• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

switched to renpy 7.7 and now .ogv not found

swimsoot

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2020
Super quick question:
I switched to RenPy 7.7.1 mid-build and had to switch editors from Atom to VsCode
All is working fine, except...
The game can no longer find any of my .ogv movie files (they're all pretty short, but I use them for in backgrounds)
Does 7.7.1 not recognize .ogv anymore?
It won't find them even when I switch back to Atom.
Any thoughts?
THANKS!

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Super quick question:
I switched to RenPy 7.7.1 mid-build and had to switch editors from Atom to VsCode
All is working fine, except...
The game can no longer find any of my .ogv movie files (they're all pretty short, but I use them for in backgrounds)
Does 7.7.1 not recognize .ogv anymore?
It won't find them even when I switch back to Atom.
Any thoughts?
THANKS!
Another case of Do not update your game engine mid-development.
Documentation doesn't have OGV unless I am blind, which is also possible:

swimsoot

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2020
Documentation doesn't have OGV unless I am blind, which is also possible:
Eek. Poor choice. Perhaps I can get them to work by converting to a listed file format. Suggestions for a favorite that will keep file size low? Thanks so much!!!

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Eek. Poor choice. Perhaps I can get them to work by converting to a listed file format. Suggestions for a favorite that will keep file size low? Thanks so much!!!
WeBM

-Edit-
AV1 is lightest, VP9 is most likely what you want to use on Ren'Py. I personally suggest VP8 due to compatibility issues, but that was years ago, so things may have changed.

• Red Heart
Reactions: swimsoot

swimsoot

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2020
Hmmm... and ugh. I tried VP9(.webm) and VP8(.webm) as well as Av1 it's not finding any of them. I even tried putting files in different folders within Images. Switched back to Atom, no luck. The rest of the game seems to work fine. Do I need some kind of MOVIES folder? Apologies for repeated pestering.

Richard Fappington

Donor
Jul 30, 2018
Have you tried defining them?

Example:
Code:
image introanim = Movie(play="images/intro/anim/introanim.webm", loop = False, start_image="images/intro/intro13.webp", image="images/intro/intro14.webp")
scene introanim

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Hmmm... and ugh. I tried VP9(.webm) and VP8(.webm) as well as Av1 it's not finding any of them. I even tried putting files in different folders within Images. Switched back to Atom, no luck. The rest of the game seems to work fine. Do I need some kind of MOVIES folder? Apologies for repeated pestering.
how exactly do you try to show these ogv movies? show one example, exactly as it is in your code

i think there was a change in some renpy version where you have to give a more complete filepath where previously you could rely on renpy finding the asset. could be the case here

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
It was my advice :cry: He needed to use something that appeared in a version more recent than the one he used at that time.

There's been change in the audio part, but no reason for PyTom to drop an open source format because of this. The issue don't really make sense ; not even as a version bug, it should touch all formats and therefore would have been caught already.