[Solved] Game save file locations

jonk999

Aug 14, 2017
Just wondering where save files for games are generally stored.
For most, it appears to be a 'save' folder under 'games' or similar. However, I have found that if I delete the game directory and then at a later stage unzip/reinstall the game again from the downloaded file, all the previous saves are there again.

Are saves also cached somewhere under the user profile or something? If so, anyone know where?

Cheers.

jonk999

Aug 14, 2017
if your in windowssearch "run"
then input %appdata%
somtimes it can be in there somewhere
there may be other locations but i think its there
Thanks, I've had a quick look there but didn't find much. I'll have a closer look.
Strange thing is that there are also files in the 'save' directory for the game. So perhaps it's making copies in multiple locations...

Reactions: chronosmus

lodadsaq

Futa Church of Holy Cock Rings
Donor
Mar 3, 2017
aye i know there is a place u can get them, but i dotn know where theya re, i think its in appdata, but it could be in a similer place but instead of owner or wahtever your name is it could be in a difrent place

Furyous D

Aug 11, 2017
I'm a noob at this as well I found renpy and my saves but what do i do from there?
i was having trouble with it myself after not trying to find my renpy saves in a while so for anyone who wants a detailed explanation hear is mine, what u want to do is go into your c: drive click on the users folder and then on ur profile if u don't see the appdata folder you'll need to unhide it by going into ur control panel under folder options click on the view tab and under advanced option click the option: show hidden files, folders and drives, apply that and go back to ur user folder and appdata should be visible then u click on roaming and renpy from the renpy folder all u have to do is find the game u want the saves from and click on it and all the saves will be there for whatever purpose u need them for, u may also need to get the saves from where ever u saved the game to aswell depending on what u need them for, they are allot easier to find they are just in the games game folder under saves.
Hope this helps anyone who is still confused after reading all the other comments or like myself didn't read them properly until after i had figured it out :)

Furyous D

Aug 11, 2017
I'm a noob at this as well I found renpy and my saves but what do i do from there?
what are u looking to do with the saves?, if u are looking to delete them then just delete them from both folder locations and u should be good, ill help all i can if my previous comments didn't already

Wicked Garden

Osiris
Donor
May 9, 2018
what are u looking to do with the saves?, if u are looking to delete them then just delete them from both folder locations and u should be good, ill help all i can if my previous comments didn't already
This post was from months ago, someone helped me already. Thanks anyway.

Perhaps you might know where or how to find saves for rpgm games on Windows? That part is still cloudy.

Back

Aug 3, 2017
Perhaps you might know where or how to find saves for rpgm games on Windows? That part is still cloudy.
Unlike Ren'Py or other games where the saves are (also) located in one of the AppData folders, RPGM games have their saves in the directory where the game is stored in--namely, the "save" folder. *Of course, some people have played these games from a compressed file (i.e., downloading a game and running the game without unpacking) in which case save points cannot be created.

Example of where a save might be:
Say, I have a game called "Game One". I've downloaded it and unpacked it into a folder called "RPGM" located in drive, say, G. Thus, the pathway should be something like:
"G:\RPGM\Game One", for this instance. In there, you'll see a folder called "save". That's where your saves are.​
"G:\RPGM\Game One\save", and the files will have rpgsave or rvdata2 (or something) as their extensions if you have the options of viewing extensions turned on. Sometimes the "save" folder is not present until a save point is created. In fact, this folder can safely be deleted if you want a reset the game from scratch.​

I hope that helps. Just one disclaimer, as I currently have no RPGM games installed at the moment, all of the above is from memory. It should be accurate nonetheless.

Edit: Mind you, that's where the default location of saves go--right in the game's directory. However, if the developer changed the default save location from within the game's script using its data manager, then it could be anywhere. I hope you're not dealing with a weird case like that. Fortunately, RPGM developers messing around with save locations is quite uncommon. (I apologize if you received a few duplicate alerts from within F95 as I was having a little bit of an issue getting the answer posted--weird forum issues at the time of this post.)

Furyous D

Aug 11, 2017
Unlike Ren'Py or other games where the saves are (also) located in one of the AppData folders, RPGM games have their saves in the directory where the game is stored in--namely, the "save" folder. *Of course, some people have played these games from a compressed file (i.e., downloading a game and running the game without unpacking) in which case save points cannot be created.

Say, I have a game called "Game One". I've downloaded it and unpacked it into a folder called "RPGM" located in drive, say, G. Thus, the pathway should be something like:
"G:\RPGM\Game One", for this instance. In there, you'll see a folder called "save". That's where your saves are.​
"G:\RPGM\Game One\save", and the files will have rpgsave or rvdata2 (or something) as their extensions if you have the options of viewing extensions turned on. Sometimes the "save" folder is not present until a save point is created. In fact, this folder can safely be deleted if you want a reset the game from scratch.​

I hope that helps. Just one disclaimer, as I currently have no RPGM games installed at the moment, all of the above is from memory. It should be accurate nonetheless.

Edit: Mind you, that's where the default location of saves go--right in the game's directory. However, if the developer changed the default save location from within the game's script using its data manager, then it could be anywhere. I hope you're not dealing with a weird case like that. Fortunately, RPGM developers messing around with save locations is quite uncommon. (I apologize if you received a few duplicate alerts from within F95 as I was having a little bit of an issue getting the answer posted--weird forum issues at the time of this post.)
u beat me to it and probably explained it more than i would of, yes rpgm saves are stored in the location where u extracted the game but it differs depending on what version of rpgm the game uses i can't remember what the version it is called but the one with the unicorn symbol just has the saves in the folder itself where as MV (i think) has them under the www folder in a save folder but they are all in the games folder somewhere u just have to look for the save extension

Wicked Garden

Osiris
Donor
May 9, 2018

This helped me so much, Thanks for breaking everything down for me.

prudhvi

Feb 5, 2019
Hi, So I started playing these visual novels recently. I was playing a game and they released a new version of it. So how can i play that whilst keeping my saved progress so far?
Thank You.

fabyoxx

Sep 13, 2019
Hi, does anyone know where RenPy saves progress files on Mac? I can't find the folder in AWAAM