Tool Ren'Py UnRen.bat v1.0.11d - RPA Extractor, RPYC Decompiler, Console/Developer Menu Enabler

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes

apolloladdie

Aug 5, 2017
Problem: Game crashes after running the decompiler.

I have used the unren.bat for a while to edit grammar/spelling bugs in game scripts. Recently, I tried to perform the function on several updates to games. I run the bat, and when I try to start the game afterwards to make sure it is still stable, the game throws back a traceback log, and fails to open. This makes the whole process (debug/fix dialog) useless as now anything I do is a complete waste of time. Is there anything anyone knows to help with this problem/fix it?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Absolutely. The Game is Milfy City. I am sorry I did not include it earlier.
The XMas special episode ? It's, and it's not, unren fault :

The code have a problem, the same label is defined twice. When the game is played with developer mode disabled, Ren'py don't care and will use one of the label. But when the developer mode is enabled (unren), Ren'py complain that the said developer is stupid and have defined the same label twice.

This time you can correct the problem, just delete the files "splash_screen.rpy" and "splash_screen.rpyc", located inside the game folder.

apolloladdie

Aug 5, 2017
The XMas special episode ? It's, and it's not, unren fault :

The code have a problem, the same label is defined twice. When the game is played with developer mode disabled, Ren'py don't care and will use one of the label. But when the developer mode is enabled (unren), Ren'py complain that the said developer is stupid and have defined the same label twice.

This time you can correct the problem, just delete the files "splash_screen.rpy" and "splash_screen.rpyc", located inside the game folder.
I was referencing Milfy City 0.5c
I deleted the files mentioned and tried again. Got another traceback.
I only used options 1&2 in unren
I looked, and the file in it could not find is actually in the folder it is queued.
Here is the log

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\******\Desktop\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 306, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "C:\Users\******\Desktop\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\main.py", line 357, in main
renpy.game.script.load_script() # sets renpy.game.script.
File "C:\Users\******\Desktop\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\script.py", line 266, in load_script
self.load_appropriate_file(".rpyc", ".rpy", dir, fn, initcode)
File "C:\Users\******\Desktop\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\script.py", line 749, in load_appropriate_file
raise Exception("Could not load file %s." % lastfn)
Exception: Could not load file C:\Users\******\Desktop\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc/game/un.rpyc.

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.14.3.3347

Sat Jan 19 23:08:18 2019

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I was referencing Milfy City 0.5c
I deleted the files mentioned and tried again. Got another traceback.
I only used options 1&2 in unren
I looked, and the file in it could not find is actually in the folder it is queued.
Here is the log

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\******\Desktop\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 306, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "C:\Users\******\Desktop\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\main.py", line 357, in main
renpy.game.script.load_script() # sets renpy.game.script.
File "C:\Users\******\Desktop\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\script.py", line 266, in load_script
self.load_appropriate_file(".rpyc", ".rpy", dir, fn, initcode)
File "C:\Users\******\Desktop\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\script.py", line 749, in load_appropriate_file
raise Exception("Could not load file %s." % lastfn)
Exception: Could not load file C:\Users\******\Desktop\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc/game/un.rpyc.

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.14.3.3347

Sat Jan 19 23:08:18 2019
Are you using unren 0.6 or 0.7? I'm not a big fan of un.rpyc, and it's not used in 0.7.

Reactions: apolloladdie

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Hmm :/
Effectively, it don't want to works with un.rpyc, but... I build a project with same version and build than the one used, tried to use un.rpyc, and it works. So, I thought that perhaps it was yet a dev who messed with the core, but the files listed in the traceback are exactly the same than the originals.
So, he found a way to prevent un.rpyc to works that come directly from a rpy file. Which mean that you can't use un.rpyc, because it's a circular reference : You need to edit a rpy file to remove what's block un.rpyc, but you need to run un.rpyc to be able to edit a rpy file.

Hopefully, there's a solution. Download the last version of unren. It don't use un.rpyc, but unrpyc.py. Said otherwise it works outside of Ren'py, so the blockage will not works.

Edit:
Alright, I'm lost. I tried to find the blocking file, so I removed all the rpyc files, and tried by adding them few by few. And it worked every times until the end.
So, I thought that un.rpyc took too much time to load, but if it was that, it should have at least proceeded few files. But no, not a single file is proceeded.
Therefore, my guest is that Ren'py have a time out somewhere, and that un.rpyc take to much time to... I don't know exactly what, perhaps processing the list of the files to works with ; there's 657 files, for almost 8 Mb, in 293 folders. But, if it was really this, it should crash when all the files are present, despite the fact that there's also the rpy files.

Reactions: apolloladdie

apolloladdie

Aug 5, 2017
Are you using unren 0.6 or 0.7? I'm not a big fan of un.rpyc, and it's not used in 0.7.
Hopefully, there's a solution. Download the last version of unren. It don't use un.rpyc, but unrpyc.py. Said otherwise it works outside of Ren'py, so the blockage will not works.
I was using V.6
I downloaded a fresh V.7, and as soon as I ran the decompiler, I immediately noticed the difference. It did not create the un.rpcy, but instead decompiled each file separately with indicator of what file was being decompiled.

Thank you for your assistance.

Key take away, If you ever have a question, start from a fresh downloaded unren, and a fresh copy of game.

Glorious Cat

Jul 25, 2017
When I try to extract some CG from I get some python error (missing dll).
Do I have to install Python ?

1548260378362.png

I don't get this error with another extractor (but has the dll in his folder already).

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
When I try to extract some CG from I get some python error (missing dll).
Do I have to install Python ?
No, you don't have to install Python. And normally you shouldn't have this error ; it worked fine right now when I tried it with the last version of the game.
So, it's probably more a problem with the path to the game ; perhaps some special characters messing with it and leading cmd to not understand where it should find everything.

Reactions: Glorious Cat

Glorious Cat

Jul 25, 2017
No, you don't have to install Python. And normally you shouldn't have this error ; it worked fine right now when I tried it with the last version of the game.
So, it's probably more a problem with the path to the game ; perhaps some special characters messing with it and leading cmd to not understand where it should find everything.
My bad, it was my fault. I organize my folders with special characters to keep track of the games already played.
In this case it was ";" in the folder name. Good thing, I use this one for finished/completed games. I didn't think of the path since it's working with "!" or "%"

DOM76210

Dec 19, 2017
I am curious. What would cause the Developer Menu to not display after using UnRen (v0.7)? Game is The Personal Assistance version 0.1c, and it never allows Ctrl + D to work. I'm sure I'm missing something, but I did try to search this thread and don't see anything about that happening.

random.person

Aug 11, 2017
I am curious. What would cause the Developer Menu to not display after using UnRen (v0.7)? Game is The Personal Assistance version 0.1c, and it never allows Ctrl + D to work. I'm sure I'm missing something, but I did try to search this thread and don't see anything about that happening.
It could also be the game setting different keybindings or having the developer menu related files edited. In a version of Kingdom of Deception for instance they pretty much deleted most of the console file content and thus you could enable it but you couldn't see any difference when pressing shift + O.

GENNNN231

Dec 2, 2018
Cannot locate python.exe, unable to continue. Are you sure we're in the game's root directory?

please help

random.person

Aug 11, 2017
Cannot locate python.exe, unable to continue. Are you sure we're in the game's root directory?

please help
Read the error message. Ask yourself: is unren in the game's root directory? If it's not, move it there. If it is, then it's actually a problem, though I doubt it.

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes