Should Devs Hate F95?

What should Devs do to sell & protect thier games?

• Add mild DRM

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • Add signigficant DRM

Votes: 11 3.4%
  • Add passwords to unlock premium version

Votes: 35 10.8%
  • Ignore the issue / just make better games

Votes: 274 84.6%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 23 7.1%

• Total voters

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Personally, I think all incomplete games should be yeeted from the site as they abuse the Latest Updates feature to bury quality finished games. That or let me, and other nobodies, make threads in the games forum. YoU cAN jUsT FiLtER uS, right?
Only my games should be yeeted (from the internet), because they are an insult to human's intelligence, other than being an annoying eyesore.

That being said, the whole point of latest updates is to show whose games have been updated recently, and guess what, only incomplete games get content updates (aside from the rare exceptions of dlcs), crazy, I know!

As for making game threads yourself, you can do that: Make a thread here: https://f95zone.to/forums/game-requests.3/ by follow this template (and rules): https://f95zone.to/threads/game-uploading-rules-2019-06-25.524/ then report the thread and ask for it to be moved in games.

Helmeted Smith

Vanqwar
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2020
Personally, I think all incomplete games should be yeeted from the site as they abuse the Latest Updates feature to bury quality finished games. That or let me, and other nobodies, make threads in the games forum. YoU cAN jUsT FiLtER uS, right?
Although I don't support the whole "incomplete games should be yeeted from the site", I'd agree and say that Finished Games should at least have a dedicated page.

Reactions: Dahakma
Apr 24, 2020
Nice try but if the dev's of those games abandoned them then yes i would say that they would need to be removed from the site.

My opinion doesn't change just because i like or dislike a game.
So a game can be good enough to play, but shouldn't exist on the site?
I find it fascinating how you can on one hand complain about a game dying because the devs pulled the plug on it and yet at the same time you are so eager to pull the plug on others yourself.
"Fuck you, got mine" I think the attitude is called.

Although I don't support the whole "incomplete games should be yeeted from the site", I'd agree and say that Finished Games should at least have a dedicated page.
There's a search filter.
Using the "latest updates" to find completed games is a fools errand since, as Winterfire pointed out, completed games stop getting updates. It's better to search for them using the tag and then sort by most recent.

But the issue still remain. If I'm dishonest and want to get as much PR as possible, what's stopping me from saying my game is finished and then just launch any future updates as DLC rather than calling it version 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 and so on?
Incest got banned from major funding sites, so now it's all landladies and step-moms. Same thing, different name, in order to dance around the rules so that the games gain as much exposure and funding as possible.

Helmeted Smith

Vanqwar
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2020
But the issue still remain. If I'm dishonest and want to get as much PR as possible, what's stopping me from saying my game is finished and then just launch any future updates as DLC rather than calling it version 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 and so on?
Incest got banned from major funding sites, so now it's all landladies and step-moms. Same thing, different name, in order to dance around the rules so that the games gain as much exposure and funding as possible.
Being dishonest and lying about a game being finished is not a recipe for good PR in the first place, even if it's well disguised, people will eventually figure it out. But I see your point. I guess there are issues and loopholes on both sides.

Reactions: Malicre

whiite

Jun 10, 2018
One of the biggest incentivizes devs can do to make people support their game is to have an account on here and interact with fans and potential fans.

Most patrons/subscribers find the games on here and other sites like it. That is why many devs, including big ones, have accounts on here. A lot of them even post their game themselves.
Yep. Exactly.
I would've never found, and started supporting the games that I do, if not for this site.
And I would've never started supporting, if not for the fact that I could play and try the game first.
And I never would've started supporting, if not the for fact that I can see how often the dev updates the game.
I would NEVER just buy a game, without first having played through it, and liked it. And I would NEVER support these games, if not for the fact that I can see which devs actively develop the game, and which just rest on their laurels and collect patreon money without delivering updates.

This place is a god-send for the devs imo.

Make a good game, and update it regularly, and talk to the community, and you will earn big bucks.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Also, like I said before, what prevents the devs from simply claiming their game is completed, rather than abandoned?
Since some (and one particularly) are already doing it, I clearly see this happen if abandoned games where effectively put aside.

That being said, the whole point of latest updates is to show whose games have been updated recently, and guess what, only incomplete games get content updates (aside from the rare exceptions of dlcs), crazy, I know!
Anyway, he's just complaining for nothing. The "latest updates" section can perfectly, and easily, be configured to only show the games with a "completed" prefix ; this whatever if you want to see it as HTML or a feed.
If he don't know how to look at a page to see the obvious configuration option, or don't know how to put the link as favorite, it's not removing the WIP games that would solve the effective problem.

As for making game threads yourself, you can do that: Make a thread here: https://f95zone.to/forums/game-requests.3/ by follow this template (and rules): https://f95zone.to/threads/game-uploading-rules-2019-06-25.524/ then report the thread and ask for it to be moved in games.
His use of idiomatic writing to end the sentence make me think more about a "I'll talk about whatever I want but not game" thread. You know, the kind of nonsense kids do when they are angry because their parents don't care about their tantrum.

Being dishonest and lying about a game being finished is not a recipe for good PR in the first place, even if it's well disguised, people will eventually figure it out.
It's clearly not the recipe for success, yes, but is doing it since four years now. I lost the count, but he already rushed to a "completed" state four or five games he didn't bothered to continue.
If effectively people figured it out, there's still many people who continue to fall for it. He isn't successful, but depending of where he live, the around US$ 700/month he actually earn can add a fifth week to his salary or represent a full time job. And even if it don't worse much in his country, he's still part of the 1/4 of adult creators that earn at least this much.
So, it don't permit you to succeed, but it works.

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
I think this is more of an UI/UX issue regarding the site and how it will adapt to the influx of games, deleting a game like Milfy City because it was (hypothetically) abandoned, wouldn't make a lot of sense. Archiving it into a different category, I'll argue it's a better solution.
This, pretty much. It's more an issue of visibility (or lack thereof) than content.

Apr 24, 2020
Being dishonest and lying about a game being finished is not a recipe for good PR in the first place, even if it's well disguised, people will eventually figure it out. But I see your point. I guess there are issues and loopholes on both sides.
It seems to work fine for incest games. Everyone knows that she isn't really your landlady and besides, if your competitors get deleted for being honest then that just makes it the new norm.
Everyone will know that "Update 1.4", "DLC Pack III" or "Sarah Path Continued" is really just version 0.4, there's nothing more to it.
People will not even have to download an incest patch to get around this type of loophole, so I doubt anyone would notice.

Helmeted Smith

Vanqwar
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2020
I love how the conversation shifted from "Should devs hate f95?", to why players hate the devs and F95 for offering them loopholes.
:LUL:

EDIT:
Lesson of the day...
LIFE ISN'T FAIR.

Filthyfrank.jpg

Last edited:

Icarus Media

F95 Comedian
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2019
What? No of course not, why hate f95? This site is full of good and lovely people, good banter and excellent diligent moderators and administrators, I have in no way been paid or otherwise compensated to say this nor would I suggest that one of the moderation team is standing behind me at all during this threatening to bash my head into the keyboard if I say anything untoward...I would also not venture to suggest that this particular alleged moderator has not bathed recently and could do with gfsikjfbsieujb sdbividjkvssgvjbsgiu jbiusb.............................................................................

AdventAnyx

Game Developer
Feb 2, 2020
As a dev, you can spend an hour or two out there on the webz, get called "cock-sniffing cuck", "retarded weeb", "uneducated monkey", etc. several dozens of times, to really start appreciating places like this.
In fact, game aside, I've found way more people ready to help with the development (Renpy) here than at the official forums.
I fucking love this place! Haven't had a single bad experience yet.
:giggle:

As a gamer though, I'd like them to expand the tag system. Maybe do something like weighted tagging, so that thread holders could define how significant this or that tag is in the game. Maybe do a double version - uploader vs. players (like critics vs. users score). But at the very least we need more tags, maybe x3-x5 of the current volume.

Last edited:

Queen of the Dolls

Definitely a defiant deviant
Donor
Mar 21, 2018
I think most use this site as i do, to find and test old and new games, and get a heads up on new stuff.
And then many support their newly found game or cc if they feel like it. I`ve supported several on patreon after seeing them here first, Games and people i would never have know about if not for this site, so yeah.
I do the same with music to, i listen to the whole album via torrents, and if i get hooked, i buy it.
I had the same discussion with someone the other day, that claimed he was a huge fan of Marina Diamandis, but would only dl the music for free ...

When people get greedy and want absolutely everything they see for free, and don`t even support the things they like, or like some in here that call cc`s for asses for wanting to get paid for their work, well that is another issue all together.
Sign of the times i guess ...

Staimh

Dec 12, 2020
I have to assume that a number of devs are clearly content to embrace F95 because they take an interactive interest in the threads associated with their games. This is, certainly for me, beneficial. When a game is in development and the developer is taking an active interest it gives added confidence that updates are likely to continue.

Take the recent contributors to this thread AdventAnyx and Apo_Icarus both of whom respond regularly on their game threads.

Its fair to say lots of developers do this and a few of games I have been playing recently where this happens (and I would therefore like to extol) include those by StickyIckyCiC, YedaGames, _FapForce5 and Dahakma (Dahakma hasn't actually registered as a developer but happily answers game questions)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dahakma

TessSadist

Donor
Game Developer
Aug 4, 2019
I would add a minor suggestion with regards to completed games. I think if a dev completes a game in their mind, maybe they could submit it to F95 formally somehow as a finished product. Then, a trusted team on F95 could at least review the quality and see if it's really a completed game versus a half-baked game "called finished", etc. After that, perhaps the F95 site itself could certify somehow a game is "completed" and that could be it's own section, like F95 approved as actually completed. Not the completed tag, but somehow a more formal recognition that could be separated in its own area/thread or something to that effect. Maybe this is too much work for what I assume are mostly volunteers, but this would be a very good added value to the site I think.

Reactions: Staimh

K.T.L.

Keeping Families Together
Donor
Mar 5, 2019
Just build your own payment processor bro.
Good luck with that.

[Soapbox]
When people, kicked off Twitter accompanied by calls to 'make your own platform' tried to do just that, it got promptly labelled far right and deplatformed while the likes of VISA, etc. stopped allowing them to collect payments to help keep the site running. It wasn't far right by any stretch of the imagination but the Silicon Valley companies use the 'moral' loopholes to shut down competition. There's a reason we live in a world 'ruled' by a few large corporations - it's because we've allowed them to make their own rules via their puppet politicians. People should be monitoring politicians bank balances...

You can't 'make your own payment processor' because the banks won't deal with you in favour of their pet corporations.
You can't 'make your own twitter' unless you have huge resources already because you'll be instantly deplatformed and the payment processors won't deal with you - competition again.
You can make your own game but you can't make make money from it unless the corporations decide to let you and they won't do that if you're offering up even the slightest bit of competition to their offerings.

Some people like to convince themselves that Silicon Valley is on a moral crusade, but they're wrong - it's all about money and control.
[/soapbox]

twiztid

Oct 21, 2020
One of the biggest incentivizes devs can do to make people support their game is to have an account on here and interact with fans and potential fans.

Most patrons/subscribers find the games on here and other sites like it. That is why many devs, including big ones, have accounts on here. A lot of them even post their game themselves.
I agree it is free exposure to them, if they advertise get feedback, make the game worthwhile while then those who can support will support it.

Cokane0

Koikatu Harem Master
Game Developer
Mar 18, 2020
Good luck with that.

[Soapbox]
When people, kicked off Twitter accompanied by calls to 'make your own platform' tried to do just that, it got promptly labelled far right and deplatformed while the likes of VISA, etc. stopped allowing them to collect payments to help keep the site running. It wasn't far right by any stretch of the imagination but the Silicon Valley companies use the 'moral' loopholes to shut down competition. There's a reason we live in a world 'ruled' by a few large corporations - it's because we've allowed them to make their own rules via their puppet politicians. People should be monitoring politicians bank balances...

You can't 'make your own payment processor' because the banks won't deal with you in favour of their pet corporations.
You can't 'make your own twitter' unless you have huge resources already because you'll be instantly deplatformed and the payment processors won't deal with you - competition again.
You can make your own game but you can't make make money from it unless the corporations decide to let you and they won't do that if you're offering up even the slightest bit of competition to their offerings.

Some people like to convince themselves that Silicon Valley is on a moral crusade, but they're wrong - it's all about money and control.
[/soapbox]
just make your own silicon valley bro.