Unreal Engine MetaHuman Creator

Rell games

May 5, 2020
It is impressive indeed but based on the textures of the female model in the sample project the MetaHuman won't have any nudity, even breasts are censored. But maybe we'll be able to modify it somehow, but it won't be easy for sure.

Reactions: PePeTheCoCk

kkoolldd

Jan 30, 2018
This looks unbelievably awesome. Looking forward to see what kind of price tag they will put on it.

Rell games

May 5, 2020
I really hope so! But.. it seems like its going to run in the cloud through unreal engine pixel streaming. Do you think they could make that available for everyone for free? Is that also how quixel works?
Quixel is just a platform, very similar to the Daz store. Pick an asset, click to download and it appears in your project, except you don't need to pay for anything (google how much stuff does it have, you'll be impressed for sure). The MetaHuman won't work like that though (in my opinion at least, there are no proofs yet), it will work as a program, after you finished configuring your character you click on import and it will appear in your project.

nexer

Forum Fanatic
Feb 5, 2019
It will be usable without downloading anything, cloud-base software, in a browser, and the final result will be downloadable in a Maya compatible file. I guess, a .fbx file.
Compatible with ARKit, DI4D, Digital Domain, Dynamixyz, Faceware, .... and Maya of course.

lozuno

Sep 12, 2020
I'm looking forward to it, hopefully it will have a cinematic mode to customize scenes and stuff.

LaymanBot

Game Developer
Oct 3, 2019
I really hope so! But.. it seems like its going to run in the cloud through unreal engine pixel streaming. Do you think they could make that available for everyone for free? Is that also how quixel works?
Epic already confirmed that it is free for all devs. Probably, you have to buy other models. The problem is that they do not have genitalia (Yet. Let’s wait some wizards work on it)

kkoolldd

Jan 30, 2018
Epic already confirmed that it is free for all devs. Probably, you have to buy other models. The problem is that they do not have genitalia (Yet. Let’s wait some wizards work on it)
Awesome! (The wizards will definitely use this for pervy purposes in no time)

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
All I saw were facial animations, and daz just released genesis 8.1 with new facial bones, and yes, UE is a realtime 3d engine, but you see where I'm going, for devs/artists that use static models/assets, its not a big improvement, not as much as the UE5 with the "no need for lods", and that would actually help for static renders alot (load as many assets as you want and no impact on the rendering). Still, very impressive technology. :)

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Playing a bit for few hours, seems like a good fucking solid framework :whistle:.
Curious about the release version.
(if you could retarget Daz morphs/weightmap without being a pain in the ass it could be very funny).

arimouse

Mar 11, 2018
Looks utterly amazing.

But the problem with stuff like this is you can't just create these hyper realistic characters without also creating the assets to put them in, which also have to be hyper realistic. Stuff like this will be great for studios that can afford to work with these level, but I'm not sure how much it will really help the hobbiests out there, but you never know. The future of video games is crazy. :)

Thavus

Mar 28, 2018
It is impressive indeed but based on the textures of the female model in the sample project the MetaHuman won't have any nudity, even breasts are censored. But maybe we'll be able to modify it somehow, but it won't be easy for sure.
It's possible to add, delete or change polygons of a rigged mesh using 3ds max. In the Modify tab of the object, turn off the Skin modifier and make your changes. When you turn it back on, the skin modifier will auto adjust based on the surrounding vertices. If there are a large number of changes, I'd suggest opening the skin utilities and getting a copy of the skin data. When you are finished making changes, you can apply the skin data to the mesh, but you'll likely need to make a few fixes by hand.

I wonder though, if all of the morph targets for the model are available. You could change everything during runtime which would be much more preferable, because then you would only need to do the above fix once. You could then have one model and assign attributes to it for each character to make them look a specific way.

Here's a funny video where someone added a simple morph target to a meta human character.

Adding morph targets is even easier, because you aren't changing the topology of the mesh. In 3DS Max, this is possible by adding a morpher modifier and then copying the mesh, make changes to the vertex positions and then select the mesh inside the morpher modifier. Then just export from 3ds max as fbx and reimport into UE4 making sure to tick the box which says "Import Morph Targets" in UE4 and in Max, export animations and morph targets (it fails if you don't tick the export animations box).

Maybe that can help someone else do it, I don't have time right now. I recently got COVID and have been mostly sleeping due to how hard it is to breath.

Nukacola26

Mar 5, 2021
It's possible to add, delete or change polygons of a rigged mesh using 3ds max. In the Modify tab of the object, turn off the Skin modifier and make your changes. When you turn it back on, the skin modifier will auto adjust based on the surrounding vertices. If there are a large number of changes, I'd suggest opening the skin utilities and getting a copy of the skin data. When you are finished making changes, you can apply the skin data to the mesh, but you'll likely need to make a few fixes by hand.

I wonder though, if all of the morph targets for the model are available. You could change everything during runtime which would be much more preferable, because then you would only need to do the above fix once. You could then have one model and assign attributes to it for each character to make them look a specific way.

Here's a funny video where someone added a simple morph target to a meta human character.

Adding morph targets is even easier, because you aren't changing the topology of the mesh. In 3DS Max, this is possible by adding a morpher modifier and then copying the mesh, make changes to the vertex positions and then select the mesh inside the morpher modifier. Then just export from 3ds max as fbx and reimport into UE4 making sure to tick the box which says "Import Morph Targets" in UE4 and in Max, export animations and morph targets (it fails if you don't tick the export animations box).

Maybe that can help someone else do it, I don't have time right now. I recently got COVID and have been mostly sleeping due to how hard it is to breath.
Check this:

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
This does look good, but not better than Genesis 8.1. Except the editor has a realtime visualization of the facial animation which Daz never managed to do.

Also, not supporting even nude textures. I guess we could modify the tex, but then the issue is no nipples either. No genitals.
This makes it (just like Fuse and Character Creator) completely uninteresting for adult game development.

Also I just spent about 1,5 hours on creating a character (took 10 minutes) and exporting it from Metahuman using Quixel (has taken an hour and 15 minutes now).

And to modify characters for adult games would take hours upon hours for each characters. Daz characters have it built in. This is a HARD FAIL. Even A-list games use nude characters (fx Witcher and Assassin's Creed among others)

Reactions: abrakad95