4.20 star(s) 18 Votes

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
There's nothing wrong with a fur bikini in a cave that's supposed to be cold (since they're going up to the icy north)? She would be freezing her ass off.
well tell that to red sonja who wears METAL bikins even on icy north or conan who wears loincloth on icy north.

Reactions: SpatulaPie

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
well tell that to red sonja who wears METAL bikins even on icy north or conan who wears loincloth on icy north.
That's because both Conan and Red Sonja are climatized on harsh icy north. :p
conan is but sonja was born on warm place.
Are we supposed to be in the same fantasy world as Conan and Red Sonja? If not, what they wear doesn't matter for the ToaM world, does it? (Personally, I always thought that was one of the dumbest things about that entire series of barbarian stories. My suspension of disbelief won't allow me to accept that they don't get frostbite wearing so little.)

• Haha
Reactions: cxx

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
You can become climatized by living in area long enough, it's part of our bodies adaptation abilities. Though or course there's individual differences how effective it is.
True, but only to a limited extent. But Eskimos dress in furs, etc., and they live in arctic climes their whole lives. At a certain point, even a body's adaptive abilities get taxed and can't keep up, at least not unless generations pass and descendants adapt further. And in the case of ToaM, we're talking about people who don't already live in the cold climates and adapting within a few weeks... maybe. It's unrealistic at best, unless there's some magical reason, obviously.

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
Are we supposed to be in the same fantasy world as Conan and Red Sonja? If not, what they wear doesn't matter for the ToaM world, does it? (Personally, I always thought that was one of the dumbest things about that entire series of barbarian stories. My suspension of disbelief won't allow me to accept that they don't get frostbite wearing so little.)
I'm all for realism. The clothing has been realistic for most parts, there is so far three exceptions to the rule. Aria and her chain top, but that's what she wants to do. The one hidden image, but again, that character, if she appears, is someone who doesn't care what others think. And Maevra... she is the problem for most parts. And Helga and couple other female dwarfs. And Rielle to a point.

Things just breaks with them, they are... problematic. I have 442 items classified as shirts for Genesis 8 female, and when counting the futuristic and modern ones, there are about six shirts that don't deform or aren't shrinkwrapped (or I can fix with morphs or relatively easily) for Maevra. Discounting the modern and futuristic ones? Two are left. And they are pretty much the same. One is more summery and one might work for colder climates. And the only chest armour that works somewhat for her is what she is already using...

I think there is about one dress that actually works. Maybe two? Would need to check one other file, but I have a vague recollection that I had to use some camera tricks to hide things that weren't functioning properly.

Anyways... This is what Maevra ends up looking in colder climates. It's about all the clothes she can wear without breaking. Outside of one cloak that I might end up using, but those cloaks aren't fun if there is a lot of movement in the scene.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Like I said, fur bikini... although I deleted the fur cause fuck dForce fur, it sucks. >.> Although the new shader makes it more or less useable, just didn't want to mess with it for a quick render.

EDIT: But I did anticipate the clothing issue, thanks to Sage and Sabrina to a point, which is why there is already mention of the hot/heat stones in one of the updates when talking to Maevra (and in the progress post). For "normal" bodied characters I can create something that looks relatively "normal" for colder weather. And most of them can wear some sort of cloaks more easily so it's non-issue for them what they wear underneath them. Could be naked all we know. >.>

You can become climatized by living in area long enough, it's part of our bodies adaptation abilities. Though or course there's individual differences how effective it is.
True, but only to a limited extent. But Eskimos dress in furs, etc., and they live in arctic climes their whole lives. At a certain point, even a body's adaptive abilities get taxed and can't keep up, at least not unless generations pass and descendants adapt further. And in the case of ToaM, we're talking about people who don't already live in the cold climates and adapting within a few weeks... maybe. It's unrealistic at best, unless there's some magical reason, obviously.
On average, it takes about a week to get used to temperature changes (goes both ways). But some people are more adapted for cold than they are heat. I'm one of them, I can walk normally in a t-shirt when there is -30 Celsius, I don't feel cold. Although, I'm not that stupid to stay that long outside in that temperature. While I don't feel cold, it doesn't mean it wouldn't cause damage over a longer period. But a couple hundred meters as long as it isn't windy? Yeah, no problem. And yes, it does get that cold in here. Last winter -36,7 Celcius...

Last edited:

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I'm all for realism. The clothing has been realistic for most parts, there is so far three exceptions to the rule. Aria and her chain top, but that's what she wants to do. The one hidden image, but again, that character, if she appears, is someone who doesn't care what others think. And Maevra... she is the problem for most parts. And Helga and couple other female dwarfs. And Rielle to a point.

Things just breaks with them, they are... problematic. I have 442 items classified as shirts for Genesis 8 female, and when counting the futuristic and modern ones, there are about six shirts that don't deform or aren't shrinkwrapped (or I can fix with morphs or relatively easily) for Maevra. Discounting the modern and futuristic ones? Two are left. And they are pretty much the same. One is more summery and one might work for colder climates. And the only chest armour that works somewhat for her is what she is already using...

I think there is about one dress that actually works. Maybe two? Would need to check one other file, but I have a vague recollection that I had to use some camera tricks to hide things that weren't functioning properly.

Anyways... This is what Maevra ends up looking in colder climates. It's about all the clothes she can wear without breaking. Outside of one cloak that I might end up using, but those cloaks aren't fun if there is a lot of movement in the scene.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Like I said, fur bikini... although I deleted the fur cause fuck dForce fur, it sucks. >.> Although the new shader makes it more or less useable, just didn't want to mess with it for a quick render.

EDIT: But I did anticipate the clothing issue, thanks to Sage and Sabrina to a point, which is why there is already mention of the hot/heat stones in one of the updates when talking to Maevra (and in the progress post). For "normal" bodied characters I can create something that looks relatively "normal" for colder weather. And most of them can wear some sort of cloaks more easily so it's non-issue for them what they wear underneath them. Could be naked all we know. >.>

On average, it takes about a week to get used to temperature changes (goes both ways). But some people are more adapted for cold than they are heat. I'm one of them, I can walk normally in a t-shirt when there is -30 Celsius, I don't feel cold. Although, I'm not that stupid to stay that long outside in that temperature. While I don't feel cold, it doesn't mean it wouldn't cause damage over a longer period. But a couple hundred meters as long as it isn't windy? Yeah, no problem. And yes, it does get that cold in here. Last winter -36,7 Celcius...
Ah, limitations with Daz assets and models makes sense. I've heard about various problems over the years, especially with water and hair. Irregularly sized models seem like they would have difficulties anyway.

As for acclimating, I was talking about doing so without risk of things like frostbite or serious illness over long periods of time / exposure. Of course people can adjust to how a climate feels relatively easily and quickly. That's different from extremes that make someone lose the ability to regulate their internal body temperature. Once you lose control of regulation, all kinds of illness can result. (Just look at hypothermia or heat stroke, both of which can cause hallucinations.) I did mention magic for this world, so I'm glad you're taking advantage of it. It's easier to suspend disbelief when you know abnormal forces affect what we expect as natural outcomes. I would similarly assume that inside the tent temperature is at least somewhat controlled.

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
Ah, limitations with Daz assets and models makes sense. I've heard about various problems over the years, especially with water and hair. Irregularly sized models seem like they would have difficulties anyway.
It is what it is, artists make what sells. Outside of a handful of individuals who do it because they want to. Most medieval (and fantasy) clothing is more along the lines of nobility or "fantastic" and not really practical as is... and don't get me started on high heels. And practical winter clothing for adventurers just doesn't really exist. A lot of skirts, though. You can kitbash a decent set for females assuming they have normal body type. Males have one that works straight out of the box, so to say, just lacks textures, but eh, nothing new.

Rielle is easier to cloth despite her short stature because she is more slimmer than Maevra. But that being said, while it is a pain in the ass to deal with, I wouldn't change anything about the models.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Are we supposed to be in the same fantasy world as Conan and Red Sonja?
nope.

well except both spend most of their time on warm climate and have only brief visits on cold climate.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Talothral

I guess you have fixed these on .11.

1. before that image game looped between sexscenes and mc eating her
2. simple typo

error1.png screenshot0033.png

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: cxx and SpatulaPie

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
BAD BAD, VERY BAD DEV!!! :p
To be fair, it's an automated ren'py function, and it does it for shit and giggles randomly, can do tons of changes and no backups, then change a comma and there is a backup in the folder. And then because of that comma it digs up a backup three months back and restores it.

• Haha
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: SpatulaPie and cxx

DevinHesi

Oct 29, 2021
Progress 26.04.2024

Good morning everyone!

Update 0.13.0 is uploading, and hopefully I get it upload ASAP, but that depends on my net. So how about otherwise?

Well... I'll start rendering 0.14.0 tomorrow, most likely. Maybe today depends on how things are going since I need to do a couple of things. That and you know ahead of time, but I think I'm going to need that considering some complexity in the next update.

As for writing, it's on update 18. I've been productive this week. However. I'm not happy about one choice in 0.13.0, it might as well not be there. Irritating, but creating a branch at that location would have a fairly large cascading effect. I initially thought about it, I even plotted the routes, but further I went the other branch started to make less and less sense. So I need to figure something else out for that, and leave the annoying choice in still. However, that doesn't mean you can't intentionally screw things over if you chose so. Those options are there... and I think just accidentally created a branch after all and a way to handle it. Damn it.

Anyway, before we go into a fancy render some "new feature" things. Ren'py can be a bit of a pain at times, and some of you have had variables deleted for no good reason (most of those x not defined errors that don't have _name suffix, for those ren'py is just being a... pain). Now there is a "failsafe" that prevents from errors happening for most parts. But that failsafe has a problematic side effect, it can only restore a default value which can cause problems. And to that, there is no easy solution. Well, there probably is, but I'm not that good of a coder... So as an alternative, a "debug" window.

Located in Preferences => Extras tab and right below the scene speed slider.

1714139832977.png

And you get this window:

1714139845447.png

As you can see in this window, you can edit all the variables that are used in the game. Reveal those pesky hidden images you might have missed, set relationship things and alter the choices you've made. And force (hopefully) some settings to work like they should. I don't recommend editing any of them as is, and mostly the variables section will be the most use as there are the things that matter. I've tried to be as descriptive as possible with them, and there is the "canon" choice told. So if something seems off, you can check them. Now, it is intentional that opening this window is convoluted. It's to ensure you don't edit things accidentally. And naturally the warning goes: You can mess things, especially on the relationship tab. So don't go maxing things and setting things true/false in there just for the sake of it... And outside of the hidden images, you need to in the game for things to work.

And now for the render.

DMR26042024.png

A bit more testing. Hopefully, by Monday I can start posting actual previews again. So... yeah, the figures are "new" both I've made as there is no model for either as is. Mean the Ogre and Goblin. The Varg is a default figure, just different textures cause I don't like dforce fur. I mostly wanted to know would the clothes work. Yeah it works, but I'm not a fan of the overreliance on dForce with more new items. It's fine if you are doing one of render if the simulation takes thirty minutes to complete. But it isn't fine when you need dozens of renders with pose changes. But that being said. I am happy how the clothes look. They are converted genesis 9 clothes so they can be hit or a miss at times. As long as there are no extreme movements like with the female ogre, they should work for what I want them to work for. Granted, the clothes aren't exactly made for an ogre's body so. That and I need to do some hand waving with magic as something has to give. Either that or lots of fire...

Anyway, have a great weekend you all!

4.20 star(s) 18 Votes