RPGM The new RPG Maker MZ & Adult Game Assets

kuraiken

Dec 5, 2017
So the new RPG Maker MZ has been announced for a while now, and the assets size-wise will remain directly compatible to the MV sizes.

F95 is full of assets for 3D games, but there's very little for RPGM authors.

One thing I've been thinking about for a while now is if there's RMV/RMZ authors out there who're interested in creating & sharing assets to create a base of assets people can use for adult RPG games for both the old RMV as well as the new RMZ.

A while ago I developed a SFW resource base to help the "Dark Fantasy" style (a DLC with a taller body that's less chibi) have its own generator to easily create character that allow for more mature games with sprites & edits by WaywardMartian.

It's using a more sophisticated generator as framework that was developed by Schlangan.

For my own current game project, I've also got adult bodies (made by Ayzu) based on the SFW template.
Unbenannt.png
The bodies come in two different styles:
On the left side: The original Dark Fantasy body with a "chubby" head
On the right side: A modified head-type I've made that's more slim and realistic - you can always choose between either

Now that the new RMZ is being released, Schlangan's taken up his generator again and is making dramatic improvements to ensure it's even easier to use and allows more sophisticated things.

I think it'd be interesting if the new RMZ release is used to kick-start an asset base for RPG Maker games (character sprites, poses, battlers, objects, plugins, artwork, etc.)
But I wonder if there are even enough RPG maker here who'd be interested on working on that?

Thoughts?

Jinnai

Noodlz.
Donor
Jun 26, 2018
Very much so interested, since the base assets MV and MZ come with aren't exactly a fit all size. Personally I'm not a fan of the chibi look, especially not in an NSFW game.

That being said, I do have some base nude CharSets templates, that I could add into the mix. I don't know how these generators works, since I have never used them - but if it's possible, I wouldn't mind having those added to the generator.

They look a bit different than the usual "tall MV" sprites, since I have made some changes to the head specifically. Meaning, eyes and mouth probably won't fit on anything but these templates. When I'm back home I'll upload the files, so that you can get a better grasp of what I mean.

Reactions: kuraiken

kuraiken

Dec 5, 2017
Very much so interested, since the base assets MV and MZ come with aren't exactly a fit all size. Personally I'm not a fan of the chibi look, especially not in an NSFW game.

That being said, I do have some base nude CharSets templates, that I could add into the mix. I don't know how these generators works, since I have never used them - but if it's possible, I wouldn't mind having those added to the generator.
Sounds good, though we'd have to check the dimensions and compare the build. There's certain compatibilities that would need to be matched up so that the parts are compatible with each other.

You can check out the generator link I've posted, though the generator there isn't the one we'll use. Schlangan's currently developing a vastly improved and much easier to use one.

They look a bit different than the usual "tall MV" sprites, since I have made some changes to the head specifically. Meaning, eyes and mouth probably won't fit on anything but these templates. When I'm back home I'll upload the files, so that you can get a better grasp of what I mean.
It's possible they could be made to fix, but it depends on what the sprites look like.
The ones in the generator use the Dark Fantasy size since that's large enough to show more detail but small enough that you can use default tilesets and FSM tilesets, instead of having to drawn your own tilesets to fit the characters.

char.png

Ultimately, the generator itself would depend largely on how many people I can find who're willing to help get the base assets done (sideview chars are mostly done, but facesets are lacking some art assets and especially the sideview battler sprites are lagging far behind.)

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
Now that this Is coming out I was thinking to maybe get into plugin development, but with a background of C# I was wondering if anyone had some recomendations for how to use a more object oriented workflow.

Also can anyone recommend some good open source projects to look at and learn?

kuraiken

Dec 5, 2017
Now that this Is coming out I was thinking to maybe get into plugin development, but with a background of C# I was wondering if anyone had some recomendations for how to use a more object oriented workflow.
Not sure what you mean exactly. RMZ is written in javascript and uses the ES6 standard.
I don't know how much of C# translates to JS, but if you haven't yet learned JS, that'd be the start.

In addition, RMZ will draw on the Pixi5 library (though many of methods of Pixi5 will be repackeged in the engine via RMZ's own functions), so while you don't have to learn what Pixi5 can do because you can just use the RMZ's engine library, it does help to know what other stuff is accessible under the hood if you want to do any fancy graphics plugins.

But the primary thing you'll have to learn, even if you already know JS, is the RMZ engine library and its editor-specific comment code.

For the RMZ engine, there's not really much that can be said about it yet, because we haven't seen it yet, but it will probably be similar in some fashion to the current RMV library you can find in a RMV projects \js folder.
RMZ is a complete rewrite, though, so even the way that constant database objects are designed & handled might change.
( )

RMZ & RMV use editor-specific commentary that the RMV/RMZ toolset regexes from commented code in your plugin to create the plugin manager interface for your plugin. Those aren't javascript but unique commands left in commented out code.
( )

Ultimately, one thing to keep in mind, is that in RMV/RMZ we like to use functions. A lot.
That's because if you build every important step of the way into its own function, other plugin writers who want to extend or change parts of your code via extensions can do so by aliasing or extending the function.
That makes it easier to hook into other writer's code, or to allow others to hook into yours.

Also can anyone recommend some good open source projects to look at and learn?
Your best source is probably the .
Aside from the javascript sections that help learn JS & JS for RMV/RMZ, you can find many plugins there.
The best ones to get started are small ones, that don't change too much.
Check to see if they comment their actions, (I think yanfly does) and that'll help you work your way through.
A good starting point is taking a simple plugin & modifying it yourself, then building your own basic plugin and progressing from there.

You'll eventually have to do what many of us did (RMV had basically almost no documentation and we do not yet know if RMZ will have its engine properly documented) and go through the RMV/RMZ engine file by file, from main.js to rpg_windows.js and learn how the toolset interacts with the engine, and the engine itself works.

Keep in mind that RMV/RMZ is web-based, which means it has a console you can use to play around with directly inside the game when playtesting. (Open it via F9)

If you need to brush up your JS, check out:
or

You'll find all the JS basic functions in and you can find .
On you can make a free account and use their playground to write & console.log javascript, if you need to test your JS code, and one of the best free tools to write plugins in is probably which allows you to import your library folder to cross-reference functions across your entire RMV/RMZ library.

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
Well im learning javascript from the beggining, but I dont particularly like its scripting aproach, I have heard of supersets of js like typescript that use a more traditional object oriented aproach, but the little info I found on the rpg maker forums is that the comunnity doesn't seem to like typescript so im a bit confused on how to proceed.

And yeah I was looking into pixi.js as part of my learning journey, as one of my goals is to bring dragonbones support for sexier sex scenes ;). And there are a few pixi dragonbones libraries that are open source.

On that note. Do you have any Idea what events or plugins are usually used for sex scenes on MV?? I really have no knowledge whatsoever on rpg maker apart from what I learned in the past 24 hours and I hope to learn enough in the next few weeks before MZ launches to transfer my C# knowledge onto it.

kuraiken

Dec 5, 2017
Well im learning javascript from the beggining, but I dont particularly like its scripting aproach, I have heard of supersets of js like typescript that use a more traditional object oriented aproach, but the little info I found on the rpg maker forums is that the comunnity doesn't seem to like typescript so im a bit confused on how to proceed.
There are a couple like that, and some people in the forums do use them, but the majority stay at simple JS.
What you do is ultimately up to you since most endusers won't actually use or learn from your code and it's up to you to register plugin commands & create functionality that's intuitive to use.

So nothing stops you from resorting to typescript.

JS itself is a lot more object-focused now, though I can't say how much in comparison to C#. The ES6 standard introduced classes, which allows you an easier way to create objects, even though you're still using the prototype system under the hood (the classes just being a system laid over it to allow easier creation of object.prototypes).

And yeah I was looking into pixi.js as part of my learning journey, as one of my goals is to bring dragonbones support for sexier sex scenes ;). And there are a few pixi dragonbones libraries that are open source.
There are actually already a couple dragonbones plugins: (paid)

But something specifically designed for sex scenes with intuitive functions might be pretty helpful.

On that note. Do you have any Idea what events or plugins are usually used for sex scenes on MV?? I really have no knowledge whatsoever on rpg maker apart from what I learned in the past 24 hours and I hope to learn enough in the next few weeks before MZ launches to transfer my C# knowledge onto it.
There's no standard, agreed on or otherwise.

Most games don't use plugins for sex scenes at all. A lot just use pictures and accompany them with text (no animation) or use primitive cycle events in RMV where they basically cycle through a picture every couple of seconds to animate it.
It's often very clumsy and very clunky.
Some games don't even have pictures, they use only animations of character sprites on the map. (The NTRPG games are known for that)

If you have zero RPGM knowledge, it might be a good idea to check out the basic editor functionality. (There's a "free" version of RMV flying around on these boards) Otherwise it might be hard to figure out what functions users need, and how they interact with plugins.

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
There are actually already a couple dragonbones plugins: (paid)

But something specifically designed for sex scenes with intuitive functions might be pretty helpful.
Yup but I was thinking more of MZ.

There's no standard, agreed on or otherwise.

Most games don't use plugins for sex scenes at all. A lot just use pictures and accompany them with text (no animation) or use primitive cycle events in RMV where they basically cycle through a picture every couple of seconds to animate it.
It's often very clumsy and very clunky.
Some games don't even have pictures, they use only animations of character sprites on the map. (The NTRPG games are known for that)

If you have zero RPGM knowledge, it might be a good idea to check out the basic editor functionality. (There's a "free" version of RMV flying around on these boards) Otherwise it might be hard to figure out what functions users need, and how they interact with plugins.
I was lookin on tutorials and whatnot, but havent seen anything similar to what is used for sex scenes. Here's my little uneducated guess based on what I've seen:

They use a dark screen, then show picture, and said picture uses the whole screen?? I'm guessing the picture has to be the same resolution as the screen to work? can you please confirm or clarify this??
Also zombies retreat seems to be using this:
and this:

kuraiken

Dec 5, 2017
Yup but I was thinking more of MZ.
They're all basically guaranteed to be ported by the original author.
Porting the plugins isn't very difficult since the basic functionality can remain the same, just the points where it hooks into the game need to be changed.

I was lookin on tutorials and whatnot, but havent seen anything similar to what is used for sex scenes. Here's my little uneducated guess based on what I've seen:

They use a dark screen, then show picture, and said picture uses the whole screen?? I'm guessing the picture has to be the same resolution as the screen to work? can you please confirm or clarify this??
Also zombies retreat seems to be using this:
and this:
They can use a dark screen if the picture doesn't cover the whole screen, use only a picture and leave the map visible behind if they want it as background reference (because characters there are also moving/animated), or use a picture in the resolution of the game which would cover everything.
There's a lot of ways to go about it.

I haven't looked into what scripts Zombie Retreat uses, but I the animated pictures plugin is just an easy way to do something you can already do in MV.
It's just a loop cycle.
loop.png
This cycle runs through 6 different pictures for a total runtime of 30 frames = 0.5 seconds.
The picture slot is the same, the picture itself would be a different picture.
The cycle loops 4 times, then breaks and the animation ends.

I've made it short so it can fit on screen.
What you'd usually do is you loop from the first Animation frame 1 to the last Animation frame 6 and then you'd add another 6 frames for Animation frame 5 back to animation frame 2.
That way, when the cycle restarts, you see picture 1 again, creating a continuous animation.
(I've only done the first half here for space reasons, otherwise it would extend too far down and you couldn't see the entire loop.)

You usually use a 5 second wait time, because it gives you 12 pictures a second which is good enough to be kinda animated without forcing you to draw a large number of pictures.
But you can pick any speed, depending on how much work you want to put into each animation. In theory you can do a 30 pictures a second (every 2 frames) animation, but that's a lot of work.

But if you think of how an event like that would look if you had, say, a 3 second loop (~18 picture calls to the end, and 16 back to the beginning of the loop), then you can imagine handling long ass events like that isn't fun and an animation plugin makes it easier and allows you better oversight over what's going on in your event.