VN Ren'Py Strangers on Paper [Development Thread]

phonexy

Dec 29, 2022
We've come to hate dates because every time we can't meet one it's... quite defeating. Now, in a perfect world, we'd be sending it out to beta testers in February and releasing it publicly by the second half of that month. Hopefully!
Awesome, looking forward to!

• Red Heart
Reactions: gloomyghost

gloomyghost

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2022
This week we thought we could treat you all with a little preview video of the menu... and then got a little carried away :)

We're still working on polishing some details but HELL is it rewarding to see it all come together like this. Bare in mind this is not the final version!

Last edited:

The Senior Perv

May 4, 2022
"iS tHiS hArEm?" "iNcEsT wItH mOm?" "nTr"?

Jokes aside, this AVN does look interesting. Hope you can develop everything you want in the game, like that third LI. Best of luck to both of you and hope this is the first of much other AVNs created from you.

gloomyghost

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2022
Here’s a little update of where things are at!

development_sot2.png
  • Writing: That 5% of progress involved mostly editing, playing through some scenes and tweaking some lines… and the remaining 5% pretty much entails more of the same. It’s actually been less daunting than the initial writing overall but as more scenes get rendered, there’s less things that I can edit and the current challenge lies in working my way around them.
  • Art: I’m happy with the pace things are moving forward with. I’ve been taking it easier and while rendering I was able to work on some coding and UI such as the main menu, naming saves, and other things that will overall improve the player’s experience.
  • We’re also happy to have found a music style we want to go with and to be working with an artist to have an original theme at least for the main menu.
Wishing you all a great weekend!

gloomyghost

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2022
devlog8.png
Hey all, hope you're having a fantastic weekend. A few bumps have interrupted our production in the last few weeks, some of them were welcome, some were heartbreaking, but nonetheless we're pretty much where we were expecting to be by now. My own "interruptions" have mostly resulted in "you will be editing chapters on a bus at 3am instead of in the comfort of your home" or "you will be writing drunken rants that cannot stand as devlogs so you better keep those to yourself" so... it's not the end of the world. More like an inconvenient pandemic that may cause some delays or force us to readjust without actually exterminating the human race - wait, that sounds familiar.

Anyway, we’re a few scenes away from completing the first chapter. We’re really happy with the quality of the renders, possibly reaching over 600 for this part. I feel like we’ve managed to create a decently consistent aesthetic throughout the renders and UI which is more challenging than it sounds. We're also thrilled to announce we have our first original instrumental song that we will be including in the main menu and that I've been listening to on repeat as I edit because it just has the perfect mood.

Whenever we feel burnt out, we've been brainstorming little ideas we'd like to implement to make the game experience better, while making it feel not that game-y. By this I mean that at the moment we're not interested in including anything resembling a minigame or stats, for example. But eventually we would like to have extra scenes to unlock, different ways to interact with MC's journal, perhaps some moody animations to wrap up chapters... If there are any other 'extra' little things you particularly enjoy, both Grogu and Gizmo have ears that are way too large for their tiny heads. That was a very awkward way to say, yeah, we'd be interested in hearing what you'd like to see.

I also keep getting distracted by the many ideas for spin offs I’m having while reminding myself we have not even released a chapter. Actually, Baby Yoda is the one who reminds me of that but oh well, that may only be true for a few more weeks which is maddeningly exciting.

That's it for now, enjoy your weekend and make sure to take a minute to show your appreciation to those you care for.

PS: We’ve also got some emojis and stickers on our now, so that means we’re officially a thing, right? Aaand we’ve set up that questions thingy that makes Grogu feel like he did something really cool so feel free to use it if there’s anything you’d like to ask us!

e5_1.98.1.png

e5_1.95.1.png
e5_1.96.1.png

gloomyghost

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2022
This week we're feeling EXTRA generous!

1680019554667.png
We will be posting double the content on our Patreon page, with half of it available for the general public (our patrons of course still get their exclusive rewards, this is just a little somethinge extra)

We hope you enjoy it and keep an eye out for some treats, starting with a little behind the scenes:

Mar 16, 2023
I've got to say - your renders are some of the best I've seen. Definite hoping to just come close to your level of quality once I begin the art process for my future game!

Do you have any recommended resources for someone looking to jump into Daz and attempt to replicate your quality of renders?

Excited to play through your first release!

gloomyghost

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2022
I've got to say - your renders are some of the best I've seen. Definite hoping to just come close to your level of quality once I begin the art process for my future game!

Do you have any recommended resources for someone looking to jump into Daz and attempt to replicate your quality of renders?

Excited to play through your first release!
Hi there, thank you so much for your words! By resources, do you mean Youtube/Tutorials? If so, I spent quite some time on the DAZ forums reading, and if you're starting out I recommend you to check the DAZ . Also, take some time to understand how to light a scene (starting with the three point lighting system).

I'd recommend just testing and trying until you're happy with the results. I hope that was helpful and I wish you best of luck in your journey!

gloomyghost

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2022
Hi all! Here's a little something we wrote about what inspires us when working on our AVN - probably because we wanted to nerd out about the things we love:

gloomyghost

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2022
For those of you who are avid DevLog readers, you’d better get your reading glasses ready because I may have gotten a bit carried away on this one. Another long ramble, this time it's a bit like a window into my brain as a writer. Take in the view or close it to keep the smoke out. I don't know what I'm saying anymore, I spent way too long working on this so yeah. Enjoy...?
si.png

gloomyghost

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2022
devlog11.jpg

This is our last log in April, which means next month SOP comes out which means... wait, what?!

Since the last few logs have been pretty text-heavy, we figured this one could be just render-heavy to give your eyes some well-deserved rest. As we reach the finish line, we're trying our best to make sure everything is just as we want it to be - this means me editing and re-editing stuff, and Grogu reworking entire scenes but hey, they do end up looking and sounding better after the extra attention.

That being said, we just want to use this space to write the biggest THANK YOU this font can handle to those of you who have been supporting us these last few months, or who have just joined here and thought "hey, these guys seem cool". We really are devoting a lot of time, effort and LOVE to this project, so getting so much love back already feels incredibly rewarding.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Untitled_1.3.1.jpg
Untitled_1.7.1.jpg
Untitled_1.10.1.jpg
Untitled_1.6.1.jpg
Untitled_1.8.1.jpg
Untitled_1.9.1.jpg
Untitled_1.12.1.jpg

Grotslot

Game Developer
Apr 21, 2022
I love the sound of this silence - it means something big and exciting will be happening soon :)

What you guys have done with the visuals is truly amazing, you'll be well on your way to the big leagues before you know it. Can't wait to get stuck in!

If you guys ever feel up to a collaboration in the future once you've tied up SOP, you let me know Strangers-On-Paper-Grotslot.jpg

• Red Heart
Reactions: gloomyghost