VN Ren'Py Shards of the Past [v0.3.1] [Garou24]

4.80 star(s) 16 Votes

Woodstock_1983

Sep 16, 2020
Sharing - This is part of a random encounter I had written for later in the game. You and your group come across traveling merchants. One of them has an item you want, but you have nothing he wants in trade... or do you? His gaze sure is lingering on your female companion...
[/QUOTE]
Why not have sharing between you and females only. Where it's just you an two or more females. I don't like sharing my females with other males only with other females.

Dessolos

Forum Fanatic
Jul 25, 2017
I wish you can scroll back after the choices. I made a choice just to see what happens but had to load back just to choose something else. Also, Are there any point systems in this game? If so, they should have a mod to show what points are add and which is subtract. I chose to spy on the healer but I don't know if it caused a good karma or a bad karma. Also, are there any game over in this game?
yeah you have to use quick load and save before each choice if you do that like I do. a bit annoying but it's w/e

Woodstock_1983

Sep 16, 2020
View attachment 3549443
That one unlocks by watching Qinara change when she is in your room for the night, but turning away before getting caught.
that is the reason you should let the players scroll back. We can gain more gallery and then go back and play how we want. I'm tired of having to reload a game just to gain something. I feel any DEV that prevents scroll back after choices or without choices are just hateful.

Daddy-S

Aug 27, 2022
I wish you can scroll back after the choices. I made a choice just to see what happens but had to load back just to choose something else.
Its pretty bad form blocking rollback without good reason lets be honest, it really serves no purpose other than making people save/load everytime. You can also use the console and do config.rollback_enabled = True but every choice turns rollback block back on so may aswell just reload save or you need to mod to enable it.

Garou24

Game Developer
Nov 17, 2021
I wish you can scroll back after the choices. I made a choice just to see what happens but had to load back just to choose something else. Also, Are there any point systems in this game? If so, they should have a mod to show what points are add and which is subtract. I chose to spy on the healer but I don't know if it caused a good karma or a bad karma. Also, are there any game over in this game?
There are points for each of the characters and choices will raise or lower them. I didn't want to make them visible because I wanted players to go with their gut on choices or go with the way they want their character act and not feel like their choices are forced on them because they know it will raise or lower a stat. The way characters react should give you a good enough clue as to how they feel about a choice you have made.

There is a Renegade/Paragon system for some of the larger story choices that will come into play later in the story once you have made enough decisions one way or another.

There is no Game Over choice. A good example is the tavern fight scene, losing the fight does not cause any game over or force you to retry until you win. It changes many scenes going forward and adds in a few that would not be seen any other way. A few players told me they prefer to lose due to the scene with Qinara at the end of 0.2.0 version and losing the fight also opens up some more dialogue and options in the latest release as well. Options like that are just another way to play through the story, but will not be a Game Over type of event.

WastedTalent

Dec 11, 2020
I didn't want to make them visible because I wanted players to go with their gut on choices or go with the way they want their character act and not feel like their choices are forced on them because they know it will raise or lower a stat.
I don't want to speak for others, but that's the exact reason I won't play. 1 points systems/dating sims suck 2. not knowing the out come of a choice especially when it starts with pimp this chick out so you can get something you want... is terrible form. 3. If I wanted randomness and consequences for choices I'd go play real life....... again I can't speak for others but everything you said in that entire statement left me completely uninterested.
The banner and the preview renders look good though. so there's that.

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
I don't want to speak for others, but that's the exact reason I won't play. 1 points systems/dating sims suck 2. not knowing the out come of a choice especially when it starts with pimp this chick out so you can get something you want... is terrible form. 3. If I wanted randomness and consequences for choices I'd go play real life....... again I can't speak for others but everything you said in that entire statement left me completely uninterested.
i have some doubts you are actually able to live "real life".
my best guess would be that you are some early stages ai.
otherwise, despite having all functional parts in working order, you probably arent even able to walk, eat, drink or to perform any other basic task without regular help from the others.
i dont speak for all, just my 5 cents, so there is that.

WastedTalent

Dec 11, 2020
i have some doubts you are actually able to live "real life".
my best guess would be that you are some early stages ai.
otherwise, despite having all functional parts in working order, you probably arent even able to walk, eat, drink or to perform any other basic task without regular help from the others.
i dont speak for all, just my 5 cents, so there is that.
well my suspicion is your IQ is 5 since we're throwing out insults lol. But my message was for the dev not you but thanks for clarifying what a swami you are with your doubts, guess', and sharing your entire net worth. Happy fapping.

Woodstock_1983

Sep 16, 2020
100% agree. I like to have my women for me alone and no one else unless it's other females and I can join in sometimes lol.

DeFuZe

Jul 26, 2018
Just discovered this and it is a very promising game. It reminded me a lot of the Witcher lore especially the first game where the world is kinda bleak and oppressing and non-humans are being treated very badly. The visuals, renders, music and dialogue are very well made, you can see the dev put a lot of work and care into making this. I liked the characters especially Qinara and can't wait to see more of her. Wishlisted on Steam and will definitely grab a copy when it comes out. Good luck with the project. :love:

• Red Heart
Reactions: Abhai and Mipecio

slick97

Dec 2, 2021
I figured I may as well throw in my two cents without writing a full blown review - which is something I'm going to wait on until some of the RNG elements are fully implemented for the first act.

First off, Garou24, I'm thoroughly impressed with how you're handling branching paths by ensuring they still drive the main plot forward. I cannot express how important this skill is, as it allows you to avoid plotholes and retconning. You have a story where choices can change how some of the scenes play out, but you're never deviating from the plot (which is a huge pro in my book).

Secondly, I decided to pull back the curtain a bit after an initial playthrough just to see what's going on behind the scenes (so to speak)... and you're vastly underselling how many alterations occur just based on a few decisions. This next part contains spoilers, don't unblur the text unless you're okay with some of the magic being spoiled:
  • The fact that the very first choice completely changes who your third companion in was mind blowing to me. Even more so in that said companion ALSO alters how future scenes play out (i.e. Raelynn's subplot).
  • There seems to be 3 versions of Quinara you can experience:
    • Indifference: You've mostly ignored her emotions and subtle hints of attraction.
    • Friendly: You take notice of her opinions and generally treat her well without expressing a romantic interest.
    • Attraction: You've shown both kindness and an interest in her more than just being a friend.
  • Branson seems to have 2 versions you can experience (which also affects the flashback scenes a bit):
    • Cruelty: He's an absolute psychopath that disregards anyone that isn't his sister.
    • "Normal": He doesn't seem to have a wierd thing for his sister and mom.
  • Additionally, there seems to be seems to be some persistent variables (which are might be missing the persistent prefix) that you won't notice unless you're on a subsequent playthrough. The only variable I could find as of the current version was whether you experienced the dream or not, which only seems to be there for QoL purposes (I might be wrong on that assumption).

Thirdly - and I can't emphasize how great this is - is the fact that EVERY character seems to have been developed from a character sheet to fully flesh them out. While some are obviously important to the main plot (i.e. Quinara, MC, and Demerek/Branson), other supporting characters are capable of standing out on their own regardless of how they function in driving the plot forward. This is a fantastic example of someone who genuinely understands the workflow in creating a novel, and I just want to point that out for anyone who tries to claim the overall story is subpar.

I'm glad I noticed this gem in the latest updated section of the forums. I'm excited to see how the story and fanbase develop!

*Edit: fixed a wierd formatting issue with inline spoilers and lists

Garou24

Game Developer
Nov 17, 2021
Glad you enjoyed it! Yes there is a lot going on under the hood to create some branching, variation and hopefully meaningful rewards to the choices made. I do have character sheets for all the characters in the game. It helps to flesh them out and many side characters have large backstories and personality sections just like main characters. I find it is needed so I can make sure that I keep how characters react to situations consistent with their developing personalities.

LM10PRIME

Mar 4, 2024
To see a bulk of the scenes and their different variations you will need at least 4 playthroughs. Helping or not helping Damerek in the forest at the start of the game is a major split and then winning or losing the fight in the tavern also has a large impact on various scenes. then the smaller choices all add variation as well impact your relationship with Qinara. Many of the 1 on 1 scenes with her have 2 or 3 script and visual variations based on the relationship level you have with her. The effect of many choices is not always revealed immediately. Many are still having impact to the story and scenes shown even a couple updates after making them.
I need one more play through then
I won the fight, need to lose it now lol

Reactions: Garou24

The Pointman

Feb 16, 2023
I have an animation in this version now, but it's so small I didn't want to advertise it. It was more to test doing one and incorporating it. If things go well, I would like to include more in the future. I just wanted to get more experience with them before telling players to expect them.

Incest - Currently the incest is in a later part of the story and depends on which path you take; it would be between you the male character and 2 sisters.

Sharing - This is part of a random encounter I had written for later in the game. You and your group come across traveling merchants. One of them has an item you want, but you have nothing he wants in trade... or do you? His gaze sure is lingering on your female companion...
Could just you know take the item from the merchant sharing thats for cucks.

Reactions: Teddy 369

xert13

Sep 24, 2023
Looking through the comments, it appears the Dev is coy on having actual sex in the game? Cool beans if they just want to create a game with eye candy and story. Just curious if any sexy scenes will be included in the future. Sorry if this has been addressed already.

Garou24

Game Developer
Nov 17, 2021
Looking through the comments, it appears the Dev is coy on having actual sex in the game? Cool beans if they just want to create a game with eye candy and story. Just curious if any sexy scenes will be included in the future. Sorry if this has been addressed already.
There will be sex scenes, but the game is a slow burn and focuses on the story first so it will take time to develop a relationship with the main love interests before jumping into a lewd scene. There will be options for more of a one night stand sort of scene with some side characters or in certain random encounters. I wanted the scenes with the handful of main characters to occur naturally and in certain parts of the story.

Darkmetal

Jul 6, 2019
losing the fight does not cause any game over or force you to retry until you win. It changes many scenes going forward and adds in a few that would not be seen any other way.
Choosing to fight or not to fight leading to different paths is perfectly fine. However, TBH, I am not a fan of losing fight(s) on purpose to get scenes. It's a trope that is usually reserved for the Fem Protag "Broken Heroine" genre of adult games which are geared toward that outcome. For a male protag RPG, perhaps I've been too conditioned from years of regular gaming to play that way (I mean you don't go into a fight as Shepard, Revan, Geralt, Link etc. hoping to lose).

I guess what I'm not so subtly saying is, if one day you ever get the urge to streamline the paths to get releases out faster, I nominate the "lose to win" scenarios for the chop :ROFLMAO: . But, hey, it's your game. I can live with missing some path/scenes. (y)

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017
Choosing to fight or not to fight leading to different paths is perfectly fine. However, TBH, I am not a fan of losing fight(s) on purpose to get scenes. It's a trope that is usually reserved for the Fem Protag "Broken Heroine" genre of adult games which are geared toward that outcome.
It's kinda a big assumption that this proclaimed slow burn game would be in any way similar to pure hentai games.
Considering how the different paths work in the current version, I feel like trying to "get scenes" is not the intended way to play the game. Like e.g. there's nothing really gratifying about winning or losing the bar fight, but there's continuity to either outcome for immersion.

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
It's kinda a big assumption that this proclaimed slow burn game would be in any way similar to pure hentai games.
Considering how the different paths work in the current version, I feel like trying to "get scenes" is not the intended way to play the game. Like e.g. there's nothing really gratifying about winning or losing the bar fight, but there's continuity to either outcome for immersion.
he is trolling...

p.s.
and for mod/uploader who might delete this answer as "off topic", do have an elementary decency to sign that report, so we can continue from there.

4.80 star(s) 16 Votes