• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.
4.30 star(s) 39 Votes

yv0751

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
This style of art 3d has name?
The characters are just stylized cartoon characters of pretty usual proportions (1:6), like the classic Disney Cartoon female characters (Aladdin's Jasmine, Snowhite or - non-Disney- Elfquest)
The figures are based on DAZ "Toon Princess" figure.

The ship etc is also basic stylized Sci-Fi assets I mostly made in Blender myself with mid to low poly count to get the stylized look.

yv0751

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
Just one question for you : Why not keep going with this one? getting bored of it? there is so much more to add to this game, its gold !!
The game has become quite voluminous, I'll probably end up at 1.6 Gig when its done.
When thinking about how long to continue it I always think of Voyager. It had dragged on too long and had too many fillers in season 7. If you end something and players are longing for more it was probably the correct timing. :)

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I like GOG better, but I get that Steam gets more traffic. GOG also does adult games now!

Maybe you could release SJx on both platforms? Not sure if that's allowed...

Jan 14, 2023
  • The Episodes post 1.40 would connect to the open-ended play decision
  • V1.40 would be a candidate for a Steam Release in a polished version, though I'd need a least one month to jump all the Steam hoops, scrape through it, clean up assets (bought most DAZ I regularly use but probably overlooked a bunch), replace dodgy CC licensed audio, etc... Not sure wether thats worth the effort as Indie Game sales on Steam run out of Steam (pun intended) after the first few days and are buried by countless other games. I'd need at least 5k game sales to make it worth the effort in my view. Questionable.
Some tips:

1) Up the pr0n by at least 30%. Both your titles have extremely well done mechanics (making them actual games, rather than VNs or "just" your average RPGmaker effort); both lack pr0n payoff. You are, in fact, making stuff to wank to, so stop fucking around coyly pretending you're not.

1a) As stated before, the entire mini-game part of Shell trading / work is a waste of your time. LIs > RNG mechanics, always.

1b) As shown by numerous titles on these boards, churning out vignettes is just processing power, dedication and a bit of focus. DAZ isn't exactly hard to find templates for if you need some generic scenes with models you've already created.

2) Steam is a 30% revenue cut but a huge boost **if** you know how to work the algo. You want to smash into the *game* part of the experience (SF / management / 2D + 2.5D combat / strategy / Story / 18+) over the obvious pr0n elements. There's multiple titles you can look at for reference.

2a) Steam is always worth it if you already have a 1.0 gold product and are switched on enough to know which licenses to get and so on: if nothing else, it will garner you zero income for zero effort (it'll also provide a bit of sideways legal cover / tax write-offs, for reasons, but Yarrrr, this is a pirate board sooo). Otherwise, even being as negative / realistic as you are, it'll be a passive income stream that will buy you beers each month.

2b) Know your price point: $20 or $15 is your target here. When a sale hits within 3months, do a 20% then 40% at 6 months. People will impulse buy.

2c) Steam is preferrable to Gog for one simple reason: <-- this type of site isn't even a Repack / Torrent or Pirate site, it literally just yoinks GoG releases and hosts them for free. So... there's zero reason to ever host on Gog. Ever. You, as a Dev, will never get any revenue from it.

3) Indy games <-> Curators. Don't send free Steam keys to anyone, 90% of them are scammers reselling on Grey Markets. Just don't do it. If you need some interest, ping a few YouTubers who cover Indy titles exclusively, and send them a friendly Email and make it clear you're not blanket bombing the entirety of Steam with free keys. I can think of a couple who will groove with this (look up anyone who has covered a game called "Starsector" now as a lead).

3a) Reddit is annoying, but can be useful: try to post something honest / genuine + funny ("Heyy... Yeah, I know this is a pr0n game, but...") around a sale point and just point people towards it. If you get lucky / or are any good at this, the results can be quite good (one project I boosted sales by 15k in a weekend just piggy-backing off a really amusing cluster-fuck post on Reddit. That was years ago, but it helped the bottom line a lot).

3b) Don't underestimate the retro-appeal market. There's very very few games that scratch the itch that SPAZ did, and even fewer with the smut factor. (Yes, I know one mutli-million dollar smut game tried to). Yes, I know your combat is turn based; this game is fairly unique, so...

4) Way back in 1.10 or 1.20 the combat got ultra-overtuned in the later sectors. You might want to slap a difficulty choice into the game - just reduce the damage done in "Easy" by 35% ish, you'll be good. This will solve any issues players **will** have when hitting that difficulty spike. I mean, seriously: I've played many a strategy game on the highest difficulty and a couple of those later fights were sweaty.

~

Anyhow. Glad you're somewhat better, and good luck. But if in doubt: up the smut factor, you're off by a decent chunk where game mechanics aren't providing the payoff, both here and in prior title.

Also, I know you're mostly vanilla, but for a title focusing on BDSM... there's a dire need for some direct shame kink etc. Look up "public cum walk" for a hint.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023
I like GOG better, but I get that Steam gets more traffic. GOG also does adult games now!

Maybe you could release SJx on both platforms? Not sure if that's allowed...
Three points:

1) Abandonware sites have always been a thing in PC gaming (and for good reason): if you know, you know. If you don't know, it was called "Home of the Underdogs ".

1a) The current "business model" of buying up old IPs and then re-re-releasing them is full of outright fraudsters; there are exceptions, but my rule is: if I bought Game X at $60 twenty years ago, and still have like even a drop of the physical media, you ain't double-dipping me.

1b) Japan is fucking just wild on this, but different. It's 1000% insanity land (due to their IP laws). Oh, and never re-re-releasing old games, but hey.

2) GoG is basically designed to be a legal "abandonware" site then got nuked by clone sites. The major issue being that where I should be able to hoover up DosBox copy of "Gods" or an BBC Micro version of "Exile", it's not that: it's just ancient EU games no-one wants to remake. That's largely due to USA IP law, but hey.

3) GoG is really, really not supposed to be your launch platform: ever. Just don't do it. In all cases, hosting your own site is 100% a better option than GoG.

~

I can discuss this. I am right. I'll also charge you $375 / hr for being a muppet.

p.s.

Hello to the 1st crews who cracked "Repton" back in the day. Yes, I'm your fucking granny.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrystalBall

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Three points:

1) Abandonware sites have always been a thing in PC gaming (and for good reason): if you know, you know.

1a) The current "business model" of buying up old IPs and then re-re-releasing them is full of outright fraudsters; there are exceptions, but my rule is: if I bought Game X at $60 twenty years ago, you ain't double-dipping me.

1b) Japan is fucking just wild on this, but different. It's 1000% insanity land (due to their IP laws)

2) GoG is basically designed to be a legal "abandonware" site then got nuked by clone sites. The major issue being that where I should be able to hoover up DosBox copy of "Gods" or an BBC Micro version of "Exile", it's not that: it's just ancient EU games no-one wants to remake.

3) GoG is really, really not supposed to be your launch platform: ever.

~

I can discuss this. I am right. I'll also charge you $375 / hr for being a muppet.
GOG doesn't have DRM, and doesn't require me to install an app just to download the games I've bought from them. And a number of new games do appear on GOG. Not that I care, I have about zero interest in AAA titles and most other new games these days, outside of adult gaming, but that's of course a YMMV thing.

To each their own, but it's nice to have copies of games that I can move from machine to machine simply by grabbing the files from the folder I downloaded my games to, and NOT have to connect to the internet if I'm using a machine that I deliberately keep isolated from the 'net for whatever reason.

GOG has been around for what, three decades now (didn't realize it was that long), and works just fine. And legally distributes copies for games, for what I consider fair prices, particularly when there are sales going on.

My point is that there are games that are sold on both platforms, and some people avoid Steam whenever possible because of the DRM bullshit. And in this case, since there are already DRM free copies of SJx available on the web (notably here) there's no real benefit to hoping that Steam will 'protect' your game.

I mean, if LewdLab sees the benefit of selling Dreams of Desire on GOG, also DrPinkCake with Being a Dick, and a few others (I'm seeing ), yeah more money good. And GOG takes the same percentage (30%) as Steam does last time I checked. If your game is good enough for Steam it's good enough for GOG, and might as well take advantage of as many platforms as you can when marketing your game, 'cuz why not!

This is true of most Ren'Py games of course, that are distributed through Patreon or wherever that are 'Steam/GOG eligible', But this is a discussion that probably should be had in it's own thread.

This thread has been pretty supportive up to this point, with lack of trolling, so I'd suggest maintaining that cheerful attitude in this thread. SJx is a really cool game, and the developer should be able to enjoy whatever success he can with it!
;)

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
The characters are just stylized cartoon characters of pretty usual proportions (1:6), like the classic Disney Cartoon female characters (Aladdin's Jasmine, Snowhite or - non-Disney- Elfquest)
The figures are based on DAZ "Toon Princess" figure.

The ship etc is also basic stylized Sci-Fi assets I mostly made in Blender myself with mid to low poly count to get the stylized look.
I still think that you should look into selling your sci fi assets when you are done, maybe on RenderHub or somewhere. They look so nice, even if they are 'somewhat simplistic'...

yv0751

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
Banner Post  SJX_5.jpg
Dev Update - V1.30.12 Early Access Started
  • Beta Phase Successfully Concluded
  • Early Access on Patreon and Subscribestar from 10th April
  • All Tier Patreon Release 26th April
  • Public Release 15th of May
Thanks to the Forum for all the suggestions I could collect since December last year!

(...and forgive the chicks with guns trope in the banner ;) )

EPGerhart

Dec 24, 2017
I got my early access. I started a new game. I used the second to last (I think) start point. I got hit with a bug when attempting to interact with Vee on the bridge. When I try to report it on Discord, I get an error that Discord can't load messages (maybe because I'm on an old version of Windows).

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

yv0751

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
I got my early access. I started a new game. I used the second to last (I think) start point. I got hit with a bug when attempting to interact with Vee on the bridge. When I try to report it on Discord, I get an error that Discord can't load messages (maybe because I'm on an old version of Windows).

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You probably forgot to use the patch.
Its in the patreon post as attachment
(file 628_interact_vee. rpy)
There was a copy error in one file when I merged all CRQ.

My bad.

Don't you just love it when you are happily coding away in multiple windows, then hit a shortcut while forgetting where you are and instead of an action you gimp a single letter in your code... ;)

Last edited:

qizarte

Feb 26, 2020
I love that this dev actually finishes his games, rather than remaining in perennial 'update' limbo.

Once this is done, looking forward to the next!

EPGerhart

Dec 24, 2017
I just followed the link in the e-mail, I didn't go to the Patreon site. When I did, I see the links for the patches. One overwrites an existing file, one is new. I'll try again. Thank you for the response.

OniKuro

May 31, 2017
GOG doesn't have DRM, and doesn't require me to install an app just to download the games I've bought from them. And a number of new games do appear on GOG. Not that I care, I have about zero interest in AAA titles and most other new games these days, outside of adult gaming, but that's of course a YMMV thing.

To each their own, but it's nice to have copies of games that I can move from machine to machine simply by grabbing the files from the folder I downloaded my games to, and NOT have to connect to the internet if I'm using a machine that I deliberately keep isolated from the 'net for whatever reason.

GOG has been around for what, three decades now (didn't realize it was that long), and works just fine. And legally distributes copies for games, for what I consider fair prices, particularly when there are sales going on.

My point is that there are games that are sold on both platforms, and some people avoid Steam whenever possible because of the DRM bullshit. And in this case, since there are already DRM free copies of SJx available on the web (notably here) there's no real benefit to hoping that Steam will 'protect' your game.

I mean, if LewdLab sees the benefit of selling Dreams of Desire on GOG, also DrPinkCake with Being a Dick, and a few others (I'm seeing ), yeah more money good. And GOG takes the same percentage (30%) as Steam does last time I checked. If your game is good enough for Steam it's good enough for GOG, and might as well take advantage of as many platforms as you can when marketing your game, 'cuz why not!

This is true of most Ren'Py games of course, that are distributed through Patreon or wherever that are 'Steam/GOG eligible', But this is a discussion that probably should be had in it's own thread.

This thread has been pretty supportive up to this point, with lack of trolling, so I'd suggest maintaining that cheerful attitude in this thread. SJx is a really cool game, and the developer should be able to enjoy whatever success he can with it!
;)
how could someone ever prefer to move a 80gb game instead to redownloading in 2 mins?
if u have a pc without internet, why would that pc run games? i mean, u will play at 30fps in a work pc or 120 in a normal pc?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
how could someone ever prefer to move a 80gb game instead to redownloading in 2 mins?
if u have a pc without internet, why would that pc run games? i mean, u will play at 30fps in a work pc or 120 in a normal pc?
Anti hacker measure. My other computers/laptops are deliberately air gapped from the internet for reasons, with WiFi/Bluetooth not installed/removed. You lose all your stuff to hackers once...

I don't need to connect to the internet to use Daz Studio, etc. after download the packages for it.

The strategy here is to have a 'sacrificial' internet machine that can be easily replaced if something happens. Essentially a cheap laptop which doesn't have much on it other than a couple of games installed to pass the time while downloading and browsing the web.

Also, most of the games I'm interested in are older (I prefer turn based games), except for adult gaming, which of course I follow a few different adult gaming titles courtesy of this forum.

Getting off topic though. Looking forward to the next update! Not sure if I'll update my SJx mod again, other stuff going on atm.

Reactions: zimbono and yv0751

Yuki-x

Jul 22, 2021
2c) Steam is preferrable to Gog for one simple reason: <-- this type of site isn't even a Repack / Torrent or Pirate site, it literally just yoinks GoG releases and hosts them for free. So... there's zero reason to ever host on Gog. Ever. You, as a Dev, will never get any revenue from it.
:)
With the same logic:
Steam, itch, "whatever platform you want" is not recommended for a simple reason:
https://f95zone.to/ :giggle:

4.30 star(s) 39 Votes