VN Ren'Py The best ways to advertise

heeraw

Game Developer
Jan 25, 2023
Aside visual representation, in regards of reaching the audience, what are the best ways/places to start with advertising new indie vn? Aside, of course here, which could be the best and obvious option. Maybe it's worth trying to dig into social networks, or are there more niche platforms out there? Is something like itchio a valid option? Would love to learn opinions and insights on that matter. And thank you in advance!

Reactions: BrothelGospel

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Itch.io gave my patreon a lot of visibility, it's indeed very good.
Reddit is also a pretty good platform, regular updates in here, and newgrounds if your game has a webgl build.

Uglyvirgin

Mar 9, 2018
Reddit is also a pretty good platform,
I find it interesting that Itch.io is at the top of your list. Comparing Itch.io to F95 (which I thought was the significantly larger platform when it came to adult games), which one lead to the highest exposure? Sorry if I'm be jumping into conclusion here, I know OP said besides here.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I find it interesting that Itch.io is at the top of your list. Comparing Itch.io to F95 (which I thought was the significantly larger platform when it came to adult games), which one lead to the highest exposure? Sorry if I'm be jumping into conclusion here, I know OP said besides here.
they weren't in order

heeraw

Game Developer
Jan 25, 2023
Reddit is also a pretty good platform, regular updates in here, and newgrounds if your game has a webgl build.
Thank you! Though I do not consider making a Patreon at early stages of first builds, but reaching out to the correct audience might still be the top priority for me. As for the reddit, I actually haven't even thought about that as an option, which is weird since it might be just as useful!

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
You want to have a Patreon page and a Discord server as early as possible, otherwise most of your visibility will get lost. It's like organizing a party, but rather than handing out the address, you simply say "the party is in that general direction".

heeraw

Game Developer
Jan 25, 2023
You want to have a Patreon page and a Discord server as early as possible, otherwise most of your visibility will get lost. It's like organizing a party, but rather than handing out the address, you simply say "the party is in that general direction".
Thank you for helping out. I've been sitting back for a while on the idea in general, so I might be late to the party, but somehow I decided to join in anyways and I hope I'll get better along the way to achieve better results too. It's a fun and interesting journey I'd say.