Tool Others TAD Extractor

Jul 8, 2018
What is a TAD file?

So far I haven't been able to figure out which engine is responsible for storing their files in TAD formatting.
I made this script to extract data from the TAD files in this game.

What makes up a TAD file?

The header of the TAD uses 0x20 0x71 as a delimiter.

The first few bytes before the delimiter above tells us how many files there are in the TAD file.
The following bytes separated by the delimiter corresponds to the filesize (in bytes) for each of the files in the TAD file.
The rest of the bytes in the TAD file are the binary contents of the files within the TAD file.

So this is the simplest TAD file:
Code:
Files | Delimiter | Size | Delimiter | Data
0x31  | 0x20 0x71 | 0x30 | 0x20 0x71 | 0x00
Updates and Source Code

and any updates and issues should be posted on there.

Last edited:

YukiSoul

Jul 11, 2018
i dont understand how to use it, can you explain it? (i have no experience using github compiler)

Reactions: Lazro
Jul 8, 2018
i dont understand how to use it, can you explain it? (i have no experience using github compiler)
There are two attachments, one for Linux and one for Windows. There are already precompiled binaries in those attachments alongside the source code used to compile them. The build instructions are pretty simple if you wanted to compile it yourself on either platform:

Linux/macOS/BSD
  1. Install gcc (or any other C/C++ compiler for your platform), make, and cmake.
  2. Create a new folder in the sources called "build" and enter that directory.
  3. Run
    Code:
    cmake ../ && make
    to compile the sources

Windows
  1. Install Microsoft Visual Studio (I used Visual Studio 2015 for the binary in the attachment) and cmake for Windows
  2. Open the cmake GUI and point to the folder with the source code and then make a new folder called "build"
  3. Select the newly created build directory as the location where you'll build the binaries.
  4. Click the configure button and select the version of Visual Studio you installed.
  5. Then click the generate button to generate the SLN file that you can open in Visual Studio.
  6. From there you can simply compile the project like you would any other in Visual Studio.

I'm not very good with explanations so I probably should follow this up with a couple of videos showcasing the process for Windows and Linux machines.

[EDIT]

I decided to upload the videos showcasing how to do this on Linux and Windows:

Let me know if I shouldn't be using Streamable for video sharing because I can't upload this to YouTube due to it showcasing some nudity in the extracted files.

Last edited:

krmit001

May 26, 2021
Dracovian
Thanks for the tool.
---
In attaches are TAD's that extractor cannot process properly. It skip them or extract a bunch of unreadable PNG's.
Can you please look into this?
Thanks in advance.

Jul 8, 2018
Dracovian
Thanks for the tool.
---
In attaches are TAD's that extractor cannot process properly. It skip them or extract a bunch of unreadable PNG's.
Can you please look into this?
Thanks in advance.
I ran the pre-compiled Windows binary that I have attached in the original post on all of those provided TAD files without any issue:
Code:
./tadextractor 11.tad 11
./tadextractor 12.tad 12
./tadextractor 13.tad 13
./tadextractor 14.tad 14
./tadextractor 17.tad 17
And what I got out of it was nothing short of success: .

VoidExile

Oct 1, 2018
Are you still around? Decided to get Sodom.R and wanted to check the pic folder, but it's all TAD and the premade extractor just opens and closes whether i drag the file to it or try to open it manually. Any ideas?

pcnop

Jun 26, 2018
Are you still around? Decided to get Sodom.R and wanted to check the pic folder, but it's all TAD and the premade extractor just opens and closes whether i drag the file to it or try to open it manually. Any ideas?
Apparently the structure of TAD files is really basic.

Attached, a small tool (windows 64 version only) quickly coded to extract files from a TAD file.

Select one TAD file ("File..." button) to process it, or one folder ("All files..." button) to process all the TAD files present in this folder.

Extracted files are put into a sub-folder called [TAD_FileName].out: for instance, if the TAD file to process is called "Pictures.tad", the output files will be extracted into the sub-folder called "Pictures.tad.out".

Capture: capture.jpg

*** EDIT ***

Removed the 32 bits version, as it is WRONGLY considered as a virus by some "minor" antivirus at Virus Total, and so by the AV system of this web site.

*** EDIT 2 ***

Upgraded to version 1.02 with a 'Build TAD file' option. See here concerning the rules for this new option: https://f95zone.to/threads/tad-extractor.61638/post-12202274

Last edited:

VoidExile

Oct 1, 2018
Apparently the structure of TAD files is really basic.

Attached, a small tool (windows 64 and 32 bits versions) quickly coded to extract files from a TAD file.

Select one TAD file ("File..." button) to process it, or one folder ("All files..." button) to process all the TAD files present in this folder.

Extracted files are put into a sub-folder called [TAD_FileName].out: for instance, if the TAD file to process is called "Pictures.tad", the output files will be extracted into the sub-folder called "Pictures.tad.out".

Capture: View attachment 1748163

It's considered "severe" on a threat scale by windows and apparently windows wanted a security scan of it. Virus total says no viruses. Must be the fact that the program is more or less illegal. Well at least it seems like it worked this time. It seems it only likes to extract the content of one folder and not all the subfolders

Last edited:

pcnop

Jun 26, 2018
It's considered "severe" on a threat scale by windows and apparently windows wanted a security scan of it. Virus total says no viruses. Must be the fact that the program is more or less illegal. Well at least it seems like it worked this time. It seems it only likes to extract the content of one folder and not all the subfolders
My guess is that Windows considered it as a threat because it's an unsigned executable downloaded from the web. But as you've written, VirusTotal (for instance) finds no threats. BTW, it's not and "illegal" program: nothing potentially dangerous inside the code (just reading and writing some files), and nothing that could be considered as not authorized (i.e. law issues).

If you want, I can provide you the source code (it's very basic as I've coded it very quickly) in order you build your own executable. But it's written with Free Pascal/Lazarus (see: ), so you must use it to compile my tool. Let me know if you wish to get the sources...

And yes, it processes only the requested folder, not its sub-folders.

Last edited:

VoidExile

Oct 1, 2018
My guess is that Windows considered it as a threat because it's an unsigned executable downloaded from the web. But as you've written, VirusTotal (for instance) finds no threats. BTW, it's not and illegal program: nothing potentially dangerous inside the code (just read and write some files), and nothing that could be considered as not authorized (i.e. law issues).

If you want, I can provide you the source code in order you build your own executable. But it's written with Free Pascal/Lazarus (see: ), so you must use it to compile my tool. Let me know if you wish to get the sources...

And yes, it processes only the requested folder, not its sub-folders.
Nah i'm good. It does seem that Sodom r with this extractor gave out only png files. Whether this is intended to happened by the tool or by the files i do not know. It's time consuming but i would have to put the files into a gif maker to get the moving image effect.

I suppose you don't happened to know an easy way of extracting "file, win ress, assets file, resource file" extension types right? From what i can tell, those don't seem to have an easy to find extractor and requires extra steps or may even have extra protection to keep them secure.

pcnop

Jun 26, 2018
Nah i'm good. It does seem that Sodom r with this extractor gave out only png files. Whether this is intended to happened by the tool or by the files i do not know. It's time consuming but i would have to put the files into a gif maker to get the moving image effect.

I suppose you don't happened to know an easy way of extracting "file, win ress, assets file, resource file" extension types right? From what i can tell, those don't seem to have an easy to find extractor and requires extra steps or may even have extra protection to keep them secure.

The TAD files that you are talking of contain only PNG files indeed (I've had a quick look when making some tests with my tool): the animation is apparently done by the game program itself.

Sorry, I'm not sure to have completely understood the second part of your post.

What kind of files are you talking exactly ?

For instance "assets file" are used by Unity games and you must use a specific tool to extract the data (pictures, sounds, ...) inside them.

Windows resources are data embedded into executables or dlls and can be eventually extracted by using some other tools.

Most of the game engines stored their data in a different way: RGP Maker, Renpy, Unity, Wolf RGP ...

So, what are you looking for exactly ?

VoidExile

Oct 1, 2018

The TAD files that you are talking of contain only PNG files indeed (I've had a quick look when making some tests with my tool): the animation is apparently done by the game program itself.

Sorry, I'm not sure to have completely understood the second part of your post.

What kind of files are you talking exactly ?

For instance "assets file" are used by Unity games and you must use a specific tool to extract the data (pictures, sounds, ...) inside them.

Windows resources are data embedded into executables or dlls and can be eventually extracted by using some other tools.

Most of the game engines stored their data in a different way: RGP Maker, Renpy, Unity, Wolf RGP ...

So, what are you looking for exactly ?
When looking down the "type" category you see things like file folder, png, jpg etc. In that same type category, i have "file" "win" "ress" "assets file" "resource file" and more. I think there is even a "data" file. (i noticed i didn't put a coma between win and ress, earlier. My bad)
I could send you some files, either the main files i want extracted or the smallest files for experimental purposes that have the same "type". Believe type is also referred to as extension.
edit: Found a tool here that can extract images from the unity files such as asset or such. Not sure if it can extract animations tho

Last edited:

pcnop

Jun 26, 2018
When looking down the "type" category you see things like file folder, png, jpg etc. In that same type category, i have "file" "win" "ress" "assets file" "resource file" and more. I think there is even a "data" file. (i noticed i didn't put a coma between win and ress, earlier. My bad)
I could send you some files, either the main files i want extracted or the smallest files for experimental purposes that have the same "type". Believe type is also referred to as extension.
edit: Found a tool here that can extract images from the unity files such as asset or such. Not sure if it can extract animations tho
Indeed.

Like I've written before, you must know what kind of game archive file you want to extract, in order to find the right tool for doing this: and assets files are used by Unity games, that's true.

If you wish you can post the kind of files you want to extract (may be in another place to not "pollute" this topic): I'll try to see what kind of game archive file it is, and which tool are needed for them (if available).

VoidExile

Oct 1, 2018
Indeed.

Like I've written before, you must know what kind of game archive file you want to extract, in order to find the right tool for doing this: and assets files are used by Unity games, that's true.
So far, it seems the tool isn't flawless. A lot of hentai games uploaded here that seem to contain the files the extractor should interact with get refused straight away, at the point of which i chosen plugin or doesn't give all the files. This one file acted particularly weird. Had to unpack it using the extractor, then try to extract from the unpacked files which gave an error. I will upload a file here eventually. Can always get rid of it later to not keep the topic "polluted" for too long

pcnop

Jun 26, 2018
Not sure if i figured it out but rvdata2 extracting?
Rvdata2 files are resource files (or save files) for RPGM Maker VX Ace.

Technically, there are (eventually with compressed strings) marshaled Ruby files.

But there are no files inside them (i.e. no pictures, sounds or so on): unlike their corresponding rgss3a files. They contain only some internal data for the game: events, maps, scripts, saves ...

There are a few existing tools to edit the corresponding save files. I'm not sure there are some tools able to process the other kinds of file ... Except for RPG Maker VX Ace, of course.

For my own, there is for instance this tool of mine which displays the events codes in a comprehensible form for some of these files: https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-events-v1-01.110413/

VoidExile

Oct 1, 2018
Any idea how to replace an ogg soundfile within a "sharedassets2.assets.resS .RESS File extension" file? Tools i used says it can't be read or whatever.
Actually, right now I need to know how to recreate a "sharedassets2.assets.resS .RESS File extension" after successful extraction. at the very least view and important one file

Last edited:

pcnop

Jun 26, 2018
Any idea how to replace an ogg soundfile within a "sharedassets2.assets.resS .RESS File extension" file? Tools i used says it can't be read or whatever.
Actually, right now I need to know how to recreate a "sharedassets2.assets.resS .RESS File extension" after successful extraction. at the very least view and important one file
Sorry, no.