lnppo

Jun 23, 2018
"Nobody is paying on only fans to fund the girls lifestyles. They support them in deluded hopes they will be noticed and maybe get some action."

So by your logic, they are fully entitled to get angry and demand to get some action with the girl, because in their head they decided that is what they are paying for, right?
Nah, people pay for OnlyFans for pics/videos and online interactions with the girl. Don't make asinine, nonsense comparisons.
I also love how you naturally know everyones intentions on the patreon with such clarity. You truly must be an oracle of some kind.
Do you genuinely believe people are subbing to support him streaming? Come on, you can't be sincere with this shit.

onewholerat

May 21, 2023
Look, no one is paying him on Patreon to support his streaming endeavors or fund his lifestyle. People are supporting him in the hopes that he will continue development of Teraurge.

Like I said, he has no legal obligation, he could change his Patreon description to: "give me free money so I can buy booze and cigarettes" and people would still donate to him, not to get him his nicotine and alcohol fix, but because they want to see Teraurge's development continued.

you do realise that people, like, give money to their favorite artists... because they simply want to support said artist? it isnt always some transactional "i give you money, you give me product/service" type thing

and even so, if youre putting money in a tip jar expecting to get something out of it then i think thats kind of a you problem LOL

hatass

Oct 6, 2017
If you are mad that the game still isnt out, vacate the premises and go play the rest of the anime garbage that is out and definitely isnt ripping you off on patreon.
I mean, why? This is a public forum about the game, where else would one go to express that they're mad that the game still isn't out? And yeah let's not pretend there aren't any quality releases that make significant progress regularly. The Pilgrimage comes to mind.

Again, no one should feel entitled to the game being made, but feeling salty about the opposite is pretty understandable.

lnppo

Jun 23, 2018
you do realise that people, like, give money to their favorite artists... because they simply want to support said artist? it isnt always some transactional "i give you money, you give me product/service" type thing

and even so, if youre putting money in a tip jar expecting to get something out of it then i think thats kind of a you problem LOL
I scrolled through a year+ of his Patreon posts looking at the comments on them and every one I saw was about Teraurge. His blog is completely dedicated to V3 of Teraurge. Personally, I think the claim that his supporters are supporting him because they like him and want to give him free money is far more absurd than mine. But whatever, "LOL" indeed.

hatass

Oct 6, 2017
to reiterate/paraphrase what i said prior, the dev doesnt owe anybody a completed project. it was made clear that, when you support him via patreon, youre not getting early access to a game or any similar benefits because there might not be one in the first place-- with this being said, i think that a lack of public transparency about the development process has the capacity to be misleading, though that isn't necessarily his fault. people just lack reading comprehension so clarity would be helpful but its not obligatory
There are expectations around selling a product. Nothing wrong with that. There's no legal entitlement with Patreon, but it's commonly understood that a "crowdfunded" product is meant to be finished at the stage when you're accepting the money.
and even if he did say that If You Give Me Money I Will Make A Game then.. yeah, its gonna take a while, because developing a full indie game from the ground up takes a lot of time and effort! and yes, it truly can and does take upwards of multiple years to do this; it isn't so cut-and-dry as "work this many hours because you are receiving this wage" = "polished and enjoyable end result". making a whole ass game by hand, solo, means that youre doing like 8 jobs at once. shit takes a long time
Words "a full indie game" and "a whole ass game" are doing so much work here. It's a visual novel with static images, text, a few uncomplicated mechanics and cool music. If this takes so long then how do other solo developers manage consistent monthly updates with 3D animations, experimental mechanics and additions (see above for The Pilgrimage as an example)? It's because it doesn't take that long. It's a development issue not a complexity issue.

Last I checked Patreon wasn't really a donation website but sure, why not. All I'm saying is that I personally would disable funding for months that I'm not putting out content. Some creators do that when they're unproductive for whatever personal reason. I don't necessarily judge anyone for not doing that, but again saltiness here is understandable.

Ultimately I think both sides should take a chill pill, it's fairly obvious what's going on here and anyone giving money to Patreon at this point is just doing it out of principle. I do find the claims that "work is slow but we'll definitely surely get there eventually!" somewhat misleading and personally I would just stop expecting anything to come out of this project and then be pleasantly surprised when it does. Maybe make a competitor instead, or be inspired by it. I know I certainly am.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
That's correct, glad we got out of the way the silly "well commissioner isn't an artist" talking point. Very clearly people who direct others to execute some creative endeavors on their behalf are being creative. Otherwise film directors wouldn't be artists because they don't act, they don't make props, they don't operate the camera themselves, instead telling others to do it for them to execute their vision. Usually with words I'd imagine.
You're not reading what I'm writing. Even if the guy paying someone else to do it isn't the artist, the person performing or paid to do the art is.
That's completely incorrect. I can go in detail about inner workings of diffusion algorithms if someone asks but for now let's simplify and say that there is absolutely nothing about it that plagiarizes or frankensteins in any sense of those words. Neither does it "spin the wheels". If anything it does the complete opposite, it "unspins" the wheels until you get something coherent.
The algorithm reproduces patterns. It doesn't know what direction a human hand is supposed to face or how many fingers it's supposed to have or where the webbing of the hand is supposed to be. It just reproduces whatever shapes are commonly associated with a "hand".
I mean that can absolutely be true. That can also be true of someone drawing an image in Photoshop too. If I'm drawing a photorealistic picture of an orange from reference, I don't necessarily make any significant creative decisions, just exercising my precise drawing ability. Or maybe I'm just using templates to quickly put together a logo for a brand, which wouldn't be particularly creative but necessary to pay the bills. Or maybe I'm just drawing commissioner's vision for money, despite hating the idea, the design, and frankly wanting to be done with it. This notion that all human drawing is full of creativity and "soul" and is never bad, lazy or done only for quick bucks is pretty ridiculous (I mean we're on f95 for god's sake...). On the flip side, some AI generated art takes hours upon hours of touching up, inpainting or editing to achieve the desired results. That's not to say that just prompting well cannot be a creative endeavor - at the end of the day it's just a person expressing themselves. You thinking that their tool of choice makes it "too easy" does nothing to change that fact. We could also go into using AI during normal painting process - something that's already done by quite a few professional artists. Does that mean they lost all their creative decision making? Some? Is a little bit okay? Is the AI stuff already baked into the Photoshop okay or is that creatively bankrupt too? Are AI post processing algorithms baked into your iPhone okay or do you MUST have a DSLR to make creative photography? Yeah, I'm pretty sure you cannot reconcile all this without going into some adjacent point about why "AI bad", but I'm prepared to be surprised.
Regardless of how much effort you put into something or like doing something, there's still conscious thoughts behind those decisions. If you're commissioning a piece of art, you can ask the artist why they've chosen what they've chosen. They have an opinion of what they've made, or why they decided to use the style that they use. The art is undoubtedly the work of the person who produced the work. And to clarify, I never said that human work is inherently creative, good and devoid of bad qualities. I'm expressing that AI doesn't make or decide anything on its own whim, or in other words, it's soulless. The person having AI make something for them still doesn't actually do any of the work themselves. The words or images that appear on the page aren't something that came out of their head. Just because they ask the machine to revise it until it gets closer to their vision still doesn't change that. I don't know the first thing about AI being used in photoshop and I don't intend to pretend to.
So if I create designs for the cakes and tell another cook, who just executes my directions, to make it, who's doing the creative work? Who's "being creative"?
That would depend on what you mean by design. Do you mean by recipe, physical appearance, or what? But regardless of who is the creative party, both of you have an idea of what looks and tastes good. A chef could intentionally come up with a flavor that is pleasing even when it isn't conventional, or improvise something to replace a missing ingredient, based on their knowledge and skill. If AI could understand or learn to understand why their art oftentimes looks so uncanny, their art wouldn't look so uncanny. It can't even initiate its own research into the topic.
I'm about to blow your entire world wide open with the existence of product managers.
I don't think you and I are thinking about the same thing. I'm talking about the delusional people who think they have a novel idea and expects someone else to happily do all the work to make it a reality because the idea is inherently valuable, but doesn't intend to pay them until the idea succeeds.
It is much much better, kind of why everyone is doing this instead of tracing and color swapping art, which apparently would require even fewer steps. Once again, it has absolutely nothing in common with tracing or color swapping. And I do mean nothing, other than the fact that both result in some arrangement of pixels. I'm curious to see how do you reconcile the fact that the machines apparently don't understand the significance of shapes and colors yet when I prompt it for a "cat" it draws a better picture than 95% of humanity. I guess it depends on one's definition of "understanding" and philosophically it may well be true. Perhaps none of us really have any understanding either. Who knows. But if we assume that humans generally do have that understanding, then isn't it great that I, the human, can use a stupid tool that doesn't understand the significance of anything to create something that I have an understandng of significance of? Kind of like Photoshop actually.
I can only agree to disagree. If we get into this, we're just going to talk in lengthy circles about semantics and further clutter the thread.
At any rate, happy to talk about why it's not copying or tracing or color swapping or whatever if that's a controversial point for whatever reason, but I frankly encourage everyone to learn a bit more about the tech before taking any strong stances about it on the false basis.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not exactly a great orator or expert in AI, but if we're talking about human perceptions, there's definitely something about AI, even good looking AI, that feels off. It's the smell, if there's such a thing. But just because some people unfortunately draw like AI doesn't mean that there isn't something uncomfortable about AI art. That said, as an amateur creative type, there's definitely things you pick up on and appreciate that I didn't before I tried my hand at creating, and it's not the same as browsing for something that suits my taste.

hatass

Oct 6, 2017
These posts are getting huge, so let's define a few key theses that are going to be relevant throughout:
1. Very clearly someone directing a tool can be an artist. This tool can be advanced and substitute parts of the labor that may have otherwise been required. Example 1: a digital painter using Photoshop to execute their vision. Photoshop has plenty of features to help along, including AI algorithms, such as generative fill and smart masking. Example 2: a photographer using an iPhone. iPhone does plenty of things to improve picture quality, oftentimes WITHOUT any decision making from the photographer. For example, it will detect the presence of the sun and adjust brightness and colors accordingly. If you know anything about DSLR photography, you will know that it's a pretty massive part of taking a picture. There are loads more, these are just simple to understand examples.
2. Very clearly someone directing a person can be an artist. See my previous example of a movie director. In this instance, that person is NOT necessarily an artist themselves. For example, a camera operator can just be told how to execute the shot, without their input.

Also, since English language is complicated and the term "artist" has several meanings, I'm going to specifically refer to a person drawing something as a "painter" and a person who is performing some kind of creative endeavor as an "artist", to avoid confusion.
You're not reading what I'm writing. Even if the guy paying someone else to do it isn't the artist, the person performing or paid to do the art is.
See thesis 2. Either or both could be considered an artist. It depends on the situation. It could be that commissioner is very strict on their vision and the painter just does the work of putting it on the canvas, then the commissioner is the artist (the one doing creative work). It could be that the painter has complete creative freedom with just a general idea given, in which case the painter would be the artist. It could be that both contribute, making them both artists.
The algorithm reproduces patterns. It doesn't know what direction a human hand is supposed to face or how many fingers it's supposed to have or where the webbing of the hand is supposed to be. It just reproduces whatever shapes are commonly associated with a "hand".
I recommend you read a book on basic fundamentals of drawing. One of the first things you are taught is to never think about drawing "an object" and its relations in 3D space but rather think about simple 2D shapes that you see. Painters quite literally disable their depth perception on purpose by closing one eye when observing their subjects. The famous training exercise of drawing upside down is meant to force you to stop thinking about real world concepts and focus on the shapes. There are some techniques that have to do with thinking of simple 3D shapes (like spheres, cylinders, cubes) on the canvas and constructing the subject from there, but those are in no way a requirement to paint.

We could also talk about how neural networks do actually quite literally get an understanding of real world concepts - an easy to understand example would be that embeddings of language models words such as "king" and "queen" will be in the roughly in the same relation to each other as words "man" and "woman", despite being in different parts of the latent space. Meaning the model will understand the concept of gender. But it's not super important to this particular point. It's just that the model will get whatever information or concepts necessary to perform its task by nature of training, sometimes better than humans (this is how we lost to bots in chess for example, or discover new mathematical proofs via AI).

Hands by the way are famously difficult to draw in perspective, especially in arbitrary poses. Remember I talked about people mistakenly witch hunting actual painters? Well that often comes from hands not looking perfectly acceptable. And not only that, but AI will of course be affected by any errors in the dataset that was used to train it. In that sense, AI was bad at hands because humans are bad at hands! Isn't that cool? Notice I said "was", that's because newer models have been pretty good at hands for quite a while now. Finally, if you see extremely bad hands on a gen, that's because the author didn't put any effort into fixing them up. With inpainting it's extremely easy to do. This will be relevant later.
Regardless of how much effort you put into something or like doing something, there's still conscious thoughts behind those decisions. If you're commissioning a piece of art, you can ask the artist why they've chosen what they've chosen. They have an opinion of what they've made, or why they decided to use the style that they use. The art is undoubtedly the work of the person who produced the work. And to clarify, I never said that human work is inherently creative, good and devoid of bad qualities. I'm expressing that AI doesn't make or decide anything on its own whim, or in other words, it's soulless. The person having AI make something for them still doesn't actually do any of the work themselves. The words or images that appear on the page aren't something that came out of their head. Just because they ask the machine to revise it until it gets closer to their vision still doesn't change that. I don't know the first thing about AI being used in photoshop and I don't intend to pretend to.
I mean you can study why a model made a particular "choice", we do all the time. It's just difficult, it's like if the painter was in another language. Speaking of languages, humans also do things rather "mindlessly" oftentimes. For example, native speakers often struggle to explain rules of their language to a learner, saying something like "I dunno man, it's just how to is". That's because they internalized it through practice, rather than consciously thinking about grammar rules. This is what becoming "fluent" essentially is. This applies to many skills where they kind of become automatic rather than being conscious. Painting is no exception. One of the best times I was painting was where I was in the "flow", rather than thinking about it consciously. And to be clear, no one is claiming that AI is conscious. I consider it a tool, but a clever one at that, and one that has many attributes of a person executing your decisions for you. Makes sense, since it does have neural networks at its heart.
That would depend on what you mean by design. Do you mean by recipe, physical appearance, or what? But regardless of who is the creative party, both of you have an idea of what looks and tastes good. A chef could intentionally come up with a flavor that is pleasing even when it isn't conventional, or improvise something to replace a missing ingredient, based on their knowledge and skill. If AI could understand or learn to understand why their art oftentimes looks so uncanny, their art wouldn't look so uncanny. It can't even initiate its own research into the topic.
I don't know why this is important. The point is basically thesis 1. Not sure why you'd want a tool to do research, or what you mean by that.
I don't think you and I are thinking about the same thing. I'm talking about the delusional people who think they have a novel idea and expects someone else to happily do all the work to make it a reality because the idea is inherently valuable, but doesn't intend to pay them until the idea succeeds.
Then I'm not sure what your example has to do with the discussion, or what it was supposed to illustrate.
I can only agree to disagree. If we get into this, we're just going to talk in lengthy circles about semantics and further clutter the thread.
As long as we agree that it has nothing to do with copying or tracing or editing or theft, then I'm good with this. Just don't want to pollute the discourse with inaccurate emotional language.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not exactly a great orator or expert in AI, but if we're talking about human perceptions, there's definitely something about AI, even good looking AI, that feels off. It's the smell, if there's such a thing. But just because some people unfortunately draw like AI doesn't mean that there isn't something uncomfortable about AI art. That said, as an amateur creative type, there's definitely things you pick up on and appreciate that I didn't before I tried my hand at creating, and it's not the same as browsing for something that suits my taste.
You cannot possibly how well you detect AI art because, well, you cannot possibly know anything about the ones you don't detect. It's been very possible to generate perfectly good artwork that vast vast majority of people won't be able to detect for a while now. It just takes more effort and knowledge. The ones you see as "obvious" are low effort gens. Just like regular artwork, bad gens are more prevalent. I have personally seen a couple of people pass themselves off as normal artists to take on commissions. Their works are posted in public on websites that banned AI gens. Believe me, I'm no less upset by low effort gens than you are. I'm equally as upset by low effort everything though. I mean again, we are on f95.

Last edited:

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
These posts are getting huge, so let's define a few key theses that are going to be relevant throughout:
1. Very clearly someone directing a tool can be an artist. This tool can be advanced and substitute parts of the labor that may have otherwise been required. Example 1: a digital painter using Photoshop to execute their vision. Photoshop has plenty of features to help along, including AI algorithms, such as generative fill and smart masking. Example 2: a photographer using an iPhone. iPhone does plenty of things to improve picture quality, oftentimes WITHOUT any decision making from the photographer. For example, it will detect the presence of the sun and adjust brightness and colors accordingly. If you know anything about DSLR photography, you will know that it's a pretty massive part of taking a picture. There are loads more, these are just simple to understand examples.
2. Very clearly someone directing a person can be an artist. See my previous example of a movie director. In this instance, that person is NOT necessarily an artist themselves. For example, a camera operator can just be told how to execute the shot, without their input.

Also, since English language is complicated and the term "artist" has several meanings, I'm going to specifically refer to a person drawing something as a "painter" and a person who is performing some kind of creative endeavor as an "artist", to avoid confusion.

See thesis 2. Either or both could be considered an artist. It depends on the situation. It could be that commissioner is very strict on their vision and the painter just does the work of putting it on the canvas, then the commissioner is the artist (the one doing creative work). It could be that the painter has complete creative freedom with just a general idea given, in which case the painter would be the artist. It could be that both contribute, making them both artists.

I recommend you read a book on basic fundamentals of drawing. One of the first things you are taught is to never think about drawing "an object" and its relations in 3D space but rather think about simple 2D shapes that you see. Painters quite literally disable their depth perception on purpose by closing one eye when observing their subjects. The famous training exercise of drawing upside down is meant to force you to stop thinking about real world concepts and focus on the shapes. There are some techniques that have to do with thinking of simple 3D shapes (like spheres, cylinders, cubes) on the canvas and constructing the subject from there, but those are in no way a requirement to paint.

We could also talk about how neural networks do actually quite literally get an understanding of real world concepts - an easy to understand example would be that embeddings of language models words such as "king" and "queen" will be in the roughly in the same relation to each other as words "man" and "woman", despite being in different parts of the latent space. Meaning the model will understand the concept of gender. But it's not super important to this particular point. It's just that the model will get whatever information or concepts necessary to perform its task by nature of training, sometimes better than humans (this is how we lost to bots in chess for example, or discover new mathematical proofs via AI).

Hands by the way are famously difficult to draw in perspective, especially in arbitrary poses. Remember I talked about people mistakenly witch hunting actual painters? Well that often comes from hands not looking perfectly acceptable. And not only that, but AI will of course be affected by any errors in the dataset that was used to train it. In that sense, AI was bad at hands because humans are bad at hands! Isn't that cool? Notice I said "was", that's because newer models have been pretty good at hands for quite a while now. Finally, if you see extremely bad hands on a gen, that's because the author didn't put any effort into fixing them up. With inpainting it's extremely easy to do. This will be relevant later.

I mean you can study why a model made a particular "choice", we do all the time. It's just difficult, it's like if the painter was in another language. Speaking of languages, humans also do things rather "mindlessly" oftentimes. For example, native speakers often struggle to explain rules of their language to a learner, saying something like "I dunno man, it's just how to is". That's because they internalized it through practice, rather than consciously thinking about grammar rules. This is what becoming "fluent" essentially is. This applies to many skills where they kind of become automatic rather than being conscious. Painting is no exception. One of the best times I was painting was where I was in the "flow", rather than thinking about it consciously. And to be clear, no one is claiming that AI is conscious. I consider it a tool, but a clever one at that, and one that has many attributes of a person executing your decisions for you. Makes sense, since it does have neural networks at its heart.

I don't know why this is important. The point is basically thesis 1. Not sure why you'd want a tool to do research, or what you mean by that.

Then I'm not sure what your example has to do with the discussion, or what it was supposed to illustrate.

As long as we agree that it has nothing to do with copying or tracing or editing or theft, then I'm good with this. Just don't want to pollute the discourse with inaccurate emotional language.

You cannot possibly how well you detect AI art because, well, you cannot possibly know anything about the ones you don't detect. It's been very possible to generate perfectly good artwork that vast vast majority of people won't be able to detect for a while now. It just takes more effort and knowledge. The ones you see as "obvious" are low effort gens. Just like regular artwork, bad gens are more prevalent. I have personally seen a couple of people pass themselves off as normal artists to take on commissions. Their works are posted in public on websites that banned AI gens. Believe me, I'm no less upset by low effort gens than you are. I'm equally as upset by low effort everything though. I mean again, we are on f95.
No offense my guy, but I don't think this is going to be very productive to keep going. I'm going to go like "no, you're not getting what I'm saying" and you're going to do the same, and it's going to get more complicated as the amount of talking point branches increase.

MidnightKing

Jun 27, 2017
Alright while that mess is going on, I decided to follow through and created a thread about monster/alien/whatever else games. Peep my profile if you want the direct link.

Note: Super barebones until I set aside more time to fill it out, but it's a start. Features Teraurge of course, and I included a little picture of Caenemung for the knowers and cultured individuals alike

LS47

Oct 5, 2021
Alright while that mess is going on, I decided to follow through and created a thread about monster/alien/whatever else games. Peep my profile if you want the direct link.

Note: Super barebones until I set aside more time to fill it out, but it's a start. Features Teraurge of course, and I included a little picture of Caenemung for the knowers and cultured individuals alike
The hero of the people.

hatass

Oct 6, 2017
No offense my guy, but I don't think this is going to be very productive to keep going. I'm going to go like "no, you're not getting what I'm saying" and you're going to do the same, and it's going to get more complicated as the amount of talking point branches increase.
Actually I thought that it was a really interesting discussion and it made me think of this topic in new ways. Sad to hear that wasn't the case for you or that my post ended up being reduced to "you don't get what I'm saying" in your view. I'd like to think I understood your points well enough.

hatass

Oct 6, 2017
Hey you two, get a room already.

Seriously though, art is something that is defined by the beholder more than anything else. What constitutes "real art" varies from person to person, a concept that many people seem to forget.
Unfortunately this also means that some people take offense to certain art and attack its creators. All the more sad when it's done on mistaken premises. But it is what it is.

Meandraco

Apr 13, 2018
Since despair is seemingly setting in: I'm still working on it.

a5b261e4e2408b743888b67473192e4f.png
This is a badly cropped pic of male of caenemung's kind in an underwater environment. It's all messy and smudgy because it's not done.

I don't know what to tell ya people, it really do take a lot of work to make the game. I'm probably incompetent and inefficient on a lot of areas of the development but I'm still working on it. I wish other people made games like mine.

I genuinely planned on making a blogpost about the current state of dev on april again, but I wanted to include a huge pile character head shots to illustrate the breadth of the content and I didn't yet have many sprites entirely done, so I stumbled and fumbled past the date because I needed to do other things and my personal life got busy, etc. Currently I'm working on the new character sprites so I can do a lavish blog post and get some art done.

Here's another one, (PC sketch for size, also note the new background for tavern interactions.)
fc2fa789e09cd237e12d153369c30ff5.png

Here's a third, again, note the smudgy unfinished nature of the sprite.
561f1d80578539042ccb85fd0d2a49d6.png

Have even a fourth one, in this one the PC has crammed himself into a tiny round clay house with a tiny lady, the hole in the ceiling being the door the lady specifically enlarged to get PC inside her dwelling.
cd0294fdb58e053bb10d82a339b9a023.png
Note it entirely lacks detail, because it's not finished.

Let's have a fifth one to give more context.
cb289c63c0084aeb7bcbccff51c67236.jpg

Anyway, the Unity port of the game is code wise done (for multiple months now) and I'm writing and drawing up the loose ends for the content. I've been working on TU this entire time but making predictions or marketing is a thing I don't really jive with. I'm glad people are so passionate about the game to be honest.

4.70 star(s) 50 Votes