Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.1.4] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
One feature I'd like to see: a way to order the search results / remembered variables etc. by name or value (i.e. by just clicking at "Name" or "Value" in the top row.) That would be awesome!
I did already think about this, but not sure yet how I would implement this. I would also like to add the feature to put remembered variables/labels in a custom order.

Reactions: theMickey_

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Hey, I tried to create a custom gallery (by remembering labels), and I've got a few questions and issues (using the latest version of Betrayed, for which you also did a game-specific mod, so you should be familiar with that - but more on that later):

1) I tried to add a label for the first scene of Sophia which is a (short) dream of a policemen about her. It works, but the preview picture for this label is just a black page.

labels01.png

My best guess is that the start of this label is just a black screen or a transition from black to some picture, that's why the preview is black, too. But it would be nice if you could just save i.e. the current picture (without text) as preview. Or if there would be an easy in-game way to edit the preview, i.e. by clicking "Edit", then something like "Preview", than it takes you back to the game and as soon as you hit some hotkey (Shift-M again?) the current picture would be saved as preview.

2) The next scene is the sex scene with Bethany and Brandon (the one in/on the car, not the one in the pond). I saved it, I got a preview this time, but I can't replay the scene without an error -- and this happens with your game-specific mod, too! It seems like during the scene the game wants to remove some sex pills from my inventory, but the game doesn't know about this item.

With the URM:

labels02.png

With your Betrayed-Mod:

labels03.png

Anything you could do about? I.e. saving all variable states together with the label?

3) Saving / Loading saved URM files seem to not work...?! When I start Betrayed, open up URM and try to load a previous saved file, the file list is just empty:

labels04.png

But, if I again add some labels and try to save again (using the same name as before), URM asks me if I want to overwrite the existing file:

labels05.png

labels06.png

Btw: Where do you save those files? In the game directory? If so, when there's a new version of the game, I usually remove the old game folder and install the new version, I now have to remember to save the URM save file before deleting the old game folder. I know me, and I'll probably forget to save my custom created galleries... Wouldn't it be better to save the URM save files outside of the game folder, i.e. in the same place the Ren'Py game has it's save games? Or anything URM specific (like %appdata%\RenPy\URM)?

Thanks for reading!

// EDIT:

4) It would be great to mark a URM save file as "Default" for this specific game, so it gets auto-loaded each time you play this game.

Last edited:

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Hey, I tried to create a custom gallery (by remembering labels), and I've got a few questions and issues (using the latest version of Betrayed, for which you also did a game-specific mod, so you should be familiar with that - but more on that later):

1) I tried to add a label for the first scene of Sophia which is a (short) dream of a policemen about her. It works, but the preview picture for this label is just a black page.

My best guess is that the start of this label is just a black screen or a transition from black to some picture, that's why the preview is black, too. But it would be nice if you could just save i.e. the current picture (without text) as preview. Or if there would be an easy in-game way to edit the preview, i.e. by clicking "Edit", then something like "Preview", than it takes you back to the game and as soon as you hit some hotkey (Shift-M again?) the current picture would be saved as preview.
I've checked this and it's because the scene starts with a black screen. I'll put "skip black screens" on my todo-list ;)

2) The next scene is the sex scene with Bethany and Brandon (the one in/on the car, not the one in the pond). I saved it, I got a preview this time, but I can't replay the scene without an error -- and this happens with your game-specific mod, too! It seems like during the scene the game wants to remove some sex pills from my inventory, but the game doesn't know about this item.

With the URM:

With your Betrayed-Mod:

Anything you could do about? I.e. saving all variable states together with the label?
Fixed this in the Betrayed mod.
Not sure how I could make an user friendly way to set variables for a label, but I'll put in on my list

3) Saving / Loading saved URM files seem to not work...?! When I start Betrayed, open up URM and try to load a previous saved file, the file list is just empty:

But, if I again add some labels and try to save again (using the same name as before), URM asks me if I want to overwrite the existing file:

Btw: Where do you save those files? In the game directory? If so, when there's a new version of the game, I usually remove the old game folder and install the new version, I now have to remember to save the URM save file before deleting the old game folder. I know me, and I'll probably forget to save my custom created galleries... Wouldn't it be better to save the URM save files outside of the game folder, i.e. in the same place the Ren'Py game has it's save games? Or anything URM specific (like %appdata%\RenPy\URM)?
This is really odd. The save files are indeed placed in the "game" directory. Getting the option to overwrite is, while you're not able to load it is even more strange. Do you experience this with multiple games?

I do like the idea of also saving URM files in AppData.

4) It would be great to mark a URM save file as "Default" for this specific game, so it gets auto-loaded each time you play this game.
URM auto loads the file you had open last time you closed the game.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
I've checked this and it's because the scene starts with a black screen. I'll put "skip black screens" on my todo-list ;)
Nice, thanks (4 out of 5 stars). I'll give you 5 stars if you find a way to add a custom picture ;-)

Fixed this in the Betrayed mod.
Not sure how I could make an user friendly way to set variables for a label, but I'll put in on my list
Is there a way to check which variables change during the re(play) of a label and save those? On the other hand: it will probably only affect a very small amount of labels/replays, and it may not worth the hassle of yours...

This is really odd. The save files are indeed placed in the "game" directory. Getting the option to overwrite is, while you're not able to load it is even more strange. Do you experience this with multiple games? [...] URM auto loads the file you had open last time you closed the game.
So I tested a few games (latest versions of Betrayed, What a Legend, Estate: Dominate, Being a DIK, City of Broken Dreamers, Melody), and I've got different results:
  • Saving an URM file always worked
    (sidenote: if a game name includes special characters, maybe replace it in the suggested save file name with something else like " " (space) or "_"; i.e. taking the suggested file name for "Estate : Dominate" created a file called "Estate " with a space at the end and without any extension)
  • Auto loading the last used URM file worked for all tested games
    ("Estate : Dominate" loaded "Estate " and displayed "Loaded: Estate : Dominate.URM")
  • The "Load" screen was not showing any files for Betrayed, What a Legend, Estate : Dominate
  • The "Load" screen worked as expected for Being a DIK, City of Broken Dreamers, Melody

Hope that helps. If you need any more information, please let me know!

// EDIT: Dang, I really had trouble deleting the "Estate " (with a space at the end) file... I had to open up a command prompt and type something like "del \\?\D:\<PathToFile>\Estate " to delete this file. "del D:\<PathToFile>\Estate " did not work. Windows... :FacePalm:

Last edited:

Mario8080

Apr 27, 2017
// EDIT: Dang, I really had trouble deleting the "Estate " (with a space at the end) file... I had to open up a command prompt and type something like "del \\?\D:\<PathToFile>\Estate " to delete this file. "del D:\<PathToFile>\Estate " did not work. Windows... :FacePalm:
Have you already tried this from CMD?
Code:
del Estate?

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
This is slightly Off-Topic, but:

Have you already tried this from CMD?
Code:
del Estate?
I thought it would have been obvious that I tried the easiest way(s) first. ;-)
I also tried the following:
  • deleting the file through Windows Explorer
  • deleting the file through Windows Explorer without using the Recycle bin (SHIFT+DEL)
  • renaming the file through Windows Explorer
  • deleting the file with an alternate Explorer (Altap Salamander)
  • deleting the file with an alternate Explorer (Altap Salamander) without using the Recycle bin (SHIFT+DEL)
  • renaming the file with an alternate Explorer (Altap Salamander)
  • renaming the file using the Batch-Renaming-Plugin from Altap Salamander
  • Command prompt:
    • del "Estate "
    • del "Estate\ "
    • del Estate%20
    • del "Estate%20"
    • move "Estate " xxx.txt
    • move "Estate\ " xxx.txt
    • move Estate%20 xxx.txt
    • move "Estate%20" xxx.txt
    • del "D:\<FullPath>\Estate "
Nothing worked. I really had to use an UNC-Pathname (!) to delete this file, so:
  • del "\\?\D:\<FullPath\Estate "
worked in the end. I had to research how to do this, and people also suggested the following:
  • Booting Linux, mounting the filesystem and use the Linux "rm" command (which I'm sure would have worked)
  • Writing a PowerShell script to delete the parent folder with all its content
    • unsure if this would have worked, the comments on that one were varying

So there you go. If you'll ever end up with a filename with trailing spaces and no extension and you need to delete it, this is the solution.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
So I tested a few games (latest versions of Betrayed, What a Legend, Estate: Dominate, Being a DIK, City of Broken Dreamers, Melody), and I've got different results:
    (sidenote: if a game name includes special characters, maybe replace it in the suggested save file name with something else like " " (space) or "_"; i.e. taking the suggested file name for "Estate : Dominate" created a file called "Estate " with a space at the end and without any extension)
    ("Estate : Dominate" loaded "Estate " and displayed "Loaded: Estate : Dominate.URM")
  • The "Load" screen was not showing any files for Betrayed, What a Legend, Estate : Dominate
  • The "Load" screen worked as expected for Being a DIK, City of Broken Dreamers, Melody

Thanks. This is really helpful, I'll look into this.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Nice, thanks (4 out of 5 stars). I'll give you 5 stars if you find a way to add a custom picture ;-)

Is there a way to check which variables change during the re(play) of a label and save those? On the other hand: it will probably only affect a very small amount of labels/replays, and it may not worth the hassle of yours...

Sorry it took me so long the get back at you.

About the black screen as thumbnail. URM already skips screens without an image, but in this case (for Betrayed) the black screen is actually an image instead of a Solid. If we in the future have an option to choose our own image this doesn't matter anymore :)

I was unable to reproduce your issue where files don't show in the load screen. Could it be that those games in your case are in a path with unusual characters in directory names?

I've just release 0.4.1 with some small bugfixes.

Reactions: theMickey_

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Could it be that those games in your case are in a path with unusual characters in directory names?
Oh for crying out loud, of course it is! I just moved a game which didn't work to a path without any special character and it worked! You're a genius -- if you could add a patch which handles special characters not only within the filename ('stripping' them from the pathname might not work though...) ;-)

Thanks for the update. And it doesn't matter how it long it takes -- it's something you create in your spare time (I guess), so I'm just happy and thankful if you spent some time at it at all!

Reactions: Darklord_1965

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Oh for crying out loud, of course it is! I just moved a game which didn't work to a path without any special character and it worked! You're a genius -- if you could add a patch which handles special characters not only within the filename ('stripping' them from the pathname might not work though...) ;-)

Thanks for the update. And it doesn't matter how it long it takes -- it's something you create in your spare time (I guess), so I'm just happy and thankful if you spent some time at it at all!
Could you tell me which character(s) were in you path?

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Could you tell me which character(s) were in you path?
Sorry I didn't thought of that earlier: ( ) [ ]

I basically had something like this: C:\Games (VN)\Game Name [Version]

When I moved them to C:\Games\Game Name it worked fine.

Reactions: 0x52

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Version 0.5 is available. New in this version:
  • Added watchpanel (keep track of variable and labels while playing the game)
  • Added options screen (right top) (moved search options to the new screen)
  • Different icons style
  • Fix: Support square brackets in game path (thanks to theMickey_ )
The watchpanel:
1591527039873.png

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSidewinder

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
It may be only in the game I'm currently playing (SolvalleySchool) but in the new version you just released, when you move your mouse within the watch panel, the panel "jumps" up and down like crazy. It's hard to get it to settle if you want to change any value, but if you move your mouse onto it from the right, directly to the right of the value you want to change, you can do it. Move the mouse up and down within the panel, though, and it just snaps up and down very rapidly. I can't easily get a video of it, though, or I'd have attached one.

EDIT: I see what's causing it, though. Whatever function you mouse-over, its "hint" name instantly appears at the top of the panel, pushing all the text downward, and that's causing the jumping.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
It may be only in the game I'm currently playing (SolvalleySchool) but in the new version you just released, when you move your mouse within the watch panel, the panel "jumps" up and down like crazy. It's hard to get it to settle if you want to change any value, but if you move your mouse onto it from the right, directly to the right of the value you want to change, you can do it. Move the mouse up and down within the panel, though, and it just snaps up and down very rapidly. I can't easily get a video of it, though, or I'd have attached one.

EDIT: I see what's causing it, though. Whatever function you mouse-over, its "hint" name instantly appears at the top of the panel, pushing all the text downward, and that's causing the jumping.
It's most likely a lower resolution game (forgot to test on a lower resolution).
Please try 0.5.1. I've made a lot of improvements in scaling of the UI.

Thank you for your kind words in you review. That motivates me to keep going ;)

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
It's most likely a lower resolution game (forgot to test on a lower resolution).
Please try 0.5.1. I've made a lot of improvements in scaling of the UI.

Thank you for your kind words in you review. That motivates me to keep going ;)
That did the trick, no more jumping. And yes, the game is lower resolution for much of it, and uses large text.

And you're most welcome, keep up the good work, it's appreciated more than you know, I believe.

Reactions: 0x52

oCATo

Aug 21, 2018
This is slightly Off-Topic, but:

I thought it would have been obvious that I tried the easiest way(s) first. ;-)
I also tried the following:
  • deleting the file through Windows Explorer
  • deleting the file through Windows Explorer without using the Recycle bin (SHIFT+DEL)
  • renaming the file through Windows Explorer
  • deleting the file with an alternate Explorer (Altap Salamander)
  • deleting the file with an alternate Explorer (Altap Salamander) without using the Recycle bin (SHIFT+DEL)
  • renaming the file with an alternate Explorer (Altap Salamander)
  • renaming the file using the Batch-Renaming-Plugin from Altap Salamander
  • Command prompt:
    • del "Estate "
    • del "Estate\ "
    • del Estate%20
    • del "Estate%20"
    • move "Estate " xxx.txt
    • move "Estate\ " xxx.txt
    • move Estate%20 xxx.txt
    • move "Estate%20" xxx.txt
    • del "D:\<FullPath>\Estate "
Nothing worked. I really had to use an UNC-Pathname (!) to delete this file, so:
  • del "\\?\D:\<FullPath\Estate "
worked in the end. I had to research how to do this, and people also suggested the following:
  • Booting Linux, mounting the filesystem and use the Linux "rm" command (which I'm sure would have worked)
  • Writing a PowerShell script to delete the parent folder with all its content
    • unsure if this would have worked, the comments on that one were varying

So there you go. If you'll ever end up with a filename with trailing spaces and no extension and you need to delete it, this is the solution.
can be, this help:

i not know. can be ....

Mario8080

Apr 27, 2017
can be, this help:

i not know. can be ....
I recently found a new solution, without script, batch or whoknowswhatelse : use WINRAR to move the file or directory into a RAR archive. Winrar itself will remove the file or folder with spaces from the disk, in the end you only have to delete the RAR archive.
I've done it two times in different computers at work.
(I would kill someone who did a certain bad installation procedure !!)

wusjhao

Jun 26, 2018
hi my Friend, can you add the function of sorting by search results, such as by name during replay

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes