Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.1.3] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
URM 2.1: New watchpanel options and more

Hi all,

I can't believe it! URM turns 4 years old in two days and still there's so much more to come.

Today I bring you version 2.1 with the following changes:
  • Configurable watchpanel contents + compact mode
  • New watchpanel option to view last executed filename:line
  • Configurable width for custom textboxes/dialogue
  • Choices dialog is now able to bypass fixed choices ("fixed rollback")
  • Added some low contrast themes
  • Fix: Character renaming didn't always work in dialogue
  • Fix: Unable to determine variable type in specific cases
  • Fix: Notification was hidden after loading a save at a choice/path
  • Fix: Accessibility features broke URM icons
Watchpanel_currentFileLine.jpg

MAGO-DAG

Engaged Member
Sep 1, 2023

Hi all,

I can't believe it! URM turns 4 years old in two days and still there's so much more to come.

View attachment 3439802
Thanks! ❤

I play games on Android and I learned about this function about 3-5 months ago, thanks to urm I can play games without a mod, I hope we will see many more interesting things in the future

Reactions: Jerk-man

LastlyFera

Dec 8, 2023

Hi all,

View attachment 3439802

Do you have or added like variabel viewer on this cheat? Sorry if this is a repeating or dumb question

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Do you have or added like variabel viewer on this cheat? Sorry if this is a repeating or dumb question
You can view variables in different ways using URM:
  • Go to "Search" in the URM overlay and enable "Wildcard search", then search for "*" -- and URM will display all variables currently defined withing the game
    • You can then also "watch" important variables and get notified if they change
    • You can also "freeze" them to prevent changes
  • Go to "Snapshots" in the URM overlay and click "Create". Then advance in your game, and at any time create another snapshot. You can then "compare" those snapshots and see what variables have been changed between snapshot 1 & 2
URM does not have something like "list all user defined variables", and this has been discussed earlier.

Reactions: 0x52

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Hey 0x52, thanks for this new version! I really like some of those additions a lot, so thanks for your ongoing development of your mod!

Those are my favorite new features: compact mode for the watch panel, being able to see what script file/line is currently being executed and the configurable width/height for custom textboxes!

I do have some additional requests though, and also one bug report if you don't mind:
  • configurable width for text boxes: I've set it to 65% (so I can open the watch panel and still see all of the dialogue), but what I would love to see if the colored background of the "Namebox" as well as the "Text" would also be only 65% in width -- those are still using 100% of the width of the screen. Also a small area below the textbox without coloring would be nice, too. Something like this:
    1710411749383.png
  • An option to save a customized textbox as "global" would be nice, and activate this "global" textbox in different games. And once you change the layout in one game, all the games using the same "global" textbox will change as well.
  • Quick menu: an option to disable/enable the "Quick menu" within games would be awesome
  • ...and my final feature request for today: sorting search results *cough* ;)

And here's a bug I've just encountered while I was testing your new URM version (I haven't actually played this game before, so I don't know if this "new" to 2.1 or if it always has been this way):
  • In the game "The Seven Realms" (R3) URM doesn't seem to work at all. The log file says URM is loaded ("Init at 0x52-URM/classes/main.rpyc:173 took 0.39035 s."), but when I press "Import Game" --> "Continue without Realm 2 data", the game starts, but pressing ALT+M doesn't do anything. (Oh, and for the record: no other mods are being used, URM 2.1 is the only mod installed, no crashes or errors, therefore no screenshots, Windows 10)

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
configurable width for text boxes: I've set it to 65% (so I can open the watch panel and still see all of the dialogue), but what I would love to see if the colored background of the "Namebox" as well as the "Text" would also be only 65% in width -- those are still using 100% of the width of the screen. Also a small area below the textbox without coloring would be nice, too.
Yeah, I should have made it possible to also change the background width. I tested everything with the gradient background and no background for the name. Because of that I didn't really see an issue with the 100% background width.
I did actually also change the background width at some point, but for the gradient background this is ugly IMO.

An option to save a customized textbox as "global" would be nice, and activate this "global" textbox in different games. And once you change the layout in one game, all the games using the same "global" textbox will change as well.
Those customizations are saved to an .urm file and you can load that into another game. I have to think about a way to transfer those customizations easier.

Quick menu: an option to disable/enable the "Quick menu" within games would be awesome
It's on the roadmap (as fully customizable quick menu)

...and my final feature request for today: sorting search results *cough* ;)
Give me another 4 years ;)

In the game "The Seven Realms" (R3) URM doesn't seem to work at all. The log file says URM is loaded ("Init at 0x52-URM/classes/main.rpyc:173 took 0.39035 s."), but when I press "Import Game" --> "Continue without Realm 2 data", the game starts, but pressing ALT+M doesn't do anything. (Oh, and for the record: no other mods are being used, URM 2.1 is the only mod installed, no crashes or errors, therefore no screenshots, Windows 10)
I will check this later. I assume you also didn't get the "URM is installed" screen?
Update:
After the import the game seems to start in an unexpected way. Because of that URM doesn't initialize. If you save the game and load it again URM will initialize.

Last edited:
Reactions: Feyd

Dc`cc

Aug 25, 2018
This is simply amazing! After using it, all I can do is marvel in amazement!

However, I've noticed that some text has turned into squares during use. It doesn't display properly, and I'm not sure if this is because I'm a Chinese player. I'm playing the translated version. I don't know how to solve this problem. Should I add a font?

Something like this!
bde4fde2b63b3e7b507852e3e59622be.png e41ee4f40010891fc7f1db938f02bdf5.png ecedd5a6fc747f754d96885d618fbf37.png

Last edited:

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Gwiffin Thank you for the review.
It's a known issue that frozen variables can still change in some cases. This will be addressed in a future release.

This is simply amazing! After using it, all I can do is marvel in amazement!

However, I've noticed that some text has turned into squares during use. It doesn't display properly, and I'm not sure if this is because I'm a Chinese player. I'm playing the translated version. I don't know how to solve this problem. Should I add a font?

Something like this!
View attachment 3444646 View attachment 3444647 View attachment 3444648
This is because your translation also tries to translate URM. It's a known issue that can occur in certain cases, but of course I will be looking for a fix ;)

Reactions: Feyd and Dc`cc

PunkHooligan

Onion Ninja
Donor
Aug 10, 2020
Hi. Huge thanks for you work ! Have a question. If I didnt met conditions for a choice, but still press Select and game play like I chose that path, what exactly happens ? Does it change my previous choices so game wont break orrr... ? I'm clueless.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
Hi. Huge thanks for you work ! Have a question. If I didnt met conditions for a choice, but still press Select and game play like I chose that path, what exactly happens ? Does it change my previous choices so game wont break orrr... ? I'm clueless.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
No, selecting a choice that you wouldn't otherwise meet the conditions to see within the game's logic just triggers the code block attached to that choice. It doesn't retroactively change anything about the conditions for the choice appearing. Game logic is up to the developer of the game, and it would be next to impossible for URM to be able to find any conflicts or discrepancies.

Reactions: 0x52 and theMickey_

N0lla

Aug 25, 2023
Could you add a feature where a remembered variable is saved so if you quit the game and reload after quitting the variables are remembered.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TheSidewinder

hsehsing

Jul 11, 2017
Any chance of the hotkeys support being added?
Like setting variables or calling function on pressing a button?

Sep 28, 2021
We know this URM works for only Ren'py VN but anyone can tell me does RPGM VN's also have this kind of mod and also it is working for Android ones
I'm asking this question bcs some RPGM VN's like NLT Media VN'S work on RPGM so if there is any mod for RPGM so we can hack??
Please anyone know this please tell me.
Thank you

Dc`cc

Aug 25, 2018
Gwiffin Thank you for the review.
It's a known issue that frozen variables can still change in some cases. This will be addressed in a future release.

This is because your translation also tries to translate URM. It's a known issue that can occur in certain cases, but of course I will be looking for a fix ;)

Thank you for your response!

May I suggest something? It would be great if you could add support for multiple languages! My English is just okay; while the mod is easy to use, I would really appreciate being able to use this fantastic mod in my native language!

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Thank you for your response!

May I suggest something? It would be great if you could add support for multiple languages! My English is just okay; while the mod is easy to use, I would really appreciate being able to use this fantastic mod in my native language!
Next release prevents Renpy from translating URM, but this solution also offers the option to translate URM in the future. That would still take quite some work to implement.

Reactions: Feyd

Dc`cc

Aug 25, 2018
Next release prevents Renpy from translating URM, but this solution also offers the option to translate URM in the future. That would still take quite some work to implement.
Thank you for your response! It's great to hear that you're considering future updates for multi-language support. I truly believe this will enhance the experience for many users.

I understand that implementing such a feature is no small task, but I have confidence in your ability to improve the mod even further. I'll be keeping a close eye on your updates and am excited to see what new developments you have in store. Keep up the fantastic work, and I look forward to the surprises your mod will continue to bring!

Reactions: 0x52 and theMickey_
5.00 star(s) 33 Votes