[SOLVED] problem with some renpy games

Demonius

Oct 28, 2018
ok, so ive this problem with a couple of renpy games, most recently with My Real Desire by Lykanz. the game will start up and do its loading thing, then a the game window will open, i play all renpy games in windowed mode, the entire window except the titlebar at the top of the window will be white and then the window will close without an error log or traceback being generated. ive tried running the game on 3 different hard drives and it all did the same thing. also i cant even delete all the game files after the window closes without restarting my computer as its like the game is running but actually isnt as ive looked in the task manager for it and not seen anything. ive attached the regular log file that generates and a screen shot of the files that i cant delete without restarting my computer.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: LightmanP

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Hi Demo

Mmmm i hope not its the memory i sent you as it may be that? Let's hope not.
When it crashes and you in Task Manager go to the Details tab.. see if the game is maybe running there even though you cant find it in Processes tab.

What is strange is that only a couple of RenPy games doing this. This makes it harder to solve honestly.

Demonius

Oct 28, 2018
Hi Demo

Mmmm i hope not its the memory i sent you as it may be that? Let's hope not.
When it crashes and you in Task Manager go to the Details tab.. see if the game is maybe running there even though you cant find it in Processes tab.

What is strange is that only a couple of RenPy games doing this. This makes it harder to solve honestly.
no, its not showing up in the details tab either, another problem ive been having is the program i use to download torrents doesnt seem to fully close either, though that shows up in the task manager but it wont end even when i click end task/process

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
I know this sux, but i take you on Win10? Maybe last resort do a Reset of Win10. Then see if that solves the problem. The fact that you say that some apps are not closing as they should.

Demonius

Oct 28, 2018
i found this file when i was doing a backup of my appdata folder. had to put it in zip file as the forums dont allow uploads of a .dmp file

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
ok, so ive this problem with a couple of renpy games, most recently with My Real Desire by Lykanz. the game will start up and do its loading thing, then a the game window will open, i play all renpy games in windowed mode, the entire window except the titlebar at the top of the window will be white and then the window will close without an error log or traceback being generated. ive tried running the game on 3 different hard drives and it all did the same thing. also i cant even delete all the game files after the window closes without restarting my computer as its like the game is running but actually isnt as ive looked in the task manager for it and not seen anything. ive attached the regular log file that generates and a screen shot of the files that i cant delete without restarting my computer.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Here are my two suggestions:

1. Update your GPU drivers. Latest available version is 471.96; you have 471.11.

2. Check all crashing games for their RenPy version. If all of them use v7.4.xx then it is very likely to be a driver issue. Devs should update all their games to the latest RenPy v7.4.8, because previous versions were all bugged. You can download RenPy SDK v7.4.8 and user-port the game on your own. See if this will fix your problem.

Good luck.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Updating SDK usually then fucks with the Android building afterwards. It's not always so straight forward updating to latest SDK's. I think why many devs do not update.

Here are my two suggestions:

1. Update your GPU drivers. Latest available version is 471.96; you have 471.11.

2. Check all crashing games for their RenPy version. If all of them use v7.4.xx then it is very likely to be a driver issue. Devs should update all their games to the latest RenPy v7.4.8, because previous versions were all bugged. You can download RenPy SDK v7.4.8 and user-port the game on your own. See if this will fix your problem.

Good luck.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Updating SDK usually then fucks with the Android building afterwards. It's not always so straight forward updating to latest SDK's. I think why many devs do not update.
Honestly, I don't care about Android users, because the majority of paying supports are still desktops users. And screwing them over for pirates, who can't user-port games to mobile on their own, isn't worth it.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
2. Check all crashing games for their RenPy version. If all of them use v7.4.xx then it is very likely to be a driver issue.
Not necessarily. The log he attached regard the version 7.4.5, therefore the first effective switch to the Python 3.x compatibility. It can also come from this. But still it shouldn't happen on a Win 10 host. There's possibly the new texturing render feature, but it should show an error message, not just crash like this.

So far, the only case of silent crash I know all happen when you try to load a save file, this is really strange. But since there's at least another software that have some issue, it's possibly OS related ; and my guess goes for "virus OS related".

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
So far, the only case of silent crash I know all happen when you try to load a save file, this is really strange. But since there's at least another software that have some issue, it's possibly OS related ; and my guess goes for "virus OS related".
Let's hope it isn't OS related and can be fixed easily. Maybe some corrupted and/or broken system files? :unsure:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Let's hope it isn't OS related and can be fixed easily. Maybe some corrupted and/or broken system files? :unsure:
If it was the file system, then the problem would persist after a reboot. But from what I got reading OP, after a reboot he gain back the access to the files and can delete them. Therefore, it's clearly a software issue.

Reactions: cold_arctus

Demonius

Oct 28, 2018
so i was told by someone to hold shift while launching the game to bring up an options screen, i did this and changed what he told me to change and it didnt work, but since you said something about gl render i made the changes that guy told me to, disableing powersave and gamepad, and just now i also changed the renderer option from automatically choose to force angle2 renderer and it allowed my real desire to load up properly
1631001064119.png