None Thoughts on Translators corroborating on projects / translator group to share information?

Silentce

Quiet Eldritch Horror
Modder
Uploader
Jan 2, 2018
Hello,

I hope this is the right place to ask this. If not I apologize in advance.

I have recently gotten into doing machine translation requests for games that are posted on this site and I have been wondering if anyone has ever tried to unite our translators in a sub forum on F95 itself or possibly a discord for this site where we could share information and help each other out. This community has a large number of users with varying amount of experience providing translations or even those who are interested and do it on the side (like myself). I sure there are even those who want to help but don't know how to start. It might be beneficial to everyone if we could get a number of us to unite to share information such as tools we all use or methods we employ to help us complete our translations, or even offer assistance to others with their translations. Ideally I think it would be great if we could in some capacity collaborate as a group on larger projects (like visual novels or large RPGs) to improve the overall quality and potentially produce a completed translation faster.

I admit I am relatively new to this so this is something that could already exist, or that has been tried and failed in the past. I was just throwing out the idea to see if there is any interest or if there is a logistically reason it wouldn't work I am not aware of. Just curious.

What does everyone else think?

Reactions: itasuke2

Ophanim

May 2, 2018
I'd be really stoked, to be honest. I've amateurishly translated a few japanese games for personal use, but never posted those patches online because I feel like they suck. It'd be nice to have somewhere to go to ask questions and such, but this forum seems mostly to be a loose group of people all doing their own projects individually. And nobody's actually talking about translation in general, just specific games, which is fine if you know exactly what you want to do, but it doesn't exactly get people into the field. I mean, with the right tools, most dlsite games (mostly cheap stuff with prebaked engine) aren't a complete pain in the ass to translate, just... long and a bit tedious depending on game length. Somewhere to discuss things, without completely losing focus, would be kinda nice, and help new people get into the hobby.