VN Ren'Py Abandoned The Search [Ep. 2] [Zee95]

Zee95

Game Developer
Sep 17, 2017
@Zee95 , i think i am stuck at the beginning of Episode 2 because i cant seem to go to the bathroom to shower. Unless i missed something.
You guys are not stuck. This is only a demo version of the 2nd episode. I changed the mechanic of the game, and wanted to see the members' opinion on these changes. Also there is a poll on my page. A full release of the second episode will be in 2 weeks.

Reactions: Vibescu

Jim Webb

Jun 23, 2017
Overview:
The main character is a young guy

Wow, what an introduction move aside George R R Martin there's an new sheriff in town!

Reactions: darlic

Somnay

Jan 29, 2018

View attachment 92124
Overview:

The main character is a young guy​

Updated: April 29 2018
Developer/Publisher:
Censorship: No
Version: Episode 2
Language: English
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Change-Log:

Download:
WIN: - - -

MAC: - - -

What is this!how are you supposed to go and wash yourself when you can't even leave the room!Clicking on the doorway only gives you message "in release version",what's that all about?There's not a lot you can do in a single room,all done in a few seconds!

Telgar

Donor
Oct 20, 2017
What is this!how are you supposed to go and wash yourself when you can't even leave the room!Clicking on the doorway only gives you message "in release version",what's that all about?There's not a lot you can do in a single room,all done in a few seconds!
It is a proof of concept for the new game mechanic, not the game, thus the term DEMO.

Reactions: Zee95
Aug 16, 2017
soooo...the dev has decided to postpone 'the way' which is gathering popularity and momentum, to do this instead?
and I'm not seeing too many positive feedbacks in this thread.....and after 'playing' this I can see why.

a short story which I gather is the not-included chapter 1, leads to a start of doing nothing....hardly a good trade-off.
cant find any positives in this move and didn't see anything worth latching on to with this game either. :disappointed:

CobraPL

NTR PALADIN
Donor
Sep 3, 2016
@Zee95
upload_2018-4-29_20-9-36.png
So you can make your game release almost 1/5 smaller in <30mins w/o quality loss. Are there psd files used in the game ?

I optimized gui, images, music.
More info there:

kirkuloid

Sep 13, 2017
@Zee95 just tried out the 2nd episode tech demo. It works..? lol just be careful though, it's easy to get this type of thing annoyingly unplayable. For instance, when you're facing the door, click the left arrow, then the only arrow in that scene (facing tv) is another left arrow...which spins you around to facing the door again. one MIGHT think that now clicking the right arrow would face you right back at the tv, but in reality you have it facing samir. Something like this would be cool in a place where you want something that's hard to see, but you need to pick your places.

I also find unmarked arrows pretty annoying, if they said "tv" and "couch" under the arrows for instance, that would make it more streamlined IMHO. Or another option is clickable windows along the bottom of the screen to have fast transport, or maybe a map you can open up for easier travel. Or mix and match so people have a choice in travel.

Also a good idea to implement like a daily planner and/or diary so people can keep track of where they've been and what they need to do. Also, of course, inventory system :-D I'm not sure if you were already in the works with these things, but I figured I'll give you some of my opinions on it :)

btw, you kinda inspired me to get back into writing! I took that close call hospital visit twist route last on The Way, and
made me finally get off my laurels and get back into it. And now talking about game dev in general, I'm super pumped
to have people yell at me for updates and walkthroughs on this site as well, YEAH!! lol. Good luck man :-D

Zee95

Game Developer
Sep 17, 2017
Thanks buddy for your suggestions. I will try to implement some interesting ideas.

Reactions: kirkuloid

sasquach

Dec 28, 2017
aggg no content wtf is with no content come on guys why even start this up with no content no point ok art is good no story so too speak of not a good start try adding content then will see

Shoxlover

Oct 16, 2017
...commands a spaceship.
...is a warlord in a nuclear wasteland.
I for one wouldn't mind seeing a combination of these two. At least it would be different from the "You're a dude who wants to get with his m̶o̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r landlord and roommate" scenario.

Reactions: Ataios and Zee95

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
@Zee95 since you wanted some opinion...

Sorry, I don't want to be harsh, but I never seen a code this horrible. It really looks like you don't even know that Ren'py come with a documentation (not outdated since years like the wiki you used), two tutorials and a demo.

This meaningless use of a screen :
Code:
    screen wakeup1:
        vbox xalign 0.8 yalign 0.7:
            textbutton "{size=+20}{font=28_Days.ttf}Wake up" action Jump("morn")
    call screen wakeup1
1) You call the screen you never intend to return from, so just show it.
2) You jump out of the screen, so all what is following will never be played.
3) Anyway what you wanted to do is use a (the worse part is that you already know how to use them).

While in the same time you don't use a screen when you should have had :
Code:
    $ result =renpy.imagemap("im-1i.jpg","im-h1.jpg",[(1, 1, 100, 85, "sol"),(110, 260, 258, 403, "left"),(215, 200, 315, 270, "tourch"),(592,90,653,205, "magn1"),(400, 545, 735, 800, "mattr"),(830,85,975,230, "nextr"),(1280,295,1340,405, "magn2"),(1160,480,1315,625, "right"),(1030,235,1095,300, "shelf")])
Code:
screen houseView1:
    imagemap:
        idle "im-1i.jpg"
        hover "im-h1.jpg"
        hotspot (1, 1, 100, 85) action Return( "sol" )
        hotspot (110, 260, 258, 403) action Return( "left")
        hotspot (215, 200, 315, 270) action Return( "tourch")
        hotspot (592,90,653,205) action Return( "magn1")
        hotspot (400, 545, 735, 800) action Return( "mattr")
        hotspot (830,85,975,230) action Return( "nextr")
        hotspot (1280,295,1340,405) action Return( "magn2")
        hotspot (1160,480,1315,625) action Return( "right")
        hotspot (1030,235,1095,300) action Return( "shelf")
Code:
    call screen houseView1
    if _return == "sol":
        [...]
    elif _return == "left":
[...]
Note: No need to even return for "sol" by example, just to the actual and the new one.

Oh, and is there even a way to reach the "morn1" label ? I'm not really sure about this. Conclusion, a lot of works to do and probably most of it will be, "learning the basis of Ren'py".

Zee95

Game Developer
Sep 17, 2017
@Zee95 since you wanted some opinion...

Sorry, I don't want to be harsh, but I never seen a code this horrible. It really looks like you don't even know that Ren'py come with a documentation (not outdated since years like the wiki you used), two tutorials and a demo.

This meaningless use of a screen :
Code:
    screen wakeup1:
        vbox xalign 0.8 yalign 0.7:
            textbutton "{size=+20}{font=28_Days.ttf}Wake up" action Jump("morn")
    call screen wakeup1
1) You call the screen you never intend to return from, so just show it.
2) You jump out of the screen, so all what is following will never be played.
3) Anyway what you wanted to do is use a (the worse part is that you already know how to use them).

While in the same time you don't use a screen when you should have had :
Code:
    $ result =renpy.imagemap("im-1i.jpg","im-h1.jpg",[(1, 1, 100, 85, "sol"),(110, 260, 258, 403, "left"),(215, 200, 315, 270, "tourch"),(592,90,653,205, "magn1"),(400, 545, 735, 800, "mattr"),(830,85,975,230, "nextr"),(1280,295,1340,405, "magn2"),(1160,480,1315,625, "right"),(1030,235,1095,300, "shelf")])
Code:
screen houseView1:
    imagemap:
        idle "im-1i.jpg"
        hover "im-h1.jpg"
        hotspot (1, 1, 100, 85) action Return( "sol" )
        hotspot (110, 260, 258, 403) action Return( "left")
        hotspot (215, 200, 315, 270) action Return( "tourch")
        hotspot (592,90,653,205) action Return( "magn1")
        hotspot (400, 545, 735, 800) action Return( "mattr")
        hotspot (830,85,975,230) action Return( "nextr")
        hotspot (1280,295,1340,405) action Return( "magn2")
        hotspot (1160,480,1315,625) action Return( "right")
        hotspot (1030,235,1095,300) action Return( "shelf")
Code:
    call screen houseView1
    if _return == "sol":
        [...]
    elif _return == "left":
[...]
Note: No need to even return for "sol" by example, just to the actual and the new one.

Oh, and is there even a way to reach the "morn1" label ? I'm not really sure about this. Conclusion, a lot of works to do and probably most of it will be, "learning the basis of Ren'py".
Thnx for your lesson!
I'm not really good in renpy. I only recently started working with it. I'm reading and learning a lot about this program.

I know that the way I write the script is probably wrong, maybe confusing, it can be complicated, maybe something else, but the main goal I pursue is that everything would work in the game and that there would be no errors.
I'm learning, and further the code of my games will be improved.
i'm greatefull for you!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
[Foreword: I know that "I don't want to be harsh" is just words, but I mean it. I don't pass my time explaining to someone that his [whatever] is wrong, especially at 5 AM, just for the pleasure. When I do it, it's because I feel that it worth it.]

[...] but the main goal I pursue is that everything would work in the game and that there would be no errors.
Which will never happen if the way you write your code is "wrong, maybe confusing" and if "it can [seem] complicated, maybe something else".
Unless you've years of experiences behind you and know exactly why it should be wrote that way (I mean here that you can explain it with few words), stay as simple as possible ; in fact even with years of experience, don't over complicate it. And with Ren'py it mean use and abuse of the Ren'py script language and Ren'py screen language.
Take your use of renpy.imagemap as example. Over the time, many things have been added to the statement of the screen language. Using the function, you just know how to return a value ; but you can do more if you twist your mind enough. Using the statement you can directly, easily and in a self explanatory way, make a label appear when the mouse is over the "button", manipulate values directly, make the "button" conditional, define an action for left click and one for right click, and so many other things, including styling everything.
It mean that, in the end, the code outside of the screen used for your "map" will be limited to the strict minimal and so lead to very few possibility of errors. But it also mean that your "map" itself will have less possibility of bugs. This because Ren'py will check the syntax at start, and so warn you in case of error, which isn't the case with renpy.imagemap. And also because each line explain itself, which mean that you'll see the error by yourself.
Here, you're working on one of the main mechanisms of your game. The code you'll use here will be replicated for every maps in your game. Make it bugs proof since the start, unless you want to pass half your time correcting errors instead of adding content on your game.