Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.1.4] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
URM get's blocked by the game TheHardWayFree it close direct and the game say's no mod's allowed
Please report this to the dev of the game itself, and not in this thread. If the game dev has implemented mechanics to prevent you from using mods, it's usually nothing URM can deal with.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Trying to use this in Max In The Big City, as it's quite buggy atm, but looks like it's crashing at startup. Using the latest 0x52 file.
That's using an unsupported Ren'Py version.

URM get's blocked by the game TheHardWayFree it close direct and the game say's no mod's allowed
See:
Like theMickey_ said. If you want help, ask in a normal way! I actually just wanted to ignore this, because of the large text, but because I don't appreciate devs blocking mods, I decided to make a quick workaround.

Grab the attached file and extract it into the "game" folder.
I think this is the best approach for this. The attached script catches if the game tries to quit and gives you the option to prevent/cancel that.
View attachment 2744565 View attachment 2744567
And:

It's because the developer does not want you to use any mods with their game:

View attachment 3310065

I've tried to disable those checks, but even then the game just closes again after a couple of screens. It's because the developer seem to have added those checks at certain points because they really, really don't want you to use any mods.

Challenge accepted! :p

Attached you'll find a fix for The Hard Way version 0.31.01 (will most probably not work with any future version), and here's how you can get it working:
  1. You'll have to "unren" your game (make sure URM isn't installed at that time)
  2. Download the attached file, and extract it into the game folder
  3. Add URM
  4. Run the game and enjoy
View attachment 3310105
View attachment 3310106

And:
It's mentioned under "unsupported games" in the second post of this thread:

Previously I've created a workaround for it. I don't know if it still works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bzshr and Ssato243

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Window 11, when I first tried it and then copying and pasting it did not work and I just stop doing that and place a new one in.
I still have the one from when I first downloaded it several weeks ago.
I'm using android, sometimes in joiplay, sometimes in android ports.
I don't know about overruling the global setting, I just set the opacity to 45% and choose the vulcano theme, then click on save on the top right side and name the urm file, then I copy both the urm file that I named and the rpa file to the game location, and load the urm file after opening the game, then I can only find the textbox changes that I made, the other settings don't change, they become the default 10% opacity and the default theme is applied.
There seems to be a misunderstanding about where URM settings are saved.
Things like variables, labels, renaming and textboxes are saved in an .urm file, but the settings are saved separately.
Local URM settings are saved in the game's persistent file. Where global settings are saved depends on the OS you're on (it the same location Ren'Py stores its saved outside of the game's folder).

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Well I'm on Android 11, but I can't find any other URM files that store the settings? Is it hidden or inaccessible? Can you share a screenshot of a file like that and what it's named?
I'm not all to familiar with Ren'Py on Android. I don't think all Android ports have the second saves location.
You can check from within URM by choosing to save and then in the save dialog press the question mark next to the save button. This will show the save locations the game uses.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Yeah that's the same URM file I told you about from before, it doesn't save the settings, it only saves the other stuff like textbox.
Can you try making a URM file with the global settings after you change the opacity to 45% and the theme to vulcano?
Then share it so that I can check and let you know if it works.
Like I said before. Settings are NOT saved in an .urm file!
Could you check which paths are shown when you press the question mark next to the save button in the save dialog?

RedChronic

Mar 18, 2020
Is there a way to get the old UI back with current working version?
I had been using URM from awhile ago and not updated but yesterday it wouldnt work on 2 games so i downloaded latest version.
I just really prefer the design/UI how it was before.

edit: btw love URM overall I use it on every single game and would hate to go without it now that I am used to it!
Didn't mean to sound negative or insult the changes you've made i just really liked how it looked before and was wondering if there's a way to make it look like that with the new settings.

Last edited:

yamabear

Dec 27, 2020
There seems to be a misunderstanding about where URM settings are saved.
Things like variables, labels, renaming and textboxes are saved in an .urm file, but the settings are saved separately.
Local URM settings are saved in the game's persistent file. Where global settings are saved depends on the OS you're on (it the same location Ren'Py stores its saved outside of the game's folder).

Hi!:cool:
A question! Text box:
It is possible to adjust the transparency of the text box (to 100%) without
also change the formatting (alignment) of the text and its game font?

If yes, how should I proceed with this objective using 0x.52_URM?

Thanks in advance!(y)
And I'm sorry if this question is recurring here on the forum.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Hi!:cool:
A question! Text box:
It is possible to adjust the transparency of the text box (to 100%) without
also change the formatting (alignment) of the text and its game font?

If yes, how should I proceed with this objective using 0x.52_URM?

Thanks in advance!(y)
And I'm sorry if this question is recurring here on the forum.
You are looking for this?
1708779430417.png

Unfortunately you cannot keep the game's font.

Sep 1, 2019
Is there a way to change the appearance back to the old blue version? Just updated because of the error many people have been getting in certain games and was greeted with a way uglier UI.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
latest version of https://f95zone.to/threads/deadmoon-survival-v0-8-hot-tomato.97784/ somehow breaks all icons in URM, not sure what exactly is happening and why
I did a quick test using the latest version of the game (0.8) and the latest version of URM (2.0.3) and it works perfectly fine on my end:

1708861591948.png

not sure what exactly is happening and why
That's why it's best to full out a proper and complete bug report ;)
Reporting an issue
When reporting an issue with URM, please include the information below:
  • Are you using the latest version of URM?
  • Which game has the issue (preferable a link to the game's thread)
  • If it's a crash (grey screen) attach the "traceback.txt" file
  • What did you do that caused the issue?
  • Attach a screenshot of the issue (if possible)
  • When URM gave an error (not a grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
  • What OS are you on?
  • Do you have any other mods installed? Does the issue still exist without the other mod(s)?

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Is there a way to change the appearance back to the old blue version? Just updated because of the error many people have been getting in certain games and was greeted with a way uglier UI.
No you cannot. Next URM release will have some lower contrast themes, but the design will stay the same.

latest version of https://f95zone.to/threads/deadmoon-survival-v0-8-hot-tomato.97784/ somehow breaks all icons in URM, not sure what exactly is happening and why
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I assume you've changed the game's font. See this:
Whoops... URM used to prevent this, but I had to change that piece of code because of changes in URM v2, but forgot to do it.
Will be fixed in the next update ;)

Danv

Aug 21, 2020
you mean fonts defined in gui.rpy? sure, but i also tried game in vanilla state without any mods, cleaned persistent file and deleted cache - problem still persist
is it some specific bug? because i'm always changing fonts in every single VN i play and it's first time i'm encountering such problem

edit: nevermind, i'm stupid, it indeed was set in shift+a menu to non default font, probably years ago, i'm just using mods now instead
not sure where it was saved, i deleted everything both from game path and appdata

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019
No you cannot. Next URM release will have some lower contrast themes, but the design will stay the same.

What a shame. The blocky version just looks way worse than the smooth 1.15 release. Still, thanks for the tool. I'll still be using 1.15 till I can't anymore.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
This is clearly something with the game, not with URM. Did you try the game's thread?
Also, if you need help, provide some details. Most importantly, what game are we talking about?! What are things you've already tried?

You can use this when reporting an issue:
Reporting an issue
When reporting an issue with URM, please include the information below:
  • Are you using the latest version of URM?
  • Which game has the issue (preferable a link to the game's thread)
  • If it's a crash (grey screen) attach the "traceback.txt" file
  • What did you do that caused the issue?
  • Attach a screenshot of the issue (if possible)
  • When URM gave an error (not a grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
  • What OS are you on?
  • Do you have any other mods installed? Does the issue still exist without the other mod(s)?

LastlyFera

Dec 8, 2023
This is clearly something with the game, not with URM. Did you try the game's thread?
Also, if you need help, provide some details. Most importantly, what game are we talking about?! What are things you've already tried?

You can use this when reporting an issue:

Ohh, hey thanks for the replied. It's all good now. I look at the game thread someone gave me a fix for this. Your mod's working fine.

Reactions: 0x52

Kyoto97

Aug 15, 2020
You are looking for this?
View attachment 3382195

Unfortunately you cannot keep the game's font.
About alignment on Mode Full, maybe the middle Alignment should have 2 version.
  • The first one should be your original (when i assign it, the dialogue would spread to Left to Right of Screen)
  • Second maybe have Space break/Blank space that the text/dialogue have limit spaces between screen.

v1.jpg v2.jpg

Welp, that would be great addition to your mod, considering few games have dialogue that spread Left to Right screen. I myself playing on big screen that sometimes would be sore to my eyes when reading Left to Right edge of screen.

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes