movement, so setting a 'number of renders' goal is sort of pointless and dishonest because, for example, a simple scene of a character looking around while the camera pans around him has 222 frames, and I wouldn't want to say I created "222 renders" when it's just a 7 seconds animation @ 30fps.

Sierra Madre

Apr 16, 2022
Story update

The Daughter is now a brown tomboy, not a blonde girl with RE4's Ashley hair.
That's actually all the update.
Yes, I am working on it, I just don't want to update to say "I am working on it".
0.1 is about 1/3 done.

sneed41.png