Started making a game a few months ago ..

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Going back to your original question about "when to release" one way to do it is to ask specifically if anyone will be an "alpha tester" and give you feedback. in that case you don't need to post a public link, just send one to the volunteers. Of course as soon as it is out of your control then maybe it will leak, but who cares... that's the eventual intention anyway, and the feedback you might get is waaaay more valuable than hiding your work.

I've done alpha version tests for several devs and it's been an interesting experience. A couple of these have turned into my "editor" projects which in general I have thoroughly enjoyed.

However, there have also been downsides: some creators *reallllly* don't like to hear constructive but negative feedback. It's one thing to have a "vision for your work of art" and another to be argumentative (or even borderline delusional) and outright reject feedback - even if it is as basic as "your plot has a massive contradiction". Ugh, sorry, rant over. Back onto the topic...

Yeah, so one early post suggested putting up your own dev thread to introduce your game cpncept, characters, some artwork, and keep interested people updated. You'll (hopefully) get some individuals with fetish interests aligned with your game genre tags who bascially self-select themselves as potential alpha testers. You've already seen how this thread has delivered some good, actionable constructive feedback...

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: blapper21 and GNVE

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
However, there have also been downsides: some creators *reallllly* don't like to hear constructive but negative feedback. It's one thing to have a "vision for your work of art" and another to be argumentative (or even borderline delusional) and outright reject feedback - even if it is as basic as "your plot has a massive contradiction". Ugh, sorry, rant over. Back onto the topic...
Reminds of the IT Crowd in season 4, episode 3 where Roy tell Jen that they only want to hear how great they are and not how it is actually. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: blapper21 and GNVE

blapper21

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2021
Going back to your original question about "when to release" one way to do it is to ask specifically if anyone will be an "alpha tester" and give you feedback. in that case you don't need to post a public link, just send one to the volunteers. Of course as soon as it is out of your control then maybe it will leak, but who cares... that's the eventual intention anyway, and the feedback you might get is waaaay more valuable than hiding your work.

I've done alpha version tests for several devs and it's been an interesting experience. A couple of these have turned into my "editor" projects which in general I have thoroughly enjoyed.

Yeah, so one early post suggested putting up your own dev thread to introduce your game cpncept, characters, some artwork, and keep interested people updated. You'll (hopefully) get some individuals with fetish interests aligned with your game genre tags who bascially self-select themselves as potential alpha testers. You've already seen how this thread has delivered some good, actionable constructive feedback...

Good luck!
Thanks, I might try that soon. Sorry for the shit reply, I've been really busy. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I will try to take it all on board.

Reactions: osanaiko

blapper21

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2021
Ive updated the first post. I have been working on this for a while now, on and off. I think there is about 20 to 30 mins worth of gameplay and mainly just needs a bit of tidying up.