• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Daz Tutorial Solving dark lines/render artifacts around the hairline

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
I have had a problem with dark lines showing up in renders around the hairline of some characters some of the time (seems to depend on lighting as well). I think I have found the origin of the issue somewhat of a solution. (other than having to touch up every single picture in post that is). I couldn't find another tutorial touching on this in this forum and I know at least one other person had the same issue as me in the last couple of weeks so I thought I'd share what I found here since it is quite simple.

So here is an example of the issue (this is on the extreme end):
Example.png

Now if you set your viewport to smooth you see that the mesh of the hair intersects the mesh of the model the hair is attached too.
origin of issue.png

Now to solve this you can increase or decrease the scale of the hair ever so slightly (somewhere between .1 and .3 of a percent should be enough) The issue is with the skullcap so if you can only change that even better but not all hairstyles have that option.
scale.png
result.png
end result.png

The change is slight enough that even in the most unfavourable way the hair won't look wierd or detached.

CarbonBlue

Developer of Unleashed
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2018
You can also try moving the character in question to 0, 0, 0 xyz coordinates. Group everything in the scene except the character in question. Then drag the group onto the character to make her the parent. Then move her to 0, 0, 0. That often gets rid of the problem.

aenwyn

Feb 2, 2021
Thank you for the advice. I've had this show up randomly and wasn't able to find a good fix. I've fixed them in Photoshop. I'll give this a try next time.