• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

VN Ren'Py the Family Business - A Nemesia Productions Game - Development Discussion Thread

NemesiaProductions

Dev of the Family Business
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
PatreonBannerRevised.png

the Family Business

In ''the Family Business'' you will play as Alex, a 23 years old boy. After finishing the second year of high school his father decided to send Alex to a different city so that he can get a better education abroad. After completing his high school education in two years in a different city, Alex spent two more years studying for a business degree. Getting a phone call from his mother, he had to go back to the house he left four years ago. Is he going to be able to reconnect with his family? What has changed? What is in store for them?

We are %100 sure this intro is something you have heard at least once before but before judging the book by its cover let us list the things you will encounter in our game.

• A complete sandbox environment
  • A time system that keeps working non-stop
  • Non-linear daily routines for every single character
  • Story with 3 main characters that will move up to 6 as the game develops
  • Side characters that will feel like main characters
  • Psychologically analyzed characters that will feel alive and act realistically
  • Tons of optional stuff from basic environmental interactions to story-arcs
  • A working relationship system that will actually be a dynamic system instead of eye candy
  • A deep and long story with strong foundations
We are planning to release a demo before November is over. In the demo you will see our main characters, interact with them in various ways and experience a completely different story which is created solely for the demo alone. While giving you a general idea about our game, demo won't contain any story elements from the upcoming chapters. We really hope to deliver a good experience to you guys. Hope you enjoy our game. In the meantime you can check our and support us if you desire. We will be posting regular updates both in this thread and our patreon page. Do not hesitate to write down your ideas, opinions and suggestions. We really value them. Oh, by the way make sure to check that spoiler down below to see the themes that are going to be in the full version.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

DevsFriend Tier Image.png

Last edited:

NemesiaProductions

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
so, this will be something like a milfy city + midnight paradise hybrid, I think this is a great combination (y)
I guess saying that those two are our favorite games wouldn't be wrong but we are planning something a bit more different. Our game will be more of a sandbox experience as in do whatever you want in the world, there are tons of characters around other than the family members, a lot of activities that you can be a part of and progress your character skills&stats etc. It will surely take a long time until it feels filled to the brim but we will slowly add tons of side content along with the main family story-arcs each update.

Reactions: Sexy Afrodita

NemesiaProductions

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Do me a big favor. No 18 year olds that look like they're 10....It's sick when they sneak those in. :mad: Example.. Intoxicating Flavor
Youngest looking characters can be seen at the first post mate. I will post some images with character analysis in a bit. Believe me, we hate that too. As a two man project, both of us are trying to achieve a higher degree of reality with the story and characters. All of the behavior you will encounter along with the character models will be psychologically analysed and tailored specifically for them. This means no 60 yo characters speaking like a highschool bimbo or middle-aged women looking like fresh out of elementary ;)

NemesiaProductions

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Nicole Promo Image 1.png Nicole is one of the main characters in our game. She is the mother of the house and has a workshop in the garage where she runs her fashion design business. Currently 43 years old, she has 3 children. Alex (MC), Alice and Raven. One can say that she is a strong woman but on the inside she is a big softy.

NemesiaProductions

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Alice Promo Image 1_nvidia.png Nicole has two daughters and Alice is the older one. Being her twin, you were very close growing up. Alice shaped your personality and helped you become who you are today. You have always remembered her as the delicate flower of the family but it has been 4 years. How is she going to react when she sees you after a long time? Is she still the same ''delicate flower''? What has changed?

Reactions: Cooling Prob

NemesiaProductions

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Raven Concept.jpg
I wasn't going to share this image here but according to patreon this image contains adult themes. So, I can't make it public there, just patrons only. You can enjoy it here tho.

Raven is your little sister. Growing up, you two became inseparable. She always followed you like a little puppy, you were her role model for all intents and purposes but she was still a child when you left their home. Its been a long time since you've seen her. Is she still the same cute little trouble maker you left? How will she react to your return?

HerbertIronsides

Oct 2, 2017
We really don't want to include that to be honest but why not? We could set an optional path for it
If an Incest game has at least the choice for pregnancy it becomes 10 times better imo if you make it optional that would be perfect that way the people that dont like it can avoid it. Hope you decide later down the line to include it.

NemesiaProductions

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Hello folks. I would like to write about our current development progress to give you some sort of insight about the stuff we are working on right now.

I'll start with the demo. As I have mentioned earlier, demo will have no ties with the actual release since we do not want our player base to go trough the same renders/introductions from demo. Also we really don't want to spoil the story with demo so that the experience of the main game can be much more unique and enjoyable. To counter this issue we have come up with a special story for the demo.

Basically you will see the actual characters from the main game with the somewhat similar behavior, whole thing will be set in the same environment but you can say that it is from a parallel universe. The Alex of that timeline made some choices different, some stuff never happened there etc.

Our main goal with the demo is giving you the general idea about our game on the story and visual quality aspects. You can expect some mechanical showcases in the demo but we are not making any promises since mechanics we are working on mostly requires a complete system of the open world we are creating.

Now, about the current progress, it is safe to say that %70 of the renders and %50 of the coding is done. To be honest, creating this demo took a little bit longer than we've anticipated yet it sort of makes sense since we have also created most of the assets which will also be in the main game.

Main game wise, it is a bit complicated. We are trying to create a huge base for the initial release. It is safe to assume that the first version will be over 500 images(story only - not counting the maps, environmental shots,hovers, overlays etc). And writing wise we don't have exact numbers but lets say it will be pretty script heavy. Our current plan (if everything goes accordingly of course) is to include the 3 main characters and 3 side characters with full introductions and a couple of main events. Our event structure is a bit different than what you might have seen before. We will have main events, side events, optional events, repeatable events and daily events. Even if one of our characters from the initial release have only 1 main event it doesn't necessarily mean that she only has 1 event overall. That said character can have 5 side events, 3 optionals, 2 repeatables and more than 10 daily events. Lets get back to the current progress since this wall of text is getting huge. Currently we have almost %20 of the renders and roughly %20 of the coding ready.

Hope it is enlightening for you guys. I will try to drop these big dev-process summaries every once in a while. Thank you for reading. Here is a naked Nicole for your troubles. See you soon with more exciting news o/ PooltestNicoleNewPatio 2_nvidia.png

Guntag

Donor
May 3, 2017
Those renders look great, but what about a screen or 2 showing the UI ? I think it's important since it's a sandbox game. I think one thing sandbox games should avoid, especially at the begining, are "empty places". Lots of places to visit, but most of them being empty because of the early development, or just because they are only used for very few scenes but stay available all the time.

An other thing important about sandboxes, is that they often require grinding (relationship for example, or some other stats). I don't mind grinding as long as they are not boring.
For example, having to eat or wash every day, even if it's realistic, isn't interesting. That being say, you can make events taking place during meals or when in the bathroom of course.
An other grinding aspect is money. Usually, it's working. It can be boring (just click work, spend time/energy, gain money every day), or it can be interesting, with characters related to the money making process, or with frequent mini-events related to it, making it interesting for the player instead of a chore.
Same thing with relationship, but usually, it's the best develop grind in games, so I'm not too worried here.

And finally, don't underestimate the eye candy, it's important !

P.S : Don't you foresee issues with Patreon's crusade against incest ?

P.S. 2 : A question about renders. It's not specific about your renders because I see it in a lot of games, but I just seize the opportunity to ask here. I notice that girls either short hair or tied hair. Is it because long untied hair is more difficult to render ? I even notice it in AAA games. In Dragon Age 2 (I know, it's getting old), all the characters also have short or tied hair. I even remember when Witcher 3 was released, having Geralt's hair at max "resolution" option required a beast of a machine while just deactivating that option could make the game much easier to run.

...ok... P.S. 3 : What about linearity ? I really really like games with choices, but I also enjoy some completely linear games (Milf City, Timestamps, Man of the House). I wonder what are your plans ?

Last edited:

NemesiaProductions

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Those renders look great, but what about a screen or 2 showing the UI ? I think it's important since it's a sandbox game. I think one thing sandbox games should avoid, especially at the begining, are "empty places". Lots of places to visit, but most of them being empty because of the early development, or just because they are only used for very few scenes but stay available all the time.

An other thing important about sandboxes, is that they often require grinding (relationship for example, or some other stats). I don't mind grinding as long as they are not boring.
For example, having to eat or wash every day, even if it's realistic, isn't interesting. That being say, you can make events taking place during meals or when in the bathroom of course.
An other grinding aspect is money. Usually, it's working. It can be boring (just click work, spend time/energy, gain money every day), or it can be interesting, with characters related to the money making process, or with frequent mini-events related to it, making it interesting for the player instead of a chore.
Same thing with relationship, but usually, it's the best develop grind in games, so I'm not too worried here.

And finally, don't underestimate the eye candy, it's important !

P.S : Don't you foresee issues with Patreon's crusade against incest ?
Thank you so much for showing this much interest in our game. I think starting with the most important aspect of your message is the most logical move so I'll explain the Patreon problem.

We are aware of the Patreon's view on incest themes and that is the main reason we have a different story on our patreon page. While it is not the one we are trying to build our game upon, it is a slightly changed version of it. According to our patreon page this game will be about a boy who is living with an extremely friendly family who just happen to love him like their own. Standard landlord, childhood friend diversion. Now we are not extremely sure that this is going to work as we intend it to, we are also not expecting a purge since there are tons of incest games with different stories in their patreon page. For example has a patreon page for his games and one of those is a pretty incest game called Milfy City.

We will have two different UI designs for the game and demo. The UI for our demo which is very simplified version of the actual game since we are not including the full sandbox environment in the demo. They are under constant change at the moment and we really don't want to share something that unfinished. You can expect a showcase for it shortly before the demo release though.

About the grinding, we are planning to include tons of mechanics which will resemble RPG elements like skill&stat system which we will use to determine the players success chance on some events/availability of some choices etc. They will certainly require a balanced amount of enjoyable grind but we are not expecting our players to fill every single skill and stat to the brim to be honest. Realistically you will need to be a character with expert level of knowledge on some things while being a complete beginner on others. We are working on an easy mode to make things go smoother for grind hating members of our future audience though.

Relationship system is more like a checkpoint system which determines the things you can and can't do with a certain character. For example when you meet a certain side character, you will get to know her and get her to know you slowly. During that time, depending on your success, either you will proceed to the next level, get her number(which will be usable for a lot of things) or fail miserably to get her attention. From that point you can either get a second chance with her or lose her completely. We are aware of this being just a game but we also want to include as much realism as we can along the way. Long story short, we don't want our game to be ''Aim, bang, pick a new target, aim, bang, repeat''.

You have mentioned eating, bathing kind of interactions and most of them being boring elements that you will have to do because they mostly play a huge part on your ability to progress. Well actually you will see that kind of stuff in our game and frankly, not including them feels a bit unrealistic. To counter that boring repetition we are planning random events that can happen during those interactions. Imagine making coffee for yourself, someone randomly (if their daily schedule allows it of course) approach you, start talking and ultimately joins you during that event, it might even lead to a completely different event if we can manage to write that ''chain event'' mechanic.

About the money making/spending, we are planning some innovative stuff on that aspect but we are not completely comfortable with sharing those at the moment. You can be sure about one thing though, we won't include money, actually anything, for the sake of including it. We are definitely planning tons of stuff for everything we will include.

I can not speak for other developers but for me (we are a 2 man project and I am the one responsible for renders and public interactions along with other stuff) it is more of a design choice rather than a hardware issue. I am using dForce on every clothing item that I choose for our characters. Long hair tend to turn that simulation process to a nightmare. If I choose to make it invisible during the simulation and make it visible after it is done, it will clip trough body parts and outfit. Currently I do not have any good dForce dynamic hair assets and to be honest, I don't think there are any good looking ones out there anyway. After earning enough, we are planning to hire a temporary 3D artist to design dForce hairs for us. You will see long hairs after that for sure.

On the linearity subject, you will be able to experience a completely linear story if that is your choice. We are not forcing you to explore every single side story, different environments etc. You can strictly stick to the main characters and if you follow the designated path which we will include with a smart guidance system, the game will feel like a complete linear story. We are also planning an alternative for linear narrative lovers such as yourself but it is fairly early to talk about it now.

I really hope this answers your questions. We are really happy to see such an interest from you. Hopefully we will manage to create something that you will enjoy very much. o/ make sure to check our patreon page since we are sharing stuff there too. Most of the development related stuff are public there.

Guntag

Donor
May 3, 2017
Thanks for the quick reply ! I'm not a native speaker, so I probably mispoke about linearity. I meant I prefered games with choices (where the player feels he has an impact on the game instead of just being a spectator), but I could also enjoy a linear game.

I also think my view on linearity is stricter than yours. For example, a simplified situation : if between events A and D there is B and C, I still consider it linear if I can do B then C, or C then B, or skip B or C (unless it has an impact on events after D of course). It meens, in the end D will be the same whetever I chose between A and D. Milfy City is a typical example, you can do almost any events in any order, skip some of them (if I remember correctly), but in the end it doesn't change the events/story at all (and I still enjoy it). But that's just my little point of view, don't mind it : )

NemesiaProductions

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Dev Diary #2

Hi folks. I come bearing gifts this time. After you are done enjoying Young Nicole you can read about the current development process down below.
YoungNicolePhotoshootPromoPatreon.png
This is Nicole(Mother) 25 years ago. Guess we can see where Alice got her looks from. Also, a spicy beach photo shoot gallery for the Young Nicole will be available on our for ''Nicole's Friend Tier'' in a couple of hours.

========================

So, about the development process, we are currently crunching like there is no tomorrow. Renders are coming up nicely and a big event that is gonna be in the demo along with 2 not so small ones are complete except the post work and minor fixes on the script. Semi-Open world backbone of the demo is also finished and waiting for its last polishing iteration. If everything goes smoothly, we are expecting to enter in-house testing stage. Depending on our judgment during that stage, we might release an early version of demo for the patreon first and release the actual demo a week after that. Don't let this make you think that the demo release will be after November though.

That is all for todays dev-diary. I am hoping to come back with more news really soon. As always, thank you so much for your interest and support you guys are what keeps us going. Do not forget the patreon too, I'm sure Nicole will be bored alone there.