VN - Ren'Py - Valkyrion Rising [Prologue] [Arkangel Novels]

1. 5.00 star(s)

Kal995

Rating based on the Prologue release. Don't read the Story section of this review if you don't want any spoilers.

This AVN is off to a good start.

Art/Sound: There's no music or sound and the art is all Honey Select 1-style, but the models are pretty good. HS tends to make everyone shiny and oversaturated, and this is especially noticeable on the darker-skinned character, but if you've played a HS game before and like the art style, you'll like this. Most of the character models are reasonably unique. However, I really hope the MC gets a haircut.

Story: Come for the sex, stay for the story. While the superhero origin story is not original, it is set up plausibly (why everyone is there and what the MC is doing), which is far more than I can say for most superhero AVNs.

Let's be honest for a moment, we all know that harem games have some real hurdles to cross in order to explain how a ton of women all end up with one guy. While harem games can be fun fantasy, It's just not realistic that all of those people would commit to monogamy while the MC fucks everything that moves. Most harem games seem to solve this by making all of the women nearly mindless automatons. It is possible that this game could end up there, too, but I was very pleasantly surprised that there was at least some effort to emphasize the free will of the women and leave it open that they could not be monogamous to the MC if that's not what they want. I will say that adding the government agent to the harem, even though she did go to school with "the team" does feel a bit rushed and odd, but Cassie being able to read her thoughts does help with this a bit.

Anyway, from my perspective, if there are some people who are just in the "harem" for cuddles or emotional support and aren't just fuck bunnies, it will be a bit of fresh air. It's important that every one of the main group has real agency.

Final Word: It's a bit early to say if this will end up being a great or merely OK AVN, but the story caught me pretty quickly and so long as comic superhero tropes don't bother you, this is worth playing.