VN Ren'Py Abandoned Silverback Book [v2.3.0] [FeverForest]

Gaboris

Aug 10, 2017
Okay played this through and I'd say this is a good enough start.

It needs a lot of polish especially in the focus department. The "click at the logical things to get around" is a good approach, but it's actually not obvious at all what those are and disabling(also visually labeling) stuff that can't be interacted with anymore/right now would also help a lot to alleviate frustration.
Also traversal needs to be consistent so stuff like clicking on the road takes me home, but at times it actually brings up an option to pick a destination MUST go away. I guess this is just a placeholder cuz of not having all the art or the map created yet and that's okay, but be sure to stick to one or the other of "every target can be seen on the image" or "there's a travel to button with a map/list".

The story is too short for now and I didn't read the line too closely to give an input. I might give it a second run and actually analyze the actual texts, but for now I'm more interested if the story is planned to be linear and follows a set line of events with "free roaming" till one finds the next one or if it'll be "go and have fun and just keep up a schedule/work/school". Fixed milestone events will still happen, but they'll be influenced by what you do and side events will kick in if you meet some requirements.

Looking at the mind control stuff(2-3 H-scene at best so far) I'm REALLY interested.
Depending on how far the concept is willing to go(using forceful control too many times might leave a permanent effect on the victim like they become broken drones only responding to sex and are either left for free use or kept in our house as toys) or if there'll be options to choose AFTER corruption or romance has been picked(full control, plant thought or change personality) this can become one of my favorite games...
To be fair, I'm saying this cuz all other games that have stuff like this are lain and focus on one route or are completely shallow in its approach and this one is early enough to go either way and I'm trying to implant my darker ideas. :D

About the graphics... Don't know if these are the final art pieces or if these are early test runs, but I do feel like they need at least some cleaning up. If the story and mechanics are good I can get used to the style, but my first advice is to keep on trying out other art styles that might work better or improve these ones.

Anyways I'll keep an eye on this one and if the development seems to go on nicely I might jump in with some Patreon support for a while to see how planned content gets voted so just keep it up! :)

Fever Forest

Game Developer
Jun 4, 2017
Okay played this through and I'd say this is a good enough start.

It needs a lot of polish especially in the focus department. The "click at the logical things to get around" is a good approach, but it's actually not obvious at all what those are and disabling(also visually labeling) stuff that can't be interacted with anymore/right now would also help a lot to alleviate frustration.
Also traversal needs to be consistent so stuff like clicking on the road takes me home, but at times it actually brings up an option to pick a destination MUST go away. I guess this is just a placeholder cuz of not having all the art or the map created yet and that's okay, but be sure to stick to one or the other of "every target can be seen on the image" or "there's a travel to button with a map/list".

The story is too short for now and I didn't read the line too closely to give an input. I might give it a second run and actually analyze the actual texts, but for now I'm more interested if the story is planned to be linear and follows a set line of events with "free roaming" till one finds the next one or if it'll be "go and have fun and just keep up a schedule/work/school". Fixed milestone events will still happen, but they'll be influenced by what you do and side events will kick in if you meet some requirements.

Looking at the mind control stuff(2-3 H-scene at best so far) I'm REALLY interested.
Depending on how far the concept is willing to go(using forceful control too many times might leave a permanent effect on the victim like they become broken drones only responding to sex and are either left for free use or kept in our house as toys) or if there'll be options to choose AFTER corruption or romance has been picked(full control, plant thought or change personality) this can become one of my favorite games...
To be fair, I'm saying this cuz all other games that have stuff like this are lain and focus on one route or are completely shallow in its approach and this one is early enough to go either way and I'm trying to implant my darker ideas. :D

About the graphics... Don't know if these are the final art pieces or if these are early test runs, but I do feel like they need at least some cleaning up. If the story and mechanics are good I can get used to the style, but my first advice is to keep on trying out other art styles that might work better or improve these ones.

Anyways I'll keep an eye on this one and if the development seems to go on nicely I might jump in with some Patreon support for a while to see how planned content gets voted so just keep it up! :)
Thanks, This means alot.You had a ALOT of great ideas i will be coming back to this post. Thank You

Gaboris

Aug 10, 2017
Thanks, This means alot.You had a ALOT of great ideas i will be coming back to this post. Thank You
It always warms my heart when I get to help someone with an idea I have.
Gonna be looking forward to what's in the next major update to see where you'll go with the game. :)

Reactions: Cirro84

Fever Forest

Game Developer
Jun 4, 2017
It always warms my heart when I get to help someone with an idea I have.
Gonna be looking forward to what's in the next major update to see where you'll go with the game. :)
When it comes to the story.
There will be sections of main story then side quest
The Main Story section will be linear while the side quest will be open world.
So like this,

Start Game - Side quest - Main Story - Side quest - main story - Side quest - And etc etc

The side quests will have spots that will have positive or negative effects on the Main Story to come but becuz the side quest will be open world you can simply just skip them and make the game very linear tho the side quest will be real quests and NOT "fetch quests" just make the game longer.

hatokrots

May 27, 2017
When it comes to the story.
There will be sections of main story then side quest
The Main Story section will be linear while the side quest will be open world.
So like this,

Start Game - Side quest - Main Story - Side quest - main story - Side quest - And etc etc

The side quests will have spots that will have positive or negative effects on the Main Story to come but becuz the side quest will be open world you can simply just skip them and make the game very linear tho the side quest will be real quests and NOT "fetch quests" just make the game longer.
That's a great idea tbh, good luck developing the game

Reactions: Fever Forest

Fever Forest

Game Developer
Jun 4, 2017
2.1.2 is now live

PC/Linux:

Mac:

Patreon: For V2.1.3 & V2.1.4 Go Here:

Reactions: Kendra

Fever Forest

Game Developer
Jun 4, 2017
Áh, cool.
What's new in this one? It's just a x.x.1 increase so I guess it's just bugfixes?
No, 2.1.2 Adds new scenes to the MC's Home, You can now go to the player's room and sleep.
It always adds a long needed new Attic with new......Friends

V2.1.2 Is Out Now
PC/Linux:

Mac:

V2.1.2

Reactions: Kendra and Vibescu

Fever Forest

Game Developer
Jun 4, 2017
There is V2.1.3 For +5$ Patrons,That adds Sal Quest which has 3+ NEW Scenes.
You need to help Sal save his 'Love' from the hands of a local gang....But theres more to that simpe gang...

V2.1.4 +10$ Adds a final scene to Sal Quest while also adding a new Wes Home Background...

V2.1.5+ will be about Wes' Mother..Half way though that :) should be fun.

Pics for V2.1.3+ will be on the Patreon untill Public Release .

Gaboris

Aug 10, 2017
OH! So all new art for the home? Did other places get a "facelift" as well? Eh, I'll just see what it's like now for myself. :D

Reactions: Fever Forest

Fever Forest

Game Developer
Jun 4, 2017
OH! So all new art for the home? Did other places get a "facelift" as well? Eh, I'll just see what it's like now for myself. :D
Hey, Gaboris.I want to know what you think so far...I take what you said last time about more obvious visually labeling to heart.And what you think about the "facelift"?

Gaboris

Aug 10, 2017
Hey, Gaboris.I want to know what you think so far...I take what you said last time about more obvious visually labeling to heart.And what you think about the "facelift"?
Okay I'm back.
Yeah it shows. This new "pre-marked" system is much better than the "flail around randomly to see what lights up" we had before so that's cool to see. Happy I could help. :D

For map navigation I'd say this'll be just fine and leaving them out for stuff that are just extras(fish tank, sofa, pictures) is also a nice touch, but those MUST be distinctive if you start creating more of them. Like if someone can inspect a drawer it should have a different color or must be visually "sharper" than the background.(Like how old cartoons had the moving parts.)

I guess this is still a WIP since it's not consistent throughout yet as some items are marked and other are not so you should decide how you wanna do this(my bet is on only navigation and MAYBE have a toggle to turn items markers on or off). Maybe use the sharper rings for locations as in the home and dots for items.
Also just as a heads up when you're doing bug-fixing a bunch of dots/rings are "inactive" at times. Either have a line that tells the player why that is, or just don't show them unless they have a use.

There are also some minor bugs that I happened to notice:
- If you talk to the man in the mailbox and finish the conversation we get "transported" to the terminal in the bar.
- When you're looking for the hobo with the tent and the image goes blurry his tent is showing.
- The library exit seems to change locations. At one point it's the lower left dot and then it's the right side one.

P.S.: I looked through the images folder(I LOVE it when I have access to that) and I can see that you're using some funny tricks to make those dots work and I guess most of it is to save time on early development.
Since I don't know HOW much flexibility does Ren'py have for layering images I can't help with this, but if it's anything like basic HTML and CSS with image cropping, absolute positioning and relative sizing(based on the rings in the house that light up individually I guess that's the case) then you should be able to use a single background(not have multiple versions of the same image with differently placed static dots) and just place the same ring/dot on it several times.
If proper cropping is supported you could outright use a sprite sheet for them and every single non-static item in the game to save on space and to make changing stuff simpler(you won't have to remake a whole background just to remove an item, but you'll have to get used to working with coordinates non stop).

Hope this helps. Tell me if you need anything more specific. :)

Fever Forest

Game Developer
Jun 4, 2017
V2.1.4 Is Out Now
PC/Linux:

Mac:

Reactions: Cirro84

Cirro84

Resident Evil-doer, part-time Candyman
Dec 24, 2016
Hey FF! Cool, nice pic update. The house does look fine. Especially the different characters / NPCs would be good to add to the first post (OP). So members get a glimpse what is awaiting them. Interesting art style. Need to try out your game. ;)