RPGM Taking the plunge into RPGMAKER MV Develpoing

Deathdawg

Jul 29, 2017
So here is a thread that I have been debating on asking but felt it would be better to ask for the help in getting started here so here I go asking for advice or links. I am planning mostly on a few adult oriented games, while my daughters will do their games mostly pg13 and such but my question is where to start?
I have a few files but not sure where they go much less what to do with them....either I am too old for this?.....sorry watched Lethal Weapon so couldnt resist ;)

Does anyone know of any tutorial videos that will help me set things up?
Is it possible to ass the essentials pack up so that I do not have to do it on each project?

Deathdawg

Jul 29, 2017
Have you looked around the rpgmakerweb.com site?

Yes and the links that I was finding took me to area of the site that did not even have a basic list of instructions but pressing me to buy more dlcs

Deathdawg

Jul 29, 2017
yes but do they actually answer the two questions that I asked in the OP ? Or are they any for MV?

Does anyone know of any tutorial videos that will help me set things up?
Is it possible to ass the essentials pack up so that I do not have to do it on each project?

xort

Jun 1, 2017
The total lack of documentation makes all the RPG Maker software more of a pain to work with than strictly required.
Took me two days to figure out how to do equip slot checking to see if a player character had armor on or a weapon equipped.

Deathdawg

Jul 29, 2017
What really gets me is that they really do not allow you to store the majority of the dlc in the main folder of the program but instead have to add their dlc to individual projects even going as far as to 'tell' their customers in reply emails that they are required to do so as it would make rpg maker to big and cause issues with the system that tried to run/play the project

Zephery

Jun 10, 2017
What really gets me is that they really do not allow you to store the majority of the dlc in the main folder of the program but instead have to add their dlc to individual projects even going as far as to 'tell' their customers in reply emails that they are required to do so as it would make rpg maker to big and cause issues with the system that tried to run/play the project
Now that's just a load of horse s**t. There are a few ways of dealing with that and the easiest would simply to be a pop up screen asking which content the dev would like to use if that was truly the case. They don't do it because they are a money hungry piece of s**t that will eventual add it into the software and charge us a tune of money for the update, or create a new version and charge us even more money. Just take a look at how they handle sprites, most code has the ability to switch the direction of a sprite but instead there is no mirroring of the sprites in rpg maker you are expected to buy an identical image that they have simply flipped and possibly applied a color filter to. I have noticed that half of all new DLC's are the exact same images with no changes to them and a couple of new sprites.

With work ethics like this do you expect them to truly help with there help center!?

And before anyone says you can not flip the images, if an image is drawn correctly then yes you can, the images that can not be flipped are purposely drawn in such a way/angle that they could't be flipped and still look correct. It's a way to force simple minded people to believe that its impossible.

Reactions: Deathdawg

Zephery

Jun 10, 2017
One thing you can do is alter the original directory with all of the assets that you would like to be in all new projects, highly, if you don't know what you are doing this would not be advised.
As an alternative, you could create 1 new project which you will use as a base. In this new project you would set everything up with all of the new DLC's you have/want. Once you have set this project up you would save it and open as the template and simply use save as or from File Explore simply copy and paste rename the directory and in both cases you could change the them of the project within the setting(databse button looking like gears) clicking on the System tab and changing Game Title to your new project name.
as for setting things up you could try this link which has a few helpful hints while focus on previous version of rpg make some are still helpful. While the coding may be a little different all you need to do is a search for the equivalent command on the web or withing the js files that make up your versions game. You can check here for a large portion of the MV commands. I still have to do a search through several forums to find a large part of the commands I need but once I find it I copy it and add it to my own help file.
As to where your files are located that would depend most likely on your steam install location: mine is located here:
D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\RPG Maker MV. Yours will most likely not be drive D: with the important part being the bold part. Your new dlc content will be located under the subfolder \dlc. There is I believe a way to install the dlc content through rpg maker but I don't remember how to do it as I only spent about 3 minutes looking at doing that way.
I hope this helps.