VN Ren'Py The Cabin - Summer Vacation - Development Thread

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Yeah, I've played a few games with them and I find that eventually it can become similar to nails on the chalkboard. In that, if it is constant or too frequent, it becomes visually irritating. I can't remember which game it was but there was one where it felt like nearly every other sentence and irl people don't say "haha" or "hehe".
Rest assured I've removed any haha's and hehe's :p I wonder if line descriptions are ok though? something like "*Whispers" I don't know what to say about that." or "*Shouting* What did you just say?" and such :p if that makes any sense :unsure:

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Development Update - 15/05/2021

Haven't done an update in a while and now is a good a time as any. I was at a point not long ago where I thought the art was finished, turns out I was mistaken, due to my own inability to remember where I saved something, I just can't seem to keep things in the same folder :p it's the same with my WTHI work to xD

I now have like 8 more images to render though and then it'll all be finished. I've also finished around 75% of the coding, probably have another 3/4 days worth of coding to do, so not long now till the release, I hope to have it ready sometime next week. Once I've finished coding it, I will be taking 1 or 2 days to fully test it and make sure to fix all spelling errors, which I know there will be a shit ton :p

Also, since I'm done with the art for episode 1 and as I'm addicted to working in daz, I decided that while the last images are rendering and have nothing to do in my down time from WTHI, I once again took to daz to try and improve my skills. Below is a couple of previews for something I've been working on, it has nothing to do with The Cabin or anything else for that matter, just messing around :p

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The renders aren't perfect by a long shot, some clipping and hair issues but I'm somewhat fond of the character and lighting, might turn it into a comic or mini game :unsure:

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Rest assured I've removed any haha's and hehe's :p I wonder if line descriptions are ok though? something like "*Whispers" I don't know what to say about that." or "*Shouting* What did you just say?" and such :p if that makes any sense :unsure:
That makes more sense, you can also say things like: “Quietly laughs…”, or something similar so we know that the person is laughing or perhaps “with an amused tone”. A visual novel is still a novel and in writing one I’d expect or prefer some descriptive text that lets the audience know how someone is emoting or that sets a scene. The pictures and models can only convey so much, the rest should be handled by the writing.

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
For shouting, whispering and such, Id say better use different font sizes (SHOUT,speak,whisper).
Having too many unnecessary info in the text box can be distracting too, kinda like reading subtitles for hearing-impaired with all that additional "descriptive" stuff.

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
For shouting, whispering and such, Id say better use different font sizes (SHOUT,speak,whisper).
Having too many unnecessary info in the text box can be distracting too, kinda like reading subtitles for hearing-impaired with all that additional "descriptive" stuff.
Normally for shouting I would have just used all caps, so something like "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU MEAN SARAH?", the only issue with that is I don't know how to capitalize a characters name, as the player will be able to name every character I use [sname] to put the chosen name in a sentence, so for me writing it, it would be "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU MEAN [sname]" but the way it would come out in game is "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU MEAN Sarah" which I think would look weird :unsure: I've googled how to capitalize it but to no success.

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
Normally for shouting I would have just used all caps, so something like "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU MEAN SARAH?", the only issue with that is I don't know how to capitalize a characters name, as the player will be able to name every character I use [sname] to put the chosen name in a sentence, so for me writing it, it would be "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU MEAN [sname]" but the way it would come out in game is "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU MEAN Sarah" which I think would look weird :unsure: I've googled how to capitalize it but to no success.
check here - a few options: https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-coding-help-capitalization.23922/

Reactions: CellStudios

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Development Update - 16-05-2021

It's finished :unsure:

Just need to take 1/2 days to test it and fix any bugs/the tens of millions of spelling mistakes and then it'll be ready for release...
If you need a tester I'd be happy to help ;)

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
If you need a tester I'd be happy to help ;)
I'll probably use you for the 2nd release :unsure: I'm going to try and code that one as each scene get's finished and could use input on how the scene could be changed or what could be added in to smooth it out a little, I don't really want that for this release as I don't want to spend another month adding new things in :p

Reactions: MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I'll probably use you for the 2nd release :unsure: I'm going to try and code that one as each scene get's finished and could use input on how the scene could be changed or what could be added in to smooth it out a little, I don't really want that for this release as I don't want to spend another month adding new things in :p
No worries, always happy to help. Looking forward to seeing all your hard work. :)

Reactions: CellStudios

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
Just started it and the MC sitting on the couch with Lisa and the MC is Hazel not the custom name I gave him.
The attached file should fix that minor bug (hname/mcname typo).
Just replace the old one with this.
There are a few more text-typos you will encounter (for example "as Hazel show's you around" probably should be replaced with "....shows...").

Btw, great start, all the best Cell!(y)
p.s.
Hazel, the proper one :BootyTime: , is my pers favorite:love:

Last edited:

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
There are a few more text-typos you will encounter (for example "as Hazel show's you around" probably should be replaced with "....shows...").

p.s.
Thank you! And I will play through and see what I think. Right now I have to say it looks like there aren't any choices to make so far.

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
Thank you! And I will play through and see what I think. Right now I have to say it looks like there aren't any choices to make so far.
yeah, in this intro no choices so far.
adding a few would be good for the sake of the story and future development, id say.
unless Cell wanna to do a KN, which is not a case i hope.

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Just started it and the MC sitting on the couch with Lisa and the MC is Hazel not the custom name I gave him.
Balls, I literally played through it twice to make sure there was nothing like that, will for sure need you for part 2 :p

p.s.
Cheers, appreciate the fix, I'll add it to the download now xD I think Hazel is my fav to xD
Yeah it follows a linear story, after seeing how much work Cheeky and Ace put into tracking options in WTHI I knew I'd have no chance, so stuck with it being a linear VN

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote