Others Abandoned Shadows Over Francia [v0.1] [GhostDjinn]

EAT
Trial Moderator
Uploader
Aug 5, 2016
GDG-Banner.png

Presenting Shadows over Francia

Shadows over Francia is an interactive erotic text-adventure, available for free. This is your story as the newest Slayer, a crusader of light whose world has been cast into the seductive embrace of shadow. Corruption, played both straight and subtly will claw at your soul and body, Slayer, and you must make every choice along the way. Careful now, for history was never apt to forget the sins of man.

And you will sin, won't you? Every man does, you won't be any different.

As a huge fan of corruption, I've decided to subvert the age old usage of the fetish. As such, Shadows over Francia's entire world is an experience in corruption - as development moves forward, the world will evolve in a progression of multiple fetishes in growing sexual misadventures.

Updated: 06-Apr-18
Developer/Publisher:
Censorship: None
Version: 0.1
Language: English
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Change-Log:

Download:
- - - - - - -

Mama Bunny

Single mom, Female Dev!
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 24, 2017
I have respect for people creating erotic text games. A big world with many choices, great descriptions and a good story that will encourage others to play - These are the most important features of a good text game. Good luck!

nad destroyer

Jul 27, 2017
I haven't given this a try yet but just wanted to say I really, really like the text style your using. Makes me think I'm playing old games like Thunderscape again.

Reactions: GhostDjinn

GhostDjinn

Game Developer
Dec 29, 2017
I have respect for people creating erotic text games. A big world with many choices, great descriptions and a good story that will encourage others to play - These are the most important features of a good text game. Good luck!
Each of the things you listed are also tenets I strongly adhere to as I build out this game!

I haven't given this a try yet but just wanted to say I really, really like the text style your using. Makes me think I'm playing old games like Thunderscape again.
Yeah, style and aesthetic is a huge thing for me. I think even games based on text should show their unique atmosphere and flavor through fonts and other GUI aesthetics.

Forgeshield

Aug 5, 2016
Not sure if this is an abrupt ending or a bug... I end up with a blank black screen no matter what I do with the scene in the outhouse with the barmaid and George. If I watch, it happens right after he finishes. If I interrupt, it happens after she says she will tell me whatever info I want, regardless of if I get the bj or not.

*edit* played through again, and ran into the black screen at a couple of earlier points while holding down the button to skip. Started again and clicked more slowly, and this time I did get a "you've reached the end" message after the above blowjob.

Last edited:

xfcgvhb

Apr 19, 2017
Hey really liked what I saw so far. Actual writing is ridiculously rare in these genre of games which is silly in my opinion. Threw some patreon support your way so that I can see more actual writing. And milf boobs. Hope this project keeps its current quality.

GhostDjinn

Game Developer
Dec 29, 2017
Hey really liked what I saw so far. Actual writing is ridiculously rare in these genre of games which is silly in my opinion. Threw some patreon support your way so that I can see more actual writing. And milf boobs. Hope this project keeps its current quality.
Firstly, thanks so much! It means a lot that you enjoyed what little there is so much!
Secondly, current quality? HA!

I plan to continuously improve the quality of Shadows over Francia for as long as possible!

Reactions: n0b0dy and xfcgvhb

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Bugs for me.

Seems the game has a problem with a lot of save/loading, or moving to different windows and back again or leaving it just running in background.

When starting/restarting, it doesn't open center of screen, twice it opened below taskbar.

Sometimes it refuses to allow mouse click to continue it forward, especially after a reload or moving to other windows.

Doing bar out of order (4 men before lone woman) the screen stays black when trying the men again.

End screen sometimes is just black (after bj)

Dudenator

Sep 2, 2017
Looks interesting so i'll give it a go which i normally don't do for news stuff due to all the zero content v0.01 blueball sims.

GhostDjinn

Game Developer
Dec 29, 2017
Thanks a lot for all the feedback so far, guys! I'm really pleased with the reception!

Looks interesting so i'll give it a go which i normally don't do for news stuff due to all the zero content v0.01 blueball sims.
It means a lot that you're going out of your way for this new project! I hope you'll be pleased with what you find!

As for blueballing... No worries, you won't be teased constantly with zero release - after all, all the tension has to go somewhere, doesn't it?

Liking it so far. Really enjoyed the writting.
Keep it up!
Thanks a bunch! Trust me, if you like this, you haven't seen anything yet. You have a lot to look forward to!
Stay posted!!!

Bugs for me...
First, thanks for bringing up these issues. I'll be testing some more to reproduce your issues and I hope to have fixed some problems by next release!

Reactions: Halexx

bumnedfe

Jun 29, 2017
I played the demo, and overall it seems pretty promising. A few bugs here and there, like the ones reported in this thread already, but considering this seems to be a bespoke engine (I think?) and this is the first version, those are understandable.

One I didn't see mentioned thus far is that the backlog is basically unusable, because the text is overlaid on itself and jumps around erratically as you scroll down. Also, it has everything as being said by the Narrator. Which I suppose is true, but it seems a bit superfluous to have it repeated so much, and that screen real estate could probably be better used on the backlog text itself. Finally, there's a bar showing how far you are through the backlog, but you can't click it/drag it to jump quickly (because clicking anywhere just exits the backlog), so it's of limited use.

I do have one concern, or question, however. Why does the tense of the (otherwise pretty good) writing keep changing? In the opening scene alone (with Adolf and Dietrich), we start in present tense, but if we choose to ask what happened, we slip into past tense (as in, the narration, not any of the characters), back into present tense, back into past again. In the scene with Jack, there's several examples, including a bit where we go between past and conditional-modal-present(?) tense within the same paragraph ("It was", then "You'd cup" in the very next sentence). This particular part reminds me of reading roleplay forums where everything involving another person has to be hypothetical ("I would give you the bowl") in-case the other player disagreed, resulting in a very stilted writing style, but there's no such need here. All of these changes of tense in quick succession disrupt the flow of the narrative (at least, it does for me) and are very noticeable. Again, the writing is pretty good when it's sticking to one tense.

But, overall, a very good showing, especially for a 0.1 first build. I look forward to more.

GhostDjinn

Game Developer
Dec 29, 2017
I played the demo, and overall it seems pretty promising. A few bugs here and there, like the ones reported in this thread already, but considering this seems to be a bespoke engine (I think?) and this is the first version, those are understandable.

I do have one concern, or question, however. Why does the tense of the (otherwise pretty good) writing keep changing?

But, overall, a very good showing, especially for a 0.1 first build. I look forward to more.
Hey! I'm glad you gave SoF a play and enjoyed it!

Secondly, thanks a lot for your feedback! I'm aware of the tense-swapping, and it's a weird little habit that's cropped up for me. Judging from feedback across the board, there are those that feel the narrative is unharmed by such tense usage, and others that're highly irritated by it. It is definitely something to keep an eye out for moving forward, and you can expect to see improvements as the project gains steam!

GhostDjinn

Game Developer
Dec 29, 2017
Coming soon is Shadows over Francia 0.1f - Daughter of the Night Update
Along with the fully completable Main Quest 1 - This patch will come with a slew of bugfixes, updates, passage revisions, additional options and more! Expect this one to be chock full of great fun and fucking!

Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

Reactions: xfcgvhb

K9

May 28, 2017
I usually like text adventures and corruption, so i gave this a try, but the way the text appears on screen annoys and distracts me to the point where i don't even know what I'm reading anymore. I'm too busy clicking continuously to make the text appear half as fast as I can read it, and one click too many makes the whole paragraph disappear to give way to the next, making the whole thing even more annoying. I gave up.

Please add an option to have the whole text appear at once on screen.

GhostDjinn

Game Developer
Dec 29, 2017
Update: Shadows over Francia 0.1f is soon arriving, and will feature an Open-Exploration Dungeon, known as The Hidden Altar...

Just what depravity could be hidden underneath Walpurga? :eek: