RPGM [Translation Request] Succubus Rhapsodia [Dreamania]

753tj753

Mar 10, 2021
The error was indeed caused by having an H in someone's name, which normally get turned to hearts in the game. Of course, original Japanese writing wouldn't use these letters... But this seems like a straight up bug. The image for heart is just defined in this scope and that code would never execute in the original game, and the code doesn't work if the game reaches it. I just made it not check for H specifically and write it as normal
I'm having no issues now, thanks :D I'll playtest some more

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Succubus Hunter

Oskar1899

Mar 27, 2019
Hey really love this, been following attempts at translations since 2016. After installing I got the english up and running but I'm not sure if I got the mapconrep and tranlatecharacters done properly. After attempting to run both, a quick window appeared then vanished for each of them. To confirm, its all in english except when entering a location it stays Japanese when showing the lcations name. I also having the first lesser succubus fight have japanese text floating around when she talks towards the MC. For context I have the latest version of python when preparing for this. Did I make a mistake somewhere?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Succubus Hunter

pvtnator

Sep 6, 2022
Everything you described sounds about right. If you just double click the scripts, the command line window will auto close after running it. If you want to make sure the output is correct for them, try opening a command line or powershell window or some Python editor window like IDLE separately, then run the scripts from there. But so far only a few of the bosses have their combat dialog translated, and the location names are images so I haven't looked into editing them yet, so that is to be expected. I'm currently working on translating the rest of the bosses

Oskar1899

Mar 27, 2019
Everything you described sounds about right. If you just double click the scripts, the command line window will auto close after running it. If you want to make sure the output is correct for them, try opening a command line or powershell window or some Python editor window like IDLE separately, then run the scripts from there. But so far only a few of the bosses have their combat dialog translated, and the location names are images so I haven't looked into editing them yet, so that is to be expected. I'm currently working on translating the rest of the bosses
Looks like all is good. I did notice a few spelling errors in the actual english near the beginning but it seems most of what you said is translated appears to be so. Btw this is the most I've seen anyone translate so right now just straight kuddos man, it is so nice to FINALLY understand a majority of what they're saying. Thanks so much

pvtnator

Sep 6, 2022
If anyone has experience with Github, feel free to contribute fixes through there when you see errors. Otherwise I'll probably catch most errors over time. Although, sometimes the English might be jank due to how the game strings text together from different parts and it can be difficult to get it flowing well in English

pvtnator

Sep 6, 2022
Hmm managed to implement an "auto" translate system where it auto copies 100 lines of character dialog at a time, then auto processes it once you copy the translation from google translate. Then I apply some processing to fix the formatting. However, I would say about half of the translations this way end up having significant errors, either with subjects/objects getting mixed up or just mistranslated words. So I don't really want to use something like this. However, realistically, I don't see myself manually translating every single enemy. Bosses are manageable, at about 300 lines for a single boss to translate, but regular enemies seem to be about 600-2000 lines due to the different variations that they have, and of course there are much more of them than bosses, while also players might not even engage with their dialog. Now if we also add all the enemies from the MOD, I definitely can't do it manually on my own.

So the plan is, I manual translate all the bosses (which is almost done), finish up other loose ends best I can, then apply auto translation for regular enemies and that should be the base game. It would be relatively simple for anyone to contribute translations to character dialog, so maybe there will be others who can help polish the translations.

Once I feel like I can say there's a full translation for the base game, I'll try to adapt the translation for the MOD in a separate branch such that I can keep updating the base game translation as necessary.

Feb 24, 2021
Hmm managed to implement an "auto" translate system where it auto copies 100 lines of character dialog at a time, then auto processes it once you copy the translation from google translate. Then I apply some processing to fix the formatting. However, I would say about half of the translations this way end up having significant errors, either with subjects/objects getting mixed up or just mistranslated words. So I don't really want to use something like this. However, realistically, I don't see myself manually translating every single enemy. Bosses are manageable, at about 300 lines for a single boss to translate, but regular enemies seem to be about 600-2000 lines due to the different variations that they have, and of course there are much more of them than bosses, while also players might not even engage with their dialog. Now if we also add all the enemies from the MOD, I definitely can't do it manually on my own.

So the plan is, I manual translate all the bosses (which is almost done), finish up other loose ends best I can, then apply auto translation for regular enemies and that should be the base game. It would be relatively simple for anyone to contribute translations to character dialog, so maybe there will be others who can help polish the translations.

Once I feel like I can say there's a full translation for the base game, I'll try to adapt the translation for the MOD in a separate branch such that I can keep updating the base game translation as necessary.
This is stellar fucking work you're doing. Thank you so much!

pvtnator

Sep 6, 2022
Okay the bosses are now translated and edited by hand (not that they're perfect) and auto translation has been applied to regular enemies, and the majority is actually pretty decent. I might try and edit the most common ones that come up while playing still. But now we're at a point where I'm not sure where there might still be untranslated content.

So right now, I would appreciate playtesters who could let me know or contribute straight to Github upon seeing either untranslated content, translation errors outside of regular enemies or bugs caused by translation patch. If you're familiar with the game already, I would appreciate help with bug hunting, because it can be a slow process comparing modded and unmodded to try to figure out if something isn't quite right.

Of course, I'll gladly take feedback translations of names and things like that as well.

I'll also start thinking about how to best distribute the mod. I think I'll start putting up releases in .atc file format like the other mods are handled on Github. I think there's a problem with distributing game files directly without encryption and the .atc thing gets around that or something. And I'm not sure whether to put the translated files into the mod folder or the main folders. I guess it should work in the mod folder, and in the end, it would be incompatible with other mods as it is either way. I'll have to test things, and consider how things will work best once I merge the MOD with the translation

Oskar1899

Mar 27, 2019
Okay the bosses are now translated and edited by hand (not that they're perfect) and auto translation has been applied to regular enemies, and the majority is actually pretty decent. I might try and edit the most common ones that come up while playing still. But now we're at a point where I'm not sure where there might still be untranslated content.

So right now, I would appreciate playtesters who could let me know or contribute straight to Github upon seeing either untranslated content, translation errors outside of regular enemies or bugs caused by translation patch. If you're familiar with the game already, I would appreciate help with bug hunting, because it can be a slow process comparing modded and unmodded to try to figure out if something isn't quite right.

Of course, I'll gladly take feedback translations of names and things like that as well.

I'll also start thinking about how to best distribute the mod. I think I'll start putting up releases in .atc file format like the other mods are handled on Github. I think there's a problem with distributing game files directly without encryption and the .atc thing gets around that or something. And I'm not sure whether to put the translated files into the mod folder or the main folders. I guess it should work in the mod folder, and in the end, it would be incompatible with other mods as it is either way. I'll have to test things, and consider how things will work best once I merge the MOD with the translation
gods work my friend, gods work (I mean all you of course XD)

Edit: Just did a updated check as well as a restarted run and noticed the dialogue from the basic enemies are still untranslated. By, "auto translation has been applied to regular enemies" are we talking everything but their dialogue or did I mess up?

Last edited:

pvtnator

Sep 6, 2022
gods work my friend, gods work (I mean all you of course XD)

Edit: Just did a updated check as well as a restarted run and noticed the dialogue from the basic enemies are still untranslated. By, "auto translation has been applied to regular enemies" are we talking everything but their dialogue or did I mess up?
Something's wrong then. Make sure the translateCharacters script is running correctly. For example, open a PowerShell or CMD window, type "python " then drag and drop the script and run it so you see the output fully

Oskar1899

Mar 27, 2019
Something's wrong then. Make sure the translateCharacters script is running correctly. For example, open a PowerShell or CMD window, type "python " then drag and drop the script and run it so you see the output fully
"SyntaxError: (unicode error) 'unicodeescape' codec can't decode bytes in position 2-3: truncated \UXXXXXXXX escape
>>>" Is what I appear to be getting. this is on a fresh download for both the translation, game, etc.

Reactions: EasternRoman

EasternRoman

May 2, 2021
I also have dialogue from basic enemies remain untranslated.
Tried with both an older save and a new save file.

Edit: just tried to check and I'm getting the exact same error message as Oskar1899.

pvtnator

Sep 6, 2022
"SyntaxError: (unicode error) 'unicodeescape' codec can't decode bytes in position 2-3: truncated \UXXXXXXXX escape
>>>" Is what I appear to be getting. this is on a fresh download for both the translation, game, etc.
I worked a bit on making the patching operations more robust, try it again. Otherwise, is there any more details about the error, like on which line does it occur?

EasternRoman

May 2, 2021
>>> "C:\Users\alfie\Downloads\SRPH\Succubus Rhapsodia_patch\translateCharacters.py"
File "<stdin>", line 1
"C:\Users\alfie\Downloads\SRPH\Succubus Rhapsodia_patch\translateCharacters.py"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
SyntaxError: (unicode error) 'unicodeescape' codec can't decode bytes in position 2-3: truncated \UXXXXXXXX escape
>>>

This is the exact error message I've received. As in, that's literally all it says.

pvtnator

Sep 6, 2022
To run the script, you should type python3 "path\to\file", now you're first opening python and then just giving it a string, but you need to open python with the script name as an argument
But also, I added a .bat file to the repository now that will run those commands for you, so you can just double click that, so hopefully that works for you guys

Jul 28, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
pvtnator
Hey, haven't gotten into this yet, so it might not be my place to say, but this should be an easy fix.
Python's interpreting the backslashes as escape sequences, so it's goofing up the path. That's cause \u in \users is a prefix.
You got 3 options, though I'd only recommend one of 2.
Changing the backslashes into forward slashes, which is the more tedious of the 2 but will work for both linux and mac as well.
Putting 'r' in front of the path string, which will make python read the path 'raw', meaning any backslashes won't be goofing up your code.
(More specifically, in the form of file_path = r"C:\Users\Whatever.txt")
And the worst would be replacing the backslashes with double backslashes, which would be just as tedious as the first option, only it wouldn't work with linux and mac.

Hope that helps, had this issue before.

Jul 28, 2017
To run the script, you should type python3 "path\to\file", now you're first opening python and then just giving it a string, but you need to open python with the script name as an argument
But also, I added a .bat file to the repository now that will run those commands for you, so you can just double click that, so hopefully that works for you guys
By the by, for a quick fix in your case, move your folder outside of a directory with \Users. (Or any folder that starts with u for that matter)

EasternRoman

May 2, 2021
When I try to run the .bat file, it says I don;t hav python installed. except I'm pretty sure I have python installed.

pvtnator

Sep 6, 2022
pvtnator
Hey, haven't gotten into this yet, so it might not be my place to say, but this should be an easy fix.
Python's interpreting the backslashes as escape sequences, so it's goofing up the path. That's cause \u in \users is a prefix.
You got 3 options, though I'd only recommend one of 2.
Changing the backslashes into forward slashes, which is the more tedious of the 2 but will work for both linux and mac as well.
Putting 'r' in front of the path string, which will make python read the path 'raw', meaning any backslashes won't be goofing up your code.
(More specifically, in the form of file_path = r"C:\Users\Whatever.txt")
And the worst would be replacing the backslashes with double backslashes, which would be just as tedious as the first option, only it wouldn't work with linux and mac.

Hope that helps, had this issue before.
All the path processing is done by pathlib now, and even previously I didn't have entire paths written as strings like that. At least for me, it works even if my path has \U in it like that. From what it seems to me is that they just weren't running the scripts at all, but rather passed an invalid string like that to python interpreter. The .bat file I added now also uses relative paths so I think this way we should be avoiding all these issues.

I appreciate the help in any case, though!

When I try to run the .bat file, it says I don;t hav python installed. except I'm pretty sure I have python installed.
Uh, it seems like nowadays it's more common for python installations to be referred as "python" instead of "python3" so I changed the command now, so try updating again or just edit the .bat yourself. I'm not sure why mine is still going by "python3" then, though