VN - Others - Completed - Swan Song [Final] [FlyingShine]

1. 5.00 star(s)

K_Nakamura

Objectively, one of the best VN ever.
    Very mature, dark and depressing. Is recommended for anyone who is in the mood for such dark and uncompromising story. If your life is in sh*t this can really drag you out and also it could make you cry, if you're ready for it.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

pacefrei

An excellent Christmas themed visual novel that will leave you with all the feels. Highly recommend this if you are into festive stories about surviving in a winter wonderland.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Eleum Loyce

This has to be the most depressing VN I've ever read. Turn back and do not touch this game if you're looking for any kind of uplifting experience.

There are a lot of stories out there that can be heart wrenching, infuriating, and disgusting, but this one really goes the extra mile to make you feel terrible. There aren't any happy endings, and it seems even the more lighthearted and bittersweet moments are only there to make the bad ends and eventual outcomes that much more painful. That sounds pretty melodramatic but it's accurate. Even the "true" ending with an epilogue and rolling credits will probably leave you with a bad feeling in the pit of your stomach. Most of the alternate "dead" ends are even worse.

The writing isn't perfect, but the story is pieced together very well and the characters are developed in a way that lets you like, relate to, and hate them simultaneously. There are a lot of very tense and exciting moments and twists to go along with them. The artwork is great and there are a good amount of sex scenes (unfortunately censored) but you really have to enjoy darker fetishes if you want to fap to this. Either that, or you have to disengage yourself from the plot and the fucked up situations these characters find themselves in -- which is doing a disservice to what is an extremely bleak but ultimately well-told story. It starts out pretty tame but the descent into madness becomes more and more apparent. If you've read any of the countless gore-ridden or NTR infested visual novels out there, you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about, but like I said before: this one seems to go the extra mile.

The thing is, it's not just a self-indulging, masturbatory story that seems to be there just to shock you. It's filled with dialogues and situations that make you think on a deep level about a lot of things. Everything from how people (normal and disabled) work on a psychological level, to how societies function in regard to militaristic, religious, and interpersonal situations. Most of all: what can happen if things start collapsing around us.

There's some potential trauma waiting here if you're prone to getting invested in stories or have ever dealt with depression and toxic relationships, but I still love it because not many VNs are able to express emotion like this, even if that emotion is negative and showing the darker sides of our thought processes.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

SupahPanda

While I personally don't like playing as multiple characters, this VN does a great job of making your decisions important and building an amazing world. All of the characters are fleshed out nicely, and I feel that human nature is very well depicted.