• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Recommending Story-first games

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017
Fallen seems less like film noir and more like Pulp Fiction to me. The incest seems very on topic, because of the deliberate trashiness of the characters. It's a different context to the typical landlady games, where incest is used in a bizarr way to sanitize the LIs.
It's fascinating how fetishizing incest seems to put it into a virtuous light for a lot of people (at least on f95zone). Like we're supposed to think the hero power fantasy is very cool for keeping it in the family. This stuff is a better fit for parodies imo. Fallen is bringing the taboo back, which is a lot more "normal" funnily enough. At least it takes incest for what it is and leaves the fucked up shit to the fucked up anti-heroes.

jufot

May 15, 2021
Self-reminder to fully encrypt all scripts so jufot can't play my games with them open for fear of being silently judged for my coding skills.
Cute of you to assume I haven't been doing that already ;)

Fallen seems less like film noir and more like Pulp Fiction to me. [...] Fallen is bringing the taboo back, which is a lot more "normal" funnily enough.
Huh, that's a very interesting take. It definitely has the potential for it.

Dathos

Jan 25, 2019
I wanted to like Pecker PI, but the white text with no textbox is *so* hard to read that I couldn't continue. Sadly, there are a lot of otherwise good games that choose to not have a textbox background, making them unplayable for me. My eyes are ... not great, so I really need the contrast to be able to follow the story.

From what I *could* see of it, it looks interesting, but it just won't be one I follow at this time.

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
I wanted to like Pecker PI, but the white text with no textbox is *so* hard to read that I couldn't continue. Sadly, there are a lot of otherwise good games that choose to not have a textbox background, making them unplayable for me. My eyes are ... not great, so I really need the contrast to be able to follow the story.

From what I *could* see of it, it looks interesting, but it just won't be one I follow at this time.
Since the dev checks this thread, I'm just going to leave a little something here (Which any other dev can feel free to utilize)

First: in the say screen (screens.rpy by default -and if you want to replace the textbox, use whatever image you'd like as the Frame() - also, I have 40,0 because I use a different textbox. You'd probably want 0,0 by default - and may need to adjust it depending on if you replace it or not )

Code:
screen say(who, what):
    style_prefix "say"

window:
        id "window"
        background Transform(Frame("gui/textbox.png",40,0), alpha=persistent.textBoxOp)
Then in your preferences screen (screen preferences(): by default) you add this somewhere (ignore the vbox and xysize bit - that's specific to me, so you might need it to be different depending on your screen setup - the bar value bit is the important part)

Code:
                vbox:
                    xysize(600,75)
                    label _("Text Box Opacity")
                    bar value FieldValue(persistent, "textBoxOp",range=1.0,style="bar")
And of course, define a persistent.textBoxOp somewhere in your script. By default I set mine to 0.0, if you want no textbox, I suggest doing the same.

The benefit to this is you can create the game without the textbox (Which I personally prefer, hence why I do it) but still allow an opacity slider for those with visibility issues to be able to have it there so they can read everything more easily.

Last edited:

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018

MrPocketRocket if you want to have black outlines around your white text, go to gui.rpy and add the following line:

define gui.dialogue_text_outlines = [(absolute(2), "#000", absolute(1), absolute(1))]

Tlaero

MrPocketRocket

Pecker PI
Game Developer
Apr 30, 2023

I'm going to add a box for next chapter. There is currently a mod which will give you a text box : Walkthrough+

Reactions: EndlessNights

MrPocketRocket

Pecker PI
Game Developer
Apr 30, 2023
Since the dev checks this thread, I'm just going to leave a little something here (Which any other dev can feel free to utilize)

First: in the say screen (screens.rpy by default -and if you want to replace the textbox, use whatever image you'd like as the Frame() - also, I have 40,0 because I use a different textbox. You'd probably want 0,0 by default - and may need to adjust it depending on if you replace it or not )

Code:
screen say(who, what):
    style_prefix "say"

window:
        id "window"
        background Transform(Frame("gui/textbox.png",40,0), alpha=persistent.textBoxOp)
Then in your preferences screen (screen preferences(): by default) you add this somewhere (ignore the vbox and xysize bit - that's specific to me, so you might need it to be different depending on your screen setup - the bar value bit is the important part)

Code:
                vbox:
                    xysize(600,75)
                    label _("Text Box Opacity")
                    bar value FieldValue(persistent, "textBoxOp",range=1.0,style="bar")
And of course, define a persistent.textBoxOp somewhere in your script. By default I set mine to 0.0, if you want no textbox, I suggest doing the same.

The benefit to this is you can create the game without the textbox (Which I personally prefer, hence why I do it) but still allow an opacity slider for those with visibility issues to be able to have it there so they can read everything more easily.
That's awesome! Thank you!

raynarnab

Dec 16, 2021
Anyone see the consent changes in the terms & conditions for Pateron. I wonder if it will impact what story telling mechanisms authors can take. I do not care so much for sleep sex, but rather certain topics where consent not given willingly as part of the story would now need to be avoided.

jufot

May 15, 2021
Anyone see the consent changes in the terms & conditions for Pateron. I wonder if it will impact what story telling mechanisms authors can take. I do not care so much for sleep sex, but rather certain topics where consent not given willingly as part of the story would now need to be avoided.
This is just legal arse covering by Patreon, likely demanded by payment processors. Patreon itself doesn't care. I've reported devs creating underage rape stuff - they didn't care, saying none of the Patreon posts linked directly to it. I don't bother anymore.

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
I'm truly sorry for devs creating actual BDSM fictional content, as this ban on 'consensual non-consent' works might throw them under the bus. Sometimes, the roleplay includes that act of 'not consenting' even though everything is consensual. Other than that, I very much welcome this clarification on what's allowed and what's not, if it really comes with proper enforcement (which I doubt, seeing Jufot's experience). Let's be honest, the rules have been there for ages and most devs are perfectly aware that they were exploiting the system, as their works were obviously breaching the old ToS. Now they don't have any justification to whine about being unfairly targeted and deplatformed.

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
I'm truly sorry for devs creating actual BDSM fictional content, as this ban on 'consensual non-consent' works might throw them under the bus. Sometimes, the roleplay includes that act of 'not consenting' even though everything is consensual. Other than that, I very much welcome this clarification on what's allowed and what's not, if it really comes with proper enforcement (which I doubt, seeing Jufot's experience). Let's be honest, the rules have been there for ages and most devs are perfectly aware that they were exploiting the system, as their works were obviously breaching the old ToS. Now they don't have any justification to whine about being unfairly targeted and deplatformed.
The changes to the consent wording may represent a change in policy, or it may just represent a re-wording for clarity, and it's still unclear. Most of the rest of the "changes" weren't actual changes, just clarification - but if you think for a second devs will stop crying about being "unfairly targeted and banned from patreon" boy do I have a bridge to sell you.

Garou24

Game Developer
Nov 17, 2021
It will be interesting to see where Pateron draws the line on this. The upcoming release for my game has an attempted rape scene, a woman is pushed to the ground as a man grabs at her clothing. This is stopped by the introduction of a character in the story. Such an act is part of her background as she physically bears the scars of a similar attack from her past. It's very possible the attempt will fall under the sexual harassment or consent sections of Pateron even though I am not trying to glamorize it or actually have the scene play out.

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
It will be interesting to see where Pateron draws the line on this. The upcoming release for my game has an attempted rape scene, a woman is pushed to the ground as a man grabs at her clothing. This is stopped by the introduction of a character in the story. Such an act is part of her background as she physically bears the scars of a similar attack from her past. It's very possible the attempt will fall under the sexual harassment or consent sections of Pateron even though I am not trying to glamorize it or actually have the scene play out.
If it's basically a threat, a rape attempt that's quickly dismantled (and somehow punished) before it gets anywhere near sexualizing it, it shouldn't be a problem. The way I see it, it's the fetishization of that situation, the explicit display of a non-consensual encounter, that would get you banned. But... yeah, we'll see.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
If anything, these new rules may hit FMC games the hardest. Beyond mind control games, obviously.

Because in most, if not almost all FMC games, the FMC getting blackmailed and non-consensually groped is basically the entire story. Also many MMC corruption games.

BDSM is a tough spot too. I suppose you can establish consent pre-scene and re-establish it post-scene, but the actual BDSM segments need to be reasonably sanitized just to be sure.

I hope games like Harem Hotel and A Mothers Love aren't hurt by this.

Harem Hotel, technically, has slavery. But the entire plot of the game is based around ending that slavery.

A Mothers Love, technically, has blackmail. But the plot of the game is based around that blackmail turning into a romance.

Overall, any sane developer needs to have a SubscribeStar account and try to push fans there. Patreon continually tightening the screws is going to become untenable for anything beyond vanilla romance eventually.

Reactions: HunterSeeker

camube

Jun 4, 2022
Pale Carnations new update is coming out soon.

I've been waiting for this update for years.

Btw, what's a "well-known member", is that cuz we posts too much or cuz of the number of likes we got?

cuz if it's because we posts too much, i need to scale back on posting other than in story-first games thread, lol

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: EndlessNights
5.00 star(s) 8 Votes