Some Ren'Py Games won't open

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Thanks for the tip.
Unfortunately I can't run the mentioned games in the SDK launcher (I downloaded the newest SDK 8.2.0). Other games that i can open normaly can be launched in the SDK without any issue. The SDK try to load/launch the game and then goes back immediately to the main launcher screen to choose a project.

Here the log.txt file from the SDK folder after trying to launch the game that won't open:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Weirdly the games I can't open don't have any log.txt file, even after trying to run the games. So I can't see the ren'py version.

I quickly went through some old games.
I can open for instance versions like:

8.1.2.23063001+nightly

To somehow identify the ren'py version of the games I can't open I looked into game folder and found the file "script_version.txt" which shows an entry like:
(8, 1, 1)
I suppose this means it's ren'py 8.1.1.
Another one has the value:
(7, 5, 3) --> 7.5.3

When I however check the versions above it seems that this is not the issue, as the other games run on it.

The only commonality I identify in the games that don't work is that they dont have the "log.txt" file.

Here 2 examples:

1:
Both games run with 7.5.3. Left one won't open. Right one opens without issues:

View attachment 3370245

2:
3 games run with 8.1.1. Left one won't open. The two games on the right opens without issues:

View attachment 3370276

Hope this helps one of the experts to narrow down the issue or even find the problem/soloution :)

Many thanks again.
this guy had a similar problem and found a solution
https://f95zone.to/threads/some-games-do-not-work-properly-when-placed-in-d-drive.91090/post-6375156

kirbydancer

May 30, 2019
Yeah, looks like a similar problem. But I don't put them in a seperate drive (I only have 1 drive (C:/).
I tried the suggested ownership method and it didn't work unfortuantely.

I also tried to put the game just in the C:/ folder, then in the Programme and Programme (x86) folder.
Unfortunately none worked. Seems like a really special issue.

One day when I find the solution the this I will probably just facepalm myself of what it is.

kirbydancer

May 30, 2019
New day new try :)

I downloaded another game (Twisted Memories v0.8).

I could play the versions up until like 0.4 after that it didn't worked anymore.
I granted myself full access as in the other post mentioned. Still nothing works:
1708993500922.png

As always it tried to start the game but nothing happens, also no log.txt file is created.
Version of the game:
1708994032993.png

So now i tried to run the game with the SDK:
1708993605311.png
1708993592413.png

After clicking "Launch Project":
1708993625580.png

After 2-3 seconds it goes back to the initial screen, so couldn't run the game.
I checked the original game folder and still no new file created.

So I thought I create a new build of the game (it didn't worked so I don't go into that part in detail):
1708993721447.png

And here I realized: The moment I click on "Build Distributions" the "log.txt" file is created in the games folder:
1708993783580.png
The log says the following (I guess the Ren'Py version shown in this log is extracted from the SDK as the SDK is 8.2.0):

I tried "Update old-game", "Refresh" and "Build".
Unfortunately none of these options worked.
1708993873029.png
Maybe this new information, specially the newly created log.txt file helps someone to help me (and probably some other people) to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance pirates.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
The log says the following (I guess the Ren'Py version shown in this log is extracted from the SDK as the SDK is 8.2.0):
Well, the log say that Ren'Py had no issue when building the distribution.

kirbydancer

May 30, 2019
Well, the log say that Ren'Py had no issue when building the distribution.

Yes Building isn't a problem. Thats why I am confused. I can't open the game in explorer or in SDK. But I can re-create/build it.
For now I can't even say if the problem is my windows version, graphic card/driver, authorization/ownership of the folder, or some missing renpy addon (which i highly doubt) or something totally else.

I'm trying different stuff to narrow the issue down, but can't seem to do it..

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Yes Building isn't a problem. Thats why I am confused. I can't open the game in explorer or in SDK. But I can re-create/build it.
There's absolutely nothing confusing in this, and it's perfectly normal. The only constraint to build a distribution file is that there's no syntax error. Everything else do not enter in count.

For now I can't even say if the problem is my windows version,
Perhaps, but more than "Windows version" it would be "system configuration" in the most covering meaning.

graphic card/driver,
Very unlikely. If it was the issue, you would have a log file.

authorization/ownership of the folder,
Building the distribution would have failed, because the RPYC files are created in the game folder before being compressed in the zip distribution file.
And if it was a second hand issue (the "lib" folder being the only one to have it), then the game would works from the SDK, since it use it's own "lib" folder ; folder that is available else the SDK wouldn't have started.

or some missing renpy addon (which i highly doubt)
Here it's a clear no.

or something totally else.
With the "system configuration" it's the most plausible cause. But, well, the question is "what".

I'm trying different stuff to narrow the issue down, but can't seem to do it..
Hmm... Since you pass through the SDK, have you tried to reset the persistent values ?

SDK.jpg

kirbydancer

May 30, 2019
Perhaps, but more than "Windows version" it would be "system configuration" in the most covering meaning.
With the "system configuration" it's the most plausible cause. But, well, the question is "what".
Hmm... Since you pass through the SDK, have you tried to reset the persistent values ?

View attachment 3391493

I deleted the persistent file just now. Didn't helped. I also tried to run the games in the C:/ folder or inside programme or programme (x86). Unfortunately none worked.

It is a mystery that around 90% of the games work without issues, but some just don't open at all.

kirbydancer

May 30, 2019
I tried to deep dive a little bit.
First I deinstalled Python which I had installed awhile ago in hope it would solve the problem, as I read earlier an issue from someone that solved it. Unfortunately, it didn't for me.

Now I found a hidden folder :
C:\ProgramData\

There I followed the following path:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive

And there are hundreds of Appcrash reports:

1709082056698.png

I tried to open any of them, but get the error message that I don't have access to it. So I googled ways to open them.
Somehow it didn't allowed me to take ownership of the folder, but well I found another way to access the inside of the folders (opening editor as an admin, then copy pasting the report to my desktop).

In any of these AppCrashs there is a file called "Report.wer"
1709082168295.png

I can open it via editor.

For the newest appcrash of the game it gives me the following report:

Maybe someone knows what this stuff means?
My system is in german, sorry for that :)

But in the last lines it says:
____
OsInfo[39].Key=featureupdatependingreboot
OsInfo[39].Value=0
FriendlyEventName=Nicht mehr funktionsfähig
ConsentKey=APPCRASH
AppName=Twisted_Memories.exe
AppPath=C:\Users\kirbydancer\Desktop\Twisted_Memories-v0.7d-pc\Twisted_Memories.exe
NsPartner=windows
NsGroup=windows8
____

"Nicht mehr funktionsfähig" = No longer functional

Interestingly it says NsGroup=windows8. No idea what that means to be honest. But maybe this information helps to help me :D

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
I tried to deep dive a little bit.
First I deinstalled Python which I had installed awhile ago in hope it would solve the problem, as I read earlier an issue from someone that solved it. Unfortunately, it didn't for me.

Now I found a hidden folder :
C:\ProgramData\

There I followed the following path:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive

And there are hundreds of Appcrash reports:

View attachment 3392282

I tried to open any of them, but get the error message that I don't have access to it. So I googled ways to open them.
Somehow it didn't allowed me to take ownership of the folder, but well I found another way to access the inside of the folders (opening editor as an admin, then copy pasting the report to my desktop).

In any of these AppCrashs there is a file called "Report.wer"
View attachment 3392289

I can open it via editor.

For the newest appcrash of the game it gives me the following report:

Maybe someone knows what this stuff means?
My system is in german, sorry for that :)

But in the last lines it says:
____
OsInfo[39].Key=featureupdatependingreboot
OsInfo[39].Value=0
FriendlyEventName=Nicht mehr funktionsfähig
ConsentKey=APPCRASH
AppName=Twisted_Memories.exe
AppPath=C:\Users\kirbydancer\Desktop\Twisted_Memories-v0.7d-pc\Twisted_Memories.exe
NsPartner=windows
NsGroup=windows8
____

"Nicht mehr funktionsfähig" = No longer functional

Interestingly it says NsGroup=windows8. No idea what that means to be honest. But maybe this information helps to help me :D
just a wild guess but knowing how audio sometimes causes problems with renpy, try disabling/uninstalling nahimic

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
First I deinstalled Python which I had installed awhile ago in hope it would solve the problem, as I read earlier an issue from someone that solved it.
I highly doubt that. Ren'Py come with its own embedded version of Python and dynamically redefine the environment for its own session. Therefore, not a single time did it interfere with the version(s) of Python installed on the system.

As for the crash report, the significant part is this one:

Sig[0].Name=Anwendungsname
Sig[0].Value=Twisted_Memories.exe
Sig[1].Name=Anwendungsversion
Sig[1].Value=0.0.0.0
Sig[2].Name=Anwendungszeitstempel
Sig[2].Value=64812a57
Sig[3].Name=Fehlermodulname
Sig[3].Value=atio6axx.dll
Sig[4].Name=Fehlermodulversion
Sig[4].Value=31.0.12044.3
Sig[5].Name=Fehlermodulzeitstempel
Sig[5].Value=63582573
Sig[6].Name=Ausnahmecode
Sig[6].Value=c0000005
Sig[7].Name=Ausnahmeoffset
Sig[7].Value=0000000000131cc2
And it tell that the atio6axx.dll library (the OpenGL driver for AMD GPU) thrown an exception due to a wrong time stamp. In the same time, the exception code is "c0000005", what point to a access violation, that can be logical (memory access) or physical (access to an hardware part that do not exist or can't be accessed that way).
Is it possible that you GPU drivers do not correspond precisely to the installed GPU ?

Reactions: gojira667

jonquilnatrix

Feb 27, 2024
I highly doubt that. Ren'Py come with its own embedded version of Python and dynamically redefine the environment for its own session. Therefore, not a single time did it interfere with the version(s) of Python installed on the system.

And it tell that the atio6axx.dll library (the OpenGL driver for AMD GPU) thrown an exception due to a wrong time stamp. In the same time, the exception code is "c0000005", what point to a access violation, that can be logical (memory access) or physical (access to an hardware part that do not exist or can't be accessed that way).
Is it possible that you GPU drivers do not correspond precisely to the installed GPU ?
If it's a GPU thing then maybe the old trick of holding shift when you start renpy and picking a different rendering engine would do...something?

kirbydancer

May 30, 2019
If it's a GPU thing then maybe the old trick of holding shift when you start renpy and picking a different rendering engine would do...something?
Unfortunately that didn't worked. I try this at every game just in case. At the games which I can't open at all that "trick" won't work sadly. But thanks :)

kirbydancer

May 30, 2019

How would I know that/What should I do to test/update here? Sorry not super familiar in these topics in detail.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
How would I know that/What should I do to test/update here? Sorry not super familiar in these topics in detail.
You don't have to be sorry, and if you don't know how to update the driver, then the answer is "yes, the drivers are for that GPU" ; I mean, if you don't know how to make the update, I doubt that you did one once choosing a random version of the driver.

This being said, the error come from the GPU, but it's not necessarily the cause, it can be a consequence.
But, just to be sure, go to the , then click on the "download Windows drivers" link. Then run the exe that will be downloaded, it should detect everything by itself and therefore update precisely the drivers.

kirbydancer

May 30, 2019
You don't have to be sorry, and if you don't know how to update the driver, then the answer is "yes, the drivers are for that GPU" ; I mean, if you don't know how to make the update, I doubt that you did one once choosing a random version of the driver.

This being said, the error come from the GPU, but it's not necessarily the cause, it can be a consequence.
But, just to be sure, go to the , then click on the "download Windows drivers" link. Then run the exe that will be downloaded, it should detect everything by itself and therefore update precisely the drivers.
IT WORKED!!! Finally :love:

After updating the drivers (4 were recommended in total, forgot which ones, 1x CPU, 1x Driver etc.) and a restart of my Laptop I can open all the games.

I realized that most of the games I couldn't open before had a little picture before the game loads like this:

1709251857300.png

A standalone picture. Then the game loaded.
Maybe that extra action prevented it. 3 out of 5 games I just tested, which didn't worked before, had that. The other 2 didn't had that but well everything works now.

Interestingly I updated all drivers, however through a free version third party application, maybe that didn't identify the CPU driver update.

Many many Thanks to everyone and especially you anne O'nymous. :giggle:
Would have never guessed it was due to a needed CPU Driver Update.

Hopefully this thread helps others :)

b3488c87

Jul 29, 2021
After an update my Windows 11 system started not to open the VN, right on the day "The Fiery Scion" came out, luckily I had the old version and it just replaced all the files in the main folder except the folder for the new version "game" so the Renpy play, but as the days go by, more and more Renpy doesn't play.

I clicked on "*.exe" and nothing happened, the log file was not generated

Following some comments on the forum:

1º updated graphic card
2º updated graphic card of processor
3º updated C++
4º updated DirectX (it was already updated)
5º updated NET Framework (it was already updated)

After that, I went to see if the folders had system permissions and which ones, but everything was normal. but I remembered that the Windows security system, together with property, has a new function to prevent RAMSON. I just checked the option and applied and Renpy started working again, I had to do it for each folder of the new versions being released.

P.S.: I'm Brazilian so my system is in my language

Hope this helps

1712084540028.png
In the General properties tab, select the security option and apply it. And Renpy started working again, I had to do this for each folder of the new versions being released that doesn't work.

qwsl

Jan 10, 2020
In the General properties tab, select the security option and apply it. And Renpy started working again, I had to do this for each folder of the new versions being released that doesn't work.
OP have completely different problem - AMD drivers not supported Co-pilot in Windows 11 since october 2023(and sometimes on W10) update (in february 2024 problem return as worldwide problem with dozens AAA games, ecpecially released before 2011(i.e. DX9 games) and fixed in latest week release of AMD drivers, but for some configs \ games still need workaround with roll-back drivers or use DXVK)