• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Tool Ren'Py UnRen for MacOS and Linux v0.8.2

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
now it says Can't find the game directory in (file directory)! Exiting now
After i drag and dropped it
I use Linux too (20.04) and it works.

I extracted the tool in the same directory as I have all my games. Then I drag and drop the game folder into the terminal and the option menu appears. See here:
1601914622393.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Slippythefroggy64

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
Goobdoob is MIA.
Thanks for the Info.
Hm. Must not mean anything bad. I got also less time in the last months and was not really active. Lets hope. His profile says last post was in Juli... but "last seen" on 28. Sep.

Also as a side note and to Unren Python questions:
Because of time shortage and i basically as the only one who worked on the dev code for Python Unren AND i think its better to wait for all the changes in the coming "RenPy" + "unrpyc" versions to take place, i put further code work on hold. The rewrite is also basicly done - just in a rough form, so we're flexible to react to changes on dependency's.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Thanks for the Info.
Hm. Must not mean anything bad. I got also less time in the last months and was not really active. Lets hope. His profile says last post was in Juli... but "last seen" on 28. Sep.
Last time I checked his profile (in August/September) "last seen" was on Juli. Hopefully he just being busy.

whippetmaster

Oct 4, 2018
Hey. I am also having issues with the UnRen on Linux. (Sidenote: I installed linux yesterday so I am still quite a dumb in anything related to it)

I extracted the UnRen 0.8.2 forlder into the same place where I store all my game folders.When I run the UnRen.command it said that it cannot find the unrpyc and rpatool files from the folders. Then I moved those 2 files from UnRen Tools to the same folder as UnRen.command. Now when I launch the UnRen.command, nothing happes.I press enter and my terminal just stays as nothing was launched at all. Just a command line telling we what folder I am in.
How did you run it?

1. I left the file structure intact. In the UnRen 8.2 folder, there's UnRen.command and a folder called "UnRen Tools" with the unrpyc and rpatools inside it along with the decompiler folder containing many .py and .pyc files inside it. UnRen.command and all the .py files are marked as executable but it shouldn't hurt to double check because sometimes those permissions get removed for whatever reason.
2. Go to the folder with "UnRen.command" and right click on a blank area in that folder and choose "Open in Terminal".
3. Switch to the terminal window and verify it's pointed to the folder and type this in: ./UnRen.command

At this point, it should run the command.
Next, just drag and drop the folder containing all the files (For example, if I'm extracting "Connected", I'm dragging the entire "Connected" folder) into the Terminal window showing the UnRen.command. It'll now input the full address of the game folder in the Terminal and then you hit enter and you're good to go!

EDITED- I run Linux Mint 20 which is based on 20.04 Ubuntu Kernel (And your bash/shell commands will vary based on version but in my version, I use "./" to run commands)

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Yeah, I tried without touching the file structure and it still says that It cannot find the tools. View attachment 905420

Edit: All premissions allow for execution of files
Move those two files into the your main directory where you have all your games, example: "~/Downloads/Games/Ren'Py"..
Run UnRen.command via Terminal and drag and drop the game's folder into the Terminal window.
1605719449590.png

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
FINALLY GOT FIXED.

So I opened the UnRen in text editor and it said that it does not support Python3 which was set as deafult on my system. So I just installed python and "Tadaaa" it finally worked.
Totally forgot that Ubuntu 20.04 is shipped with Python3 only. I upgraded from 16.04 and kept Python2.

Surplouf

May 5, 2020
For people in graphic mode and want simplify her life. I write this small launch script. He launch gnome-terminal and ./UnRen.command with one click and close all at the software exit.

Important information. The script is write to run gnome-terminal only. If not installed. Install it or edit the script to run with our prefered terminal.

Work perfectly on Ubuntu 20.04

Is forbidden to post a file script on the forum. Symply copy and paste this code in document and save it as launcher.sh. Don't forget to make it executable.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# GPLv3 2020-  Jaques-Michel Desfossés <bulb69@gmail.com>
#
# https://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.en.html
#
# Nobody should be restricted by the software they use. There are four freedoms that every user 
#should have:
#
#the freedom to use the software for any purpose,
#the freedom to change the software to suit your needs,
#the freedom to share the software with your friends and neighbors, and
#the freedom to share the changes you make.
#When a program offers users all of these freedoms, we call it free software.

gnome-terminal -e ./UnRen.command
P.S: i know, is look ridiculous. The license note take five time the place of the code itself. But i have something to say. These four freedoms are the basis of my deep convictions concerning the computer world.

Last edited:

pippo17

Dec 5, 2020
Hi all!
I am a newbie and I write from Italy (first of all: sorry for my bad English...)

I asked for help in the "programming" section but I was asked to contact you directly:

I'm starting to study Ren'py (on Mac, with OS Mojave and Python 2.7) and I am starting also to develop a little project…
To improve my skills I would like to see other game scripts to see how professional programmers have solved some problems and achieved some effects.
I have downloaded UnRen for Mac from this thread and followed the instructions as best I could.
When I launch UnRen and drag the game (the whole game, only with the "game" folder does not work) into the terminal window and select option 2 (Decompile rpyc files) the answer is:

Decompiling rpyc files
No script files to decompile.

I made several attempts (also trying to make small changes) but I could not get anything, and obviously in the scripts folders the corresponding .rpy files did not appear - as it should have been.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance for the answer (and for not laughing at me …) :)
Ciao!

JonasSnr

Sep 25, 2018
Thread a few years behind, but just thought i would add my thanks for this script, it works fine extracting RPA files in Ubuntu Mate Linux 20.04, nice work guys. :cool:

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote