a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Respected User
Donor
Aug 8, 2017
art isnt the bottleneck though most times its done pretty quick
Art is done by hand and is the bottleneck because the coding and posing can not be done until the art gets done, then you have sound to be put in when the posing is done which ties into the coding.

Progress for v0.14.5 - Total Tasks: 79 Completed: 74.68% InProgress: 12.66% Remaining: 12.66%

10% in one day was a great day in coding.

Reactions: SengalBoi

D2K

Donor
Aug 18, 2016
art is most definitely the bottleneck i wish he could find someone to do all the background art. i've been a patreon of darkcookie's for quite a while and honestly, i do feel like the progress has slowed a lot. obviously the more material the longer it takes and that's more than fair. but i feel a lot of the times, because not everything is planned out well enough or considers the future, he ends up redoing certain locations to add more doors or stairs or stores, and he ends doing a lot of locations that get added but have zero application at the moment (most of aunt's house, backyard, *treehouse(but it's probably going to have stuff this update), donald trump's house(maybe updates?), *cinemas(until this update) , etc. for a major update it's been a while. i get that the halloween update was an "update" but throwing in a scene with roz and a monstergirl that will not have any real effect on the story is kind of a throwaway as an update. as a patreon i actually have not even played 14.3 because i know none of the materials will interest me; i'll lump it up with what's in 14.5. that being said, the distance between 14.0 and 14.5 is quite long.

obibobi

May 10, 2017
in a word NO.. constructive criticism isnt always good if it comes from people just whining about how long something takes. not every complaint is that though, but we all know that people will flat out bitch just to bitch

i see your point but i disagree, complaints about delays on a free game are unfounded and misplaced.. if you had read my post youd notice i said those who have contributed had a right to complain, i also make mention that those who dont contribute and lets face facts more dont then do, their complaining, was unfounded as its a free game

my .02
You do not know what constructive criticism is. You are doing something very similar to what you are complaining about. Whining is not constructive criticism. Saying the game doesn't update fast enough is not constructive I agree, but if someone was to give a decent example on how they could change that then that would be constructive, donor or not. That comment about other games updating faster is still being repeated and yet no examples are given.

If you do donate then the creator does not need to care about your criticism but it does not mean the person cannot criticize. I just want more people putting some actual thought about what they say about the game.

Trapezio

Engaged Member
Sep 28, 2017
People are complaining because they fear that the game will never be finished.

Just play the game, finish all of its available content and...

check Main Character's main goals:

1. investigate dad's death;
2. find a date for prom night;
3. save money for college;

and now have a look at the to-do-list in the MC's locker:

- Mia
- Judith
- Roxxy
- Eve
- Annie
- Rhonda
- June
- Kevin (!!!!)

So much content still to be done. We have a long long long road ahead of us: 1 year and a half passed... and the Author just started talking about a new project...

punisher696

Jul 3, 2017
Is there a way of removing items from my rucksack ? I missed out clicking on the item given to me by Roz and now the event in the grave yard won't activate and I can't see the item Roz gave me in my Rucksack because I have all the boxes full with other stuff

rle68

May 28, 2017
You do not know what constructive criticism is...Really?

when most complaints are about enough content or takes too long to update there is nothing constructive about that.. and it directly corresponds to what type of person it is.. donor vs non donor.. then of course the other complaint i see alot of is this doesnt affect my interests so ill sit and wait.. thats not constructive either,, especially so as DC actively seeks opinions in his live sessions, if you want your voice heard then participate on his sites.. i doubt he reads much here to be honest

i see what DC is doing by adding the other characters in town .. you get to see the end product possibilities before it gets completely flushed out.. they may not be playable yet but if the town was empty except for what you can interact with no one would want to play they would say there is no content.. a catch 22

again the updates have continued to come new content is being added and yet people still bitch .. if you think about it as the game gets bigger the content will exponentially take longer as A affects B as affects C and so on.. each update will take a bit more time

obibobi

May 10, 2017
You do not know what constructive criticism is...Really?
Yes, you said constructive criticism was not always valid and your example was a complaint, not constructive criticism.

For future reference constructive criticism is criticism that exists to try and resolve an issue.

Telling an actor that they are too quiet is constructive

Telling an actor they suck is not constructive.

rle68

May 28, 2017
Yes, you said constructive criticism was not always valid and your example was a complaint, not constructive criticism.

For future reference constructive criticism is criticism that exists to try and resolve an issue.

Telling an actor that they are too quiet is constructive

Telling an actor they suck is not constructive.
and people bitching about updates are not constructive either..

NotaBullRobo

Nov 24, 2017
Most of them to be honest. Usually devs try to squeeze in at least one update per month to keep their patreons who pay every month happy. DC usually needs 6 to 8 weeks per update.

In his case he's providing almost daily streams though and lets viewers decide a lot of small things which is something at least I value a lot and that's something I like to spend some money on.
I mean, most other games use 3D art instead, which has backgrounds done already and only require you do some new poses. Drawing-wise he's actually reasonably fast, although he spends a lot of time on backgrounds. Regardless, he still has an extra step most other developers don't deal with.

yolo213

Jun 5, 2017
Hello, I am a donor and this game is never getting finished as things are going.

Art isn't the bottleneck, posers can do their job right after art is done, they don't need to wait for huge package of art for an update, that's some heavy bullshit right there, and they do their job as art is getting finished it's just that they are slow as they are not working full time on game(I mean, sure art is bottleneck but in this case art is always finished relatively fast and usually we are waiting 2-3 weeks for posers and coder to be done, so yeah)

DC saying that art is a bottleneck is a halftruth.

On the other hand coder is incapable of working with placeholders apparently and mainly due to the base code being shit(?) and perturbations in the beginning related to previous coder.

This is all very saddening, I just hope they will make Roxxie and Eve and then I won't expect this patreon to be a decent, responsible one, as it is patreon in the end we talk about. It wouldn't be the first time when creator starts a game and then just dumps it aye. The another sad fact is that community is so enthralled by the game that they legitemately think DC will be working on this game forever. Perhaps one day they will let go off their dicks and sober up.

I mean, DC isn't Toady and SummertimeSaga certainly isn't Dwarf Fortress(reference for cool kids)

Last edited:
Reactions: parachina and Fed

xןʞ

I trolled so N7 could soar.
Staff member
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
I mean obviously it probably never is gonna be done at a true 1.00 level(same with The Twist) just becasue right now both are at .14 and .16 respectively, and they both have quite a bit of content for those levels obviously.

..But if things were to progress at the development rate they are both going it will be a good 3 or 4 years minimum to get full 1.00, and obviously no independent adult game dev is gonna keep on one project for that long without either getting bored, some real life issue happening, or just running out of things to add or some other sort of thing stopping progress.

So yeah...just enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts I guess.

rle68

May 28, 2017
well i sure as fuck hope someone offers me 20k a month to draw nudes ... i think id be quite happy with that so saying hes getting bored.. well not sure i can agree there

Obuttma

Oct 9, 2017
Is there a way of removing items from my rucksack ? I missed out clicking on the item given to me by Roz and now the event in the grave yard won't activate and I can't see the item Roz gave me in my Rucksack because I have all the boxes full with other stuff
Im pretty sure you can scroll down the item menu if its not visible in its initial level.

MurkyTurtle

Jul 28, 2017
People are complaining because they fear that the game will never be finished.

Just play the game, finish all of its available content and...

check Main Character's main goals:

1. investigate dad's death;
2. find a date for prom night;
3. save money for college;

and now have a look at the to-do-list in the MC's locker:

- Mia
- Judith
- Roxxy
- Eve
- Annie
- Rhonda
- June
- Kevin (!!!!)

So much content still to be done. We have a long long long road ahead of us: 1 year and a half passed... and the Author just started talking about a new project...
Part of this is because DC keeps asking his patrons for input on new updates, who inevitably vote with their dicks and choose to add yet another route with another girl rather than doing anything on the main plot. And they don't just want a route, they want multiple H-scenes with multiple angles in multiple locations with 12-frame animations, and by God they want it in a month or there'll be hell to pay. I'm amazed DC can even find the time to sleep anymore with all the smut that's demanded of him.

Reactions: Fed and ta1842

Huggerator

Nov 28, 2017
Part of this is because DC keeps asking his patrons for input on new updates, who inevitably vote with their dicks and choose to add yet another route with another girl rather than doing anything on the main plot. And they don't just want a route, they want multiple H-scenes with multiple angles in multiple locations with 12-frame animations, and by God they want it in a month or there'll be hell to pay. I'm amazed DC can even find the time to sleep anymore with all the smut that's demanded of him.
With how much he makes he better deliver.

Pravitas

Game Developer
Aug 13, 2016
Art is done by hand and is the bottleneck because the coding and posing can not be done until the art gets done, then you have sound to be put in when the posing is done which ties into the coding.

Progress for v0.14.5 - Total Tasks: 79 Completed: 74.68% InProgress: 12.66% Remaining: 12.66%

10% in one day was a great day in coding.
95% of all coding can be done without the Art and Posing, you can base it off sketches. Unless Cookie has literally no idea what he wants before he draws it, he will have rough sketches for what he is about to draw. Thus you can make a rough Code that only needs small replacements afterwards. It definitely doesn't affect the rest of the code, because each scene is separated from the rest of the code. At least that is how it works in Ren'Py.

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
but most importantly constructive criticism is always valid.
Only the developer is really able to determine what criticism is actually constructive to their project, all anyone else can do is state an opinion on whether or not it is.

Fed

May 14, 2017
Are the patreon changes going to affect this game? As in will he have to take out the incest angle?

4.20 star(s) 341 Votes