VN Ren'Py The Violets [v1.0] [mustache&monsters]

Zemax

☠︎︎ The real world is where the monsters are ☠︎︎
Modder
Uploader
Aug 19, 2022
HnfqcO.png

Overview:
You, the protagonist, move into the secluded town of Elmridge Pines, seeking a fresh start far from civilization . As you settle in, you meet people, find love, and uncover dark secrets about the mansion and the town. Strange supernatural events start happening, putting everyone at risk. Now, you must figure out how to protect your loved ones before it's too late.​

Thread Updated: 2024-04-11
Release Date: 2024-04-09
Developer: mustache&monsters -
Censored: No
Version: 1.0
Language: English
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Changelog:

Developer Notes:

DOWNLOAD
Win/Linux: - - - -
Mac: - - - -

ss-1.gif ss-2.png ss-3.png ss-4.png ss-5.png ss-6.png ss-7.png

Fazed

Nov 21, 2018
I'm always on the look out for well done 2d art and animation.

LGM

Nov 22, 2018
Interesting premise, lots of mystery. I'm intrigued. Another thing I find really intriguing is the dev notes, which say you get to "Shape your own romantic destiny with decision-making at every turn." Now that is what I'm looking for.
Anyway, here's all the problems I found with the game:

The included font for the menu seems to be missing numbers and special characters, resulting in all the numbers in the save/load menu to be replaced by boxes. This applies to both the page numbers and the date and time below each save. The quick menu under the textbox also shows this problem with the quick-load and quick-save buttons.

After Mr. White and Angie leave, Eva is described as the only person left in the room, even though the bar still sounds quite noisy.

Speaking of Eva. The MC's date with her is an absolute disaster. First off, your choice is not whether to have the date or not; it's whether you want to see it. You can go to the date, or you can skip it and have no idea what actually happened when MC and Eva talk about it later.
But that's not all. The date progresses as follows: A bit of conversation, then you either leave (which is also labeled 'skip', so I don't know if you actually leave, or if it's just another skip option) or you play "truth or strip" with her. During that game, you get the choice of answering the truth (which is predetermined, so no player opinion allowed) or stripping. Finally, in the last part of the game, where you get to ask your own questions, you can again just skip to the last one. Well, not really, because after that you still have one more. But you get to either ask that one (without knowing which one it is) or "wimp out" and leave. As the date then crosses into sexual territory, you get two more chances to "wimp out".
Here's the thing. With so many different points at which the MC could leave, the follow-up conversation the next day goes the exact same way no matter how the date went, including scheduling a proper date at the Carnival. So in a game that boasts you can "Shape your own romantic destiny with decision-making at every turn", you get seem to get railroaded into a relationship. But hey, at least you don't have to see the first date...

On the way to the Carnival with Angie, MC mentions wanting to return to the cave. Angie just says he shouldn't because it's too dangerous. But as far as I remember, she doesn't even know about the cave, or at least what's in it.

There are a few lines starting with a space, which looks a little weird. It's not that noticeable, so I suppose it doesn't have to be fixed, but I would fix it.

I only noticed this later, but it seems the narration can't quite decide if it should be in present or past tense. The error list below reflects no such issues.

There are a number of lines ending without punctuation. Some of which is fine, since the sentence continues in the next line (which I don't love, but fine). But I've found a ton of lines that are just plain missing a period.

The word 'you' behaved quite weirdly in this script. 'You' or the variations 'your' and 'yourself' are randomly capitalized (often after a comma, but not always), plus a number of sentences starting with 'you' that leave it in lowercase.

Commas should always have a space after them.

Finally, the script commonly applies 3rd-person conjugations where they shouldn't be (e.g. "you makes"). I started off listing them below, but got sick of it after a while.

And here is my list of more specific mistakes. They're only based on my first playthrough, and therefore incomplete. I also stopped paying close attention toward the end, so I probably missed a bunch of stuff on day 3.
Anyway, as I said, I'm intrigued. I hope the problems get fixed, and I hope to see more in the future.