Tromilka

Sep 11, 2020
There doesn't seem to be any way to save, and each time I open the HTML file it starts from the beginning again with all the chapters locked. Are we supposed to play through the whole thing in a single sitting, or what?

l1lym

Aphrodite, creator of X-Change Life™
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2019
There doesn't seem to be any way to save, and each time I open the HTML file it starts from the beginning again with all the chapters locked. Are we supposed to play through the whole thing in a single sitting, or what?
There is supposed to be a save functionality but it depends on the browser to allow local storage saving, some people using JOIPlay have had issues with saving, and possibly in incognito browsers.

Reactions: Tromilka

Tromilka

Sep 11, 2020
There is supposed to be a save functionality but it depends on the browser to allow local storage saving, some people using JOIPlay have had issues with saving, and possibly in incognito browsers.
Then would it be possible to just add a save to file option?

l1lym

Game Developer
Jan 21, 2019
Then would it be possible to just add a save to file option?
Unfortunately if your browser does not support the local storage saving, the export to file would not work either as that would just be reading from local storage. It’s one of those tricky things about html games, it’s nice that the games work on so many platforms easily but then they can perform differently on different browsers.

Tromilka

Sep 11, 2020
Unfortunately if your browser does not support the local storage saving, the export to file would not work either as that would just be reading from local storage.
Saving to file works fine in other Twine games in the same browser, so I think you're wrong about that. (I'm guessing that the local storage gets wiped when the tab is closed, so as long as it's saved to file before then, it would work fine.)

l1lym

Game Developer
Jan 21, 2019
Saving to file works fine in other Twine games in the same browser, so I think you're wrong about that. (I'm guessing that the local storage gets wiped when the tab is closed, so as long as it's saved to file before then, it would work fine.)
I’m not wrong about it, this is Harlowe not Sugarcube which does not have built in save to file functionality

Tromilka

Sep 11, 2020
Ah, so when you said "if your browser does not support the local storage saving, the export to file would not work either" you meant "there is no export to file functionality in the engine." Seems like a major missing feature to me, but I see from the Harlowe release notes that it is planned for the next version.

l1lym

Game Developer
Jan 21, 2019
I have made a JavaScript add on for Harlowe that takes that locally saved storage and exports it to file (my add on is used in X-Change Life, and Transylvania which are both Harlowe games as well), but this functionality requires a browser that can initially save data to its storage as a predicate - if the browser for some reason does not allow the game to write to storage the save exporting would not be able to read from that storage point.

I have not brought this add on into TGP yet though, as it takes a bit of work to set up, I don’t think it would solve the problem you are experiencing

4.00 star(s) 21 Votes