VN Ren'Py The Urge Within [Dev Thread]

Yone31

Sep 4, 2021
The Urge Within

Introduction:

Hey all! This is a development thread for "The Urge Within", the adult visual novel project I am currently working on. Now, I don't want to feed droplets of updates, so I'll try to only update this thread when I have something huge to show. I will, however, keep an eye out and make sure to respond to any questions I can.

I am a single developer who is also going through the pain of university. The Urge Within is entirely a passion project. Please be patient with me. :(

Game Overview:

The story follows you, a young man returning home after four years away for college. Something unkown and unspeakable stirs beneath your skin, urging you towards unforgivable acts. Amidst the chaos and confusion, will you fight this evil? Or will you let it consume you and everyone around you?

The full game is expected to feature;
  • A pseudo-open world. You'll be able to explore the town, interacting with characters in a fashion similar to a dating sim. You will also be able to work to earn money and do various activities to better yourself.
  • Two "main" routes; a light and dark one. To fight or indulge your urges, what will you choose?
  • Four main heroines, each with their own stories and unique sex scenes.

Characters (designs are susceptible to change):

Dagenhart Melodie:

cous_idle.png

"The only child of the Dagenhart marriage. Her parents took you in after the accident. Melodie is a kind and caring girl, who struggles with her own shyness. She seems to look up to you, almost like a little sister."

Cohen Mia:

teach_idle.png

"A teacher at the local highschool. It seems she is jaded by the current landscape of the educational system. She is tired and looking for something to break the routine. Infamous for being somewhat weird."

Fujiwara Mitsuha:

child_idle.png

"A refugee from the Shouko Isles, came to Westside escaping the war. She's been your best friend since you were a child. Apparently, she's been missing you since you left for the capital. Despite the new look, she is still a huge tomboy."

Your Maid:

maid_idle.png

"You don't know a lot about her. Her left eye is strange and she seems obsessed with violence. Apparently, no one else can see her. Maybe she is somehow related to the strange urges you feel?"

You:

mc.png

"Once a bright college student, a dark urge has taken hold of your very soul. What will you do to free yourself from it? Do you even want to?"

RoadMap:

As of right now, I want to focus on putting a demo out. This demo will contain:
  • The prologue of the game.
  • Some sex scenes.​
  • A plethora of bugs for me to fix later.​
  • Plenty of placeholder art.​
After the demo is properly playtested, I will post it here and figure out a full roadmap.

FAQ:

Q: "How did you make the character models?"

A: Using a japanese program called "Honey Select 2" and the powerful Character Studio Neo 2.

Q: "Why Honey Select 2?"

A: I SUCK at art. I couldn't find any artist who wanted to effectively do slave labor for me, so I figured I'd use HS2. It is a bit restrictive, but it ain't the worst.

Q: "Do you have any experience?"

A: Yes. I worked in a bunch of RenPy projects before. None saw the light of day, but the experience is there. That aside, I am a coomsumer of these type of games. The Urge Within is a game by a degenerate for other degenerates.

Last edited:

Yone31

Sep 4, 2021
MINOR DEV UPDATE:

Hey! I'm not dead. I've been working on the game. For now, I'm mostly focusing on key systems and on coding the general frame that I will be using later on. This is to ensure that when I do get working on the main story, things will move forward much better.

Speaking of systems, things are working well and I believe the overall experience will be acceptable. Check this out;

Captura de pantalla 2024-04-17 021525.png

As I promised, the game will be semi-open world! So, plenty of stuff to explore and do. I've also been working on the day/night system, inventory, status screen, etc.

hh.png

I'm also considering adding a few "side" characters, with shorter, less important stories (and less sex scenes... or maybe not) than the main characters. This is to add some more freedom and stuff to do while grinding for stats and money (not that I intend for it to be a grind, mind you. Hopefully the game will be relatively grind-free, depending on how well test playthroughs go).

Progress is steady and hopefully that demo I mentioned earlier will be available for you all soon enough. For now though, this is it. Stay tuned for more if the project interests you even in the slightest.

Yone31

Sep 4, 2021
MINOR DEV UPDATE:

Hey all! I've just finished the map system and will soon start working on a different system.

But before that, I decided to take a step back and get started on those side characters I mentioned earlier. Let's go over what I got so far:

HS2_2024-04-18-03-25-11-369.png

First off, Mary. This obnoxiously happy girl will be selling you all sort of goodies in her store. She's definitely not hiding anything at all.

HS2_2024-04-18-03-28-24-300.png

Marca, a frustrated milf with a very big c...ompetitive spirit! Tutoring her daughter will make you closer to her. Hopefully, this will inspire you to raise your stats...

HS2_2024-04-18-03-35-51-083.png

Sarah, the only barista at the local Riverside Cafe. She's a bit of a weirdo, but the cafe is hiring. A way to be more charming AND earn money? What a bargain!

Ahem. Besides these three ladies, I intend to eventually add a 4th side character. She's supposed to be a fitness fanatic to inspire you to grind for that Body stat. I will most likely reveal her in the next update (which, hopefully, will have more substance!)

That's it from me for now. I'll be seeing you all in the future.

Reactions: GreenOwl

Yone31

Sep 4, 2021
MINOR DEV UPDATE:

Hello all! I'm back with another small update.

Remember that fitness girl I mentioned in my last update?

zenaida.png

Meet Zenaida! A Russian Laydorjan athlete. Hopefully, she'll make you break a sweat. She is the 4th and final side character to be featured in the game.

On the coding aspect; I went back and realized I forgot a key feature of the game; the journal.
The journal is a way for the player to keep track of each character's storyline. It will also provide guidance to ensure you always know how to progress. I will make sure this feature is fully functional before I can move on to building the game's demo.

That's it from me for now.

Yone31

Sep 4, 2021
MINOR DEV UPDATE:

Hello all, it is I, back with some small updates.

For starters, I've finally started working on the main story. So far, it is only the prologue, but I've gotten some of the renders started already.
Check out a rough render of this heartfelt reunion:

cg MelodieHugCry.png

There's obviously room for improvement and I still need to get some stuff worked out, but progress has been steady.

Besides, we're all only here for the sex scenes

Anyways, I'll be seeing you all in the next update to this thread.​