Unity Ren'Py Unreal Engine Seeking Development Guidance - How Essential is Python Really? Share Your Experiences

cascada

Aug 26, 2019
Hello, everyone! This is my first post here.
Sorry in advance if this is off-topic, or it should be somewhere else.o_O

I'm venturing into the design and development of NSFW videogames, and I've been exploring the technologies that are commonly used in this field, such as Unity, Unreal Engine, Ren'Py, and so on.

I'm a Computer Scientist and have been in the software industry for several years now. I'm well-versed with a variety of languages, including but not limited to C/C++, Python, Ruby, Scala, Julia, Haskell, etc.

I've been contemplating trying something different, and that led me to Ren'Py. I have a strong grip on Python as I use it regularly in my work, but as I looked at Ren'Py's syntax, I found it not to be very Pythonic. It seems to be more like a basic language with a lot of declaration statements. I do understand this might be due to the nature of the products it's used to create.

Can someone help me understand how it really works? Is Python ever used in the creation process? From what I understand, you can generate something like:

Python:
label start:   
     python:       
         variable_python = "example string"

But I'm not certain if this is a common practice or not.:unsure:

Any Python programmers who have used Ren'Py willing to share their experiences? Your insights would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards
Cascada

Reactions: TREXrg

x_309

Nov 15, 2020
Yes, that's common though for a single line python statement you can just prepend $ so '$ variable_ptyhon = "example string"' instead of creating a python block. For simple games python is mostly used for manipulating variables. Advanced python will be helpful for creating minigames or more advanced screen behavior but for basic VN stuff it is not needed.

Reactions: TREXrg