Ren'Py Unable to open Ren'Py exe files after downloading [SOLVED]

gongon115

Apr 30, 2020
Hello, I am trying to open the game:

https://f95zone.to/threads/my-loyal-pets-v1-0-se-dumb-koala-games.136270/

I downloaded the correct version. I am running windows 10.

After downloading and extracting through 7zipm, I try to run the exe and nothing happens. The game does not open, I check task manager and do not see any indication that the game is being opened. I am not sure where to find the logs for the files, maybe that would help.

I have deleted and redownloaded, and I have tried other games to check if it was just this game that i was having problems with. Unfortunately Ren'py exe files just arent opening. Any help would be appreciated, and if there is any info that I could send to you that would help I'd be glad to. Thanks for the help!

Richard Fappington

Donor
Jul 30, 2018
I was able to download and launch with no issues.

Can you provide a screenshot of the root directory where the exe lives?
Is there a log.txt file next to the exe? If so what's in it?
You can also check directory "%appdata%\RenPy\persistent" sometimes deleting data there helps.

Last edited:

gongon115

Apr 30, 2020
Here is a screenshot of where i downloaded and extracted the files to. I see no log.txt file unfortunately, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

"You can also check directory "%appdata%\RenPy\persistent" sometimes deleting data there helps."

I found a file listed as such. Im scared to delete data because it might corrupt the game, not really sure what data to delete. thanks for all the help

gongon115

Apr 30, 2020
Here is a screenshot of where i downloaded and extracted the files to. I see no log.txt file unfortunately, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

"You can also check directory "%appdata%\RenPy\persistent" sometimes deleting data there helps."

I found a file listed as such. Im scared to delete data because it might corrupt the game, not really sure what data to delete. thanks for all the help
Also if i could take a recording of what happens. I click to run as admin and i dont get any response from the game or my computer

gongon115

Apr 30, 2020
just downloaded a different game to my main SSD and it worked perfectly. gonna try to download to my main SSD and update

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017

It's the ;)in the directory name Games ;)that fucks things up. Remove it and it will work.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
You can also check directory "%appdata%\RenPy\persistent" sometimes deleting data there helps.
No, no and no ! You can delete any folder in "%appdata%\Roaming\RenPy" that you want except "persistent" and "tokens". The first one is used to store data shared between different games (by example for stories that change game between two updates), and the second is used by the feature securing the saves.

Richard Fappington

Donor
Jul 30, 2018
No, no and no ! You can delete any folder in "%appdata%\Roaming\RenPy" that you want except "persistent" and "tokens". The first one is used to store data shared between different games (by example for stories that change game between two updates), and the second is used by the feature securing the saves.
Where did I say to delete the folder? I said to check it and that sometimes deleting data there helps. I've seen problematic files within cause games not to launch before. Obviously the path was the issue here, which is why I first asked for a screenshot of the directory.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Where did I say to delete the folder?
Deleting the folder and deleting parts of its content lead to the same result.

I've seen problematic files within cause games not to launch before.
Yeah, "[path to game]\game\saves\persistent." / "%appdata%\roaming\RenPy\[gameID]\persistent." files can sometimes lead to issue due to a corrupted previous update of the game. But it's something totally unrelated to the "%appdata%\roaming\RenPy\persistent" directory you pointed at.